R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAB tube consoles?  (Read 8035 times)

Mu-Mao

EAB tube consoles?
« on: January 26, 2005, 07:28:18 AM »

Does anyone have any information on EAB tube consoles or their manufacturer?

I know that the infamous ( Very Happy ) Mike Tholen had one that you restored Oliver, and I have also seen a couple of others for sale at quite reasonable prices on the web. Many of these  have only  a mono summing bus.

I have been able to find almost no information as to the background, history or construction of these desks .

I presume that the mono models are from the 1950's or 60's  and I also assume that EAB was a German company. Are these designs also IRT related?

The consensus on these soundwise seems to be that they are nice but very "coloured" sounding and that they would not be appropriate for every type of recording. This doesn't sound like something someone would say about a V series derived design.

Anyone know anything about these?

Best

D. Toner

Oliver Archut

Re: EAB tube consoles?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:34:09 PM »

Hello D. Toner,

EAB belonged to the long list of german companies that started after the war with high quality Cinema/Studio and Broadcast equipment. The console series as you refer to is a none IRT speced line, build for mobile TV studios. There were several different versions made, all input modules were built around the E282CC tube (very hard to find and expensive), the master section is related to the V41 with two EF806s tubes, x-formers are identical to the V4x series, mixing and routing is passive (changed that over to active modules in Mikes monster)
Mikes project was aimed to get a EMI style console, so everything was changed, all x-former modified/rewound, etc.

If you do not have a qualified tech that can keep the board up and running, it is a pain in the rear, rebuilding and modifying like Mikes is very priciy, so buying a used one for dayly recording is quite a mess.

The colored sound of all used once is due to old tubes, components, etc. Every x-former on Mikes board came with leaky/broken x-former, the entire PVC wire and some silk insulated flaked away, quite a nightmare...

Passing signal does mean studio useable

The end result was quite stunning, for more info check out http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/RE85.html

Hope that helps you
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.