R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian WIlson had one working ear  (Read 25015 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Brian WIlson had one working ear
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 11:25:17 PM »

I wonder if Brian Wilson has done any ear candles.   Rolling Eyes  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Jon Autry

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 01:49:02 AM »

Keef wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 13:21

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 12:15

Keef wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 10:26

I assume if Brian's hearing problms is one reason why he did not like stereo recordings?

Not at all. Brian was into the same style of production and the same musicians as Phil Spector. It is very dependent on using huge amounts of chamber reverb that just plain doesn't work in stereo. Our mid '60s Motown recordings had the same problem. Most people are shocked by how much more exciting the mono mixes sound. Brian and Spector tried to block the release of stereo versions and it got picked up by the press.

Dont' tell people who want surround sound that mono is exciting, they will laugh in your face. Mono homogonizes the music. It sounds all together in your face. That's not how it is when you go to concerts, classical or rock. Having some separation so you can distinguish parts at least for me sounds better. I have yet to get excited about a mono recording.

It is true though that the reverb they used back then did not work in stereo which I think was a key factor.

Well, I have yet to get excited about a surround mix and I am often tempted to cynically laugh at the failure so far (at least in my opinion) for anyone to create music/surround mixes that justify the ridiculous format(s).

Take care,
Jon Autry

Jon Autry

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 01:50:05 AM »

Austin Ince wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 14:29

What about old Beethoven, his stuff has got to have been covered more that Brian Wilson's.

yeah, but he has a few years on Brian...

Smile

sirfun

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »

I saw Brian Wilson with an 11 piece band at a 2000 seat theater about 2 months ago--Perfect!!!

Steve Hudson

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »

Jon Autry wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 00:49

Well, I have yet to get excited about a surround mix and I am often tempted to cynically laugh at the failure so far (at least in my opinion) for anyone to create music/surround mixes that justify the ridiculous format(s).

I heard the surround mix of Dark Side of the Moon in George Massenburg's massively diffuse room at Blackbird and that made me a believer in surround mixing. It was an order of magnitude more compelling than the stereo mix, which I love.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Ashermusic

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »

Although I have a problem with the artistic choices in The Beatles "Love" surround sound mixes, the way you can hear all the elements is stunning.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

Edvaard

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »

With both ears put together, I think that my brother has about 20 or 30 % of the hearing capability that Brian Wilson has.

And just one of my ears is probably at least 110 % of whatever Brian Wilson has, in a purely technical sense.

Either of us wish that we could do anything half close to what he does musically.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.