R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian WIlson had one working ear  (Read 25010 times)

RMoore

Brian WIlson had one working ear
« on: January 16, 2005, 07:52:13 PM »

Yet produced 'Pet Sounds' & quite successfully I would say
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

ted nightshade

Re: Brian WIlson had one working ear
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 08:50:15 PM »

After having a friend's not-so-cute 10 year old scream directly into my right ear, at Thanksgiving dinner, I may be down to one good ear myself.

Basically, I'm quite grateful to have even one ear that works exceptionally well. I've come to the understanding that strangling the kid won't bring my hearing back.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

RMoore

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 09:46:50 PM »

Jeez - sorry to hear that,
You'd think at 10 they'd know better..
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Eric Rudd

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:36:20 AM »

So did Al Schmitt for a while.

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric Rudd

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 10:37:52 AM »

Oh...and David Pack from Ambrosia.

Still one of my favorite pop vocalists.

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:26:48 AM »

I assume if Brian's hearing problms is one reason why he did not like stereo recordings?

Your Ad Here!

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 12:10:24 PM »

Yeah, but Pet Sounds was mono.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 12:15:13 PM »

Keef wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 10:26

I assume if Brian's hearing problms is one reason why he did not like stereo recordings?

Not at all. Brian was into the same style of production and the same musicians as Phil Spector. It is very dependent on using huge amounts of chamber reverb that just plain doesn't work in stereo. Our mid '60s Motown recordings had the same problem. Most people are shocked by how much more exciting the mono mixes sound. Brian and Spector tried to block the release of stereo versions and it got picked up by the press.

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:26 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 12:15

Keef wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 10:26

Not at all. Brian was into the same style of production and the same musicians as Phil Spector. It is very dependent on using huge amounts of chamber reverb that just plain doesn't work in stereo. Our mid '60s Motown recordings had the same problem. Most people are shocked by how much more exciting the mono mixes sound. Brian and Spector tried to block the release of stereo versions and it got picked up by the press.

Dont' tell people who want surround sound that mono is exciting, they will laugh in your face. Mono homogonizes the music. It sounds all together in your face. That's not how it is when you go to concerts, classical or rock. Having some separation so you can distinguish parts at least for me sounds better. I have yet to get excited about a mono recording.

It is true though that the reverb they used back then did not work in stereo which I think was a key factor.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »

I remain 100% convinced that almost all entertainment is by far most effective in whatever format it was originally produced for.

Surround music won't go anywhere until several people have actually PRODUCED recordings SPECIFICALLY for the format that are big hits. The question is if Wall Street and the consumer electronics industry will have enough patience. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Eric Rudd

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 02:03:57 PM »

Keef wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 18:21

Dont' tell people who want surround sound that mono is exciting, they will laugh in your face. Mono homogonizes the music. It sounds all together in your face. That's not how it is when you go to concerts, classical or rock.

Step out of the room.....and all music is mono.
It still comes down to whether or not the song/artist are good, ultimately.

BTW, as far as rock concerts go, there's an environment that generally sounds mono. I'll generalize to say most are mixed to provide coverage of the stage instruments to all areas of the audience. Not to provide a stereo image. (which would be lost on all but the most select seats)

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ozzy

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »

What about old Beethoven, his stuff has got to have been covered more that Brian Wilson's.

The Scottish classical percussionist Evelyn Glennie is profoundly deaf also.

http://www.evelyn.co.uk/

Bobro

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 02:49:47 PM »

Keef wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 18:21

Dont' tell people who want surround sound that mono is exciting, they will laugh in your face. Mono homogonizes the music. It sounds all together in your face. That's not how it is when you go to concerts, classical or rock. Having some separation so you can distinguish parts at least for me sounds better. I have yet to get excited about a mono recording.

Well I want surround, what a groovy thing, and I find mono very exciting too. Mono doesn't necessarily equal all-together-in-your-face, usually there's a very clear hierarchy to the sounds in a mono mix, front to back, and there can be a really nice feally of heighth/depth. That being said, I agree that mono
can easily be made to be aggressively up front- I'm surprised there isn't more mono around these days with the "loudness wars" and all.

By coincidence I've just been asked to do a mono recording, very enjoyable.

-Bobro

seriousfun

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »

Even with one ear, you can tell whether a sound is coming from behind you, or whether it is to your right or left.

The shape of your ear directs sound into the ear cavity differently depending on its relative location.

One-ear musicians can't perceive a stereo (def: from the greek for solid - no mention of "two") image the way most of us can, so we can't blame Brian for not thinking in terms of creating a stereo image with his productions. Multiple ears and transducers are definately better at experiencing acoustic spaces, and unless you regularly work in an anechoic chamber, we rarely hear anything that is not influenced by the room around it.
doug osborne | my day job

ted nightshade

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 10:42:31 PM »

Man, I love mono. One mic mono, especially (although I tend to sneak in a little room mic). It can certainly be deeply thrilling! Mostly has to do with the performance.

Oh, and anyone who wants to laugh in my face can go right ahead! I can't imagine what my life would be like if I lived it trying to avoid that sort of thing...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 16 queries.