R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Cello Studios closes down  (Read 39433 times)

Myerberg

Re: Cello Studios closes down
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2005, 01:32:18 PM »

Quote:

I'm sorry Gary.. but you were nowhere near 6000 Sunset during it's "best years". I've heard far too many stories in the last 4 years to even consider it coming close to attaining the stature of what it once was. I'm actually pretty angry at the existing management for placing the property in the precarious position it now faces.

Rail

Well what do you really know Rail? You never came by in 6 years. Our owner left us penniless. Allen left us with a building in taters our crazy owner tore out the upstairs!? but we still managed to refurbish all the consoles fix 3/4 of the infrastructure 2/3rds of the roof, the plumbing, 5 ac units and give our clients world class service...Your angry? When we got the building it was fucked! A neglected step child. every cent we made went back into this building.

Am I surprised at your level of disrespect? Not at all, you along with squeeze Chevon and many other ney sayers were always tring to put us down and thats fine your entitled to your opinion as ignorant as it might be...

We were always booked our clients always came back our parking lot full when the rest of the city was idle. Including next door.. Who are you to judge? You listen to hearsay and make it fact. If you want facts Talk to Jim Scott/Don Was/Joe Chicarelli/Ed Cherny/Rick Rubin/Rich Costy/Bob Rock the list goes on and on they have an opinion because they worked here. Is this list enough to trump your BS "stories"

When you worked here did Ocean Way let you bring in bands and record.....No
All my staff got access to the rooms they served we all got to use this great place.
So go ahead and disrespect Candy and I what more would I expect from you.

Honestly I don't have any more time for blowhards you have nothing but speculation you no nothing of the circumstances and are far removed from the scene. but in spite of this you are the first to trumpet our demise and place blame as well

No class kid none at all....

The best years were the putnam years anyway. I take nothing but that knowledge and respect.

Candy and I did our best against all odd's and I am proud of what we did. Your disrespect is noted and expected.

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »

Actually Gary I know quite a bit... and I didn't mention a lot of what I know in this thread.

Allen never owned the building when he ran it as Oceanway... it was put together in the sales package to Cello.  The studios and their equipment were in excellent running condition when he sold the facility and remained in that condition until the maintenance agreement with Oceanway ran out.  If the building was in such bad shape when they bought it… why did they go through with the deal… or pay over 6 million for the privilege?  Candace, John and Holroyd put the package together for the owner…  who’s to blame?

I have spoken with some of those people in that list and you may be surprised to know what they really feel about the management and the conditions of Cello in your tenure.

Oh, and yes... I have worked at Cello twice since it was sold (heck, I even have a T-Shirt).

Oceanway has always had a high quality of standard… from it's maintenance to it's assisting staff.  I worked at Oceanway for 9 years and never had any downtime in all those years.. if something broke during a session I could work around it, and the problem would be fixed immediately or overnight by the on-site maintenance staff.  Whoever came in to work there (no matter their level of engineering experience) would always leave happy with the product and level of professionalism they received.

Yes, I date someone who successfully runs another studio - without having a 6-figure salary or a huge expense account...  Someone who would take a pay cut herself rather than not be able to hire qualified/paid assistants and runners.  Someone who runs a studio with no maintenance issues and which is old but clean… and a staff who know what they're doing.  Someone who is respected by the engineers and producers she works with… and who consider them more than clients... but family.  I may add she also took a studio, which had no clients and was in terrible condition and turned it into a studio that runs consistently in the black -- and has one of the best reputations in town.  Someone who’s run a studio that has fostered more successful producers and engineers than any other studio I know.  Perhaps you can list your management’s experience of running a successful studio -- how many studios has she run which no longer exist?

Lastly, I'd heard a week ago that the owner was going to file bankruptcy -- how come you didn't warn your staff or the clients who were working there?

Hardly dancing on the grave of a facility I love... rather pissed off at the folks who didn't know how to run it successfully.

I absolutely agree the Putnam years were the best years (I never said that they weren’t)... however Oceanway continued that high level of service and I’m proud to have worked there under Allen’s ownership.  You’re correct, I didn’t get to bring in my own free sessions... but Oceanway helped to get me my own paying sessions… one of which garnered me both TEC and Grammy nominations for engineering... how many of your staff have become successful independent engineers?

Rail Jon Rogut
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

Eric Rudd

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »

Rail Jon Rogut wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 19:40

Oceanway has always had a high quality of standard? from it's maintenance to it's assisting staff.

Speaking of which, Rail, where is Bruce Marion these days?

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2005, 02:56:59 PM »

Bruce is still with Oceanway.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Myerberg

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2005, 05:51:25 PM »

I have allot of passion for what I do it gets me in trouble but it's the only way I know
you cross a line you talk a line. You push the wrong buttons.

I must say I am impressed!! your a regular encyclopedia of misinformation.....With that inside track you should buy Cello...I hardly have time (like you) to go back and fourth. But BS must be answered. I only knew the reality on Thursday so if you knew a week ago you should have called! Shame on you...

Obviously you have your finger in the crack don't you. I can smell it from here, You are plugged in! Your career must be booming. Of course you know that a massive fraud was committed against Cello and has closed 4 other area studios as well as our's. It isn't as you claim mismanagement, we are victims of white collar crime of the highest order. This is Bush America so if your Collar is white you win!!Between this and a disinterested owner we were out of time. Your ignorant words speak for themselves. Kick people when their down...I don't know you but I can tell that you are a class act.(NOT)

I am proud of what I accomplished at Cello, You have no idea because you never worked at Cello....As with any facility, some people like, some people don't. It happens everywhere Oceanway, A&M Capitol you name it. In the end the marketplace decides and in this tight market we had a lions share!

You cannot be a MAN by having the opinion of others. if you don't have first person experience you should humble your opinion because it is only you speaking another's words which goes to the heart of the matter..... Your Credibility!

There are others from your time with a better view. Alan Sanderson, Jon Sorenson, Jen. All understand the difference between how we treated our people and how other studios did their business.

Rail, I don't know you (only your roumor mill) maybe my own experience can explain your problem....I had almost 14 years at A&M but I have been gone for 6. In the day If somebody would tell me A&M is better then ever, I used to shrug with disdain. If someone said It was great I ignored it, if they said it sucked I latched on to it..after a while I realized it was only because of my memories mixed with nostalgia and misplaced loyalty clouding the reality and my credibility..The truth Is I have not been there in 6 years..So it could very well be better than its ever been.

I will leave it there. I really feel that you want the last word so be my guest. I have real work to do, I have kid's to support and a job to find... responsibilities beyond anything you can grasp. I only came to this forum to answer>I have done that.
I am now done with this process. Who has the time.

Bruce is celebrating 20 years at Oceanway doing what he always does making it happen! he is the greatest and I owe him a great debt of thanks. As I do Allen Sides.
There are many people who have credibility and I will always listen to what they say...You just don't happen to have any.

Over and Out of here.

Mark Ettel

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2005, 06:33:06 PM »

>I absolutely agree the Putnam years were the best years (I never said that they weren?t)... however Oceanway continued that high level of service and I?m proud to have worked there under Allen?s ownership<

Huh? The best years were when I was there. Very Happy

RMoore

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2005, 06:50:42 PM »

<Of course you know that a massive fraud was committed against Cello and has closed 4 other area studios as well as our's. It isn't as you claim mismanagement, we are victims of white collar crime of the highest order. `>

Just curious - what was the fraud?
Like most people here (I assume) - hate to see a classic facility get into trouble
Thanks for the info,
RM
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

patrick_wilson

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2005, 08:34:47 PM »

This is my first post here, what an amazing resource all of you are!  
My band Weezer has recorded there extensively and it has always been a pleasure. It's very sad that it might be flattened and it's certainly eye-opening to me that the market for studios is so tough.
The big room has the best drum sound when you stick the drums in the little area next to the control room with partitions.
Maybe someone will keep it going but it seems more and more unlikely as I speak with people.
Best,
PW  

David Bock

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »

What happened to the deal to turn it back into Western Studios?
It would be  an absolute shame to loose the structure as it is! BTW, for anyone who hasn't been there, you can get a tiny glimpse of it in the movie, "what's love got to do with it" which was filmed in Studio One (the great big room) and it's iso room.
If I had never worked there I never would have lived to see the day it cost $400k in FOOD ALONE to make a hit record!
Gary, if you're throwing out the ATR 124 remotes I'll take one for my machine.
Regards,
David Bock
Soundelux Microphones
Hollywood, CA
six blocks away

Geoff Grace

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2005, 04:44:11 AM »

This just makes me sad. My heart goes out to all who have been affected.

I only recorded there during the Ocean Way years and only a handful of times; but I was there enough to know what would be lost if the building were torn down.

Now, I'm more grateful than ever for Altiverb's Cello Studios impulse responses. Let's hope that's not all that's left in a few months...

Life can sure be strange sometimes - here I am in a virtual cyberspace raising the subject of a virtual Cello Studios. What's next?

Best,

Geoff
Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2005, 12:49:25 PM »

Sorry Gary

I’m not uninformed, you unfortunately seem to have been misinformed if you only knew about the bankruptcy on Thursday.  Perhaps you should be wondering why you weren’t informed... rather than attacking me.

As for the so-called “massive fraud”… I’ll let you explain your issues with the company you claim has done you no good.

I apologize to George for voicing my anger here... but the potential loss of something I hold dear has made me very angry.  This has nothing to do with any rivalry between studios – if that were the case I would be happy for my girlfriend who no doubt will be getting plenty of calls to fill the gap left by this.

As those who know me can attest to, I tend to be too blunt sometimes.  I’ll let that aspect of this thread drop.

Best regards to all… and I actually wish you well Gary.

Rail Jon Rogut
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2005, 01:14:38 PM »

Honesty is one thing , Vitriol is another ....
We actually are all in this together
In the tenor of where we need to be and need to be going
I am glad and relieved to see Rail bury the hatchet and ask Gary to do the same
I do not want the importance or the greatness of Cello/Ocean Way/United Western
to be overshadowed by the petty bickering of 2 guys that probably actually agree with each other over many of the KEY issues here
Gary, on a personal note, I wish you and your family the best and everyone who just lost their gigs .... I never thought this day would come ....

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Curve Dominant

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2005, 02:23:06 PM »

Maybe someone who's name begins with an R will step in and save Cello...

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2005, 03:14:23 PM »

Eric Vincent wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 11:23

Maybe someone who's name begins with an R will step in and save Cello...

Rick would certainly be an excellent candidate for saving the studio... he loves the rooms and definately could afford it.  He already has two "studios" though and I honestly don't know if he'd want the headache (or cost) of owning a professional facility.

I'd be happy if he did buy it though.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Dave Rosen 1st

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2005, 03:38:55 PM »

I was going to post information on this site this morning in regards to 6000 sunset but then decided I do not know the legal issues if I did.  I have researched some figures in regards to the price owed on the building as well as its bankruptcy status.  I have also had conversations in regards to the Sunset Gower redevelopment project.  

If I can be any help to any interested buyers please contact me

Dave Rosen
World Link Digital
(818)842-2828

I am only interested in helping those who will keep 6000 Sunset a recording studio
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.