R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Graduation  (Read 1688 times)

Dave Soukup

After Graduation
« on: January 24, 2005, 02:43:29 AM »

Hello all,

Here is my delema, I am currently attending a recording school in the midwest. I will be graduating with an A.A.S in recording engineering. With graduation I am left with the decision on what to do. I am 20 years old, and I have interned at a local studio. I even got assistant engineer credits on album thats soon to be released. The question is I am planning on getting another internship once I am done with school but also putting as much money away to start a studio of my own. I figure I can get a decent  setup for around the 13-15k range with a tac scorpion or soundcraft ghost, and alesis hd recorder, a digi001 and other decent but not high end equipment. I would really just like to setup in some sort of warehouse or house and do record there with little or no consturcion. I figure I could charge 35/40 an hour, and be able to pay the bills and have money left over each month to pay myself and put money back into the studio for better equipment. This I would start this in about a year that way I could pay for most of the equipment with my own money and get a loan for the console. The area I want to do this, has 5 colleges and basicly 1 studio thats somewhat affordible in the area. Lots of bands around doing the "indie" thing. I think that it would be a rough but good way to work my way up in the industy. I would really like some other opinions about this. I have a backup plan in case too..I have an A.A.S degree in computer and network technology if the music thing doesn't pan out.

Thanks

Guerilla Recordings

Matt Johnson

Re: After Graduation
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 05:57:57 PM »

Well, that's quite the project you're looking to start.  I'm also in the Midwest and picked up a degree in engineering.  (although I learned more on a 6 hour live gig than I did in a whole year there)  I got together with another student and started a live sound company (just about $3k to start).  We first wanted to open a recording studio, but thought better of it.  The live sound avenue left us with less overhead (no rent, just a garage or basement), and we made ourselves so bloody cheap that bands lined up to use us.  

Now we've grown big enough to open our own studio and we've been working long enough with the local acts to already have a good customer base to work off of.  The live sound is still our bread and butter, but we're hoping to eventually sell off that side of the company in lieu of a thriving studio.  

But it's tough, with every MF employee telling people they can have their own recording studio with a computer, $300 interface, and $100 mic.  Without some sort of 'in' with the local music scene, you'll be hard-pressed to make enough money to cover rent.  Much less pay off a loan for gear or put anything in your pocket.  

I guess just think it through and realize it will take time to get customers.  

Chad Sims

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »

I live and work in a college town and what you have to remember is people in those area's are not there to stay, just when you built up a great relationship with a band they move out of town and leave you with one fewer client.

twigg

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:39:22 PM »

You have to think about the fact that bands can record at these schools for free (I'm assuming). That's the way it was at the school I went to.

Doing live sound to build a client base is not a bad idea but it doesn't always work. I built up a client base by working at a real studio. I met a lot of people and kept a lot of contacts.

Stay in touch with everybody you went to school with. Once every 2 months or so I call everybody in my phone book just to keep in touch. Last time I did that I got a gig out of it. You never know...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 17 queries.