R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rethinking my studio..help!  (Read 4735 times)

wolfmanjack

Rethinking my studio..help!
« on: January 21, 2005, 02:21:29 AM »

Ok I am a 70's type rocker, R&B, soft rock, jazz type composer, Right now this is my set up
Roland MV8000
DR880 drum machine
midiman 49 controller
UB1202 mixer
Triton Rack
and a crappy computer
As of now I am thinking of selling the MV
and getting the digi 002 Rack and a computer to work it.
This I understand will take me from my basic composition, to sequencing, and mixdown and mastering..and has some nice softsynth sounds.
Any ideas?. or other suggestions?
Also, my midi knowledge is lacking and the teaching help you can get for Pro Tools seems as it will help a lot!!!
Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.

Norwood

Re: Rethinking my studio..help!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »

wolfmanjack wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 23:21

Ok I am a 70's type rocker, R&B, soft rock, jazz type composer, Right now this is my set up
Roland MV8000
DR880 drum machine
midiman 49 controller
UB1202 mixer
Triton Rack
and a crappy computer
As of now I am thinking of selling the MV
and getting the digi 002 Rack and a computer to work it.
This I understand will take me from my basic composition, to sequencing, and mixdown and mastering..and has some nice softsynth sounds.
Any ideas?. or other suggestions?
Also, my midi knowledge is lacking and the teaching help you can get for Pro Tools seems as it will help a lot!!!

The MV is a great piece, but, for full production recording, you will be much happier in PT.  The learning curve isn't too steep, and the flexibility in editing and mixing will make you feel like you have just been released from prison.  My first recording experience was on a Roland VS-880, and I almost went blind and crazy trying to navigate everything through that stupid lcd screen.  About 4 years ago I made the switch to DAW and never looked back.  The 002 is great but check out some other stuff as well, like MOTU 828, 896hd, or 2408mk3 (this would be great with your drum machines/synths) also the RME boxes are great, just keep your mind open and you'll find one that fit's your needs perfectly.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

Frankster

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 02:45:57 PM »

I went throught, Pro Tools, Cakewalk HS 2004, Acid Pro 3.0, and my computer was a headache. I finally bought a VS2480CD w/ 17" LCD and an RPC-1 Card for my PC. I think I died and went to heaven. I use Acid Pro 3.0 in the PC as a drum machine and send drum tracks to the VS to add the rest of the songs tracks to. I have Wave Lab so I can send my VS stereo Master tracks back to the PC for mastering or just master in the VS. I tried Sonar, it's OK but I like the hands on control I get with the VS. Sonar doesn't agree with my PC either so that's been a problem.

There are other systems out there that Tascam and Akia make, these systems are very stable and can link to your PC. I've had next to no problems with my VS2480CD and it never crashes on me. My PC, I'm on my 4th PC and many music programs and plugins but only one VS2480CD. If you have $5K to $7K to spend on a computer setup go with Pro Tools and a G5 Dual setup, I've heard a lot of good things about them. Something less expensive, Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, they all are good for the money.

Do you like doing a lot of the computer editing, envelopes, etc? Then go that route. Myself, I'm an old 70s rocker and the hands on analog tape gear with knobs, pads, faders etc is what I relate to so the VS2480CD fits that bill, for me. The PC is still a headache and I'm still trying to make it work for me as good as the VS. I see you have a smaller VS unit so maybe that's a plus? At least you are familiar with it. Adding a 17" LCD to the VS is like adding Sonar or Pro Tools, you have the visual and that makes all the difference to me. Later, Frank.
"MORE GUITARS" "MORE MUSIC"
 FrankinaBox@aol.com

George_

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 10:37:13 PM »

What I found out in general (as a non pro):

Cubase/Nunendo ==> running on RME-Card + ADI-8/multiface whatever ==> ON PC ==>stable

Logic ==> running MOTU-interface (896 blah) ==> ON MAC ==> stable

mac does is better with motu while PC is more stable with RME.

Go along.. it's a matter of taste and money.. Pro Tools is an incredible audiotool but lacks in midi-things.. and it's fuckin overpriced;)
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.