R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The present and future of monitoring  (Read 27652 times)

compasspnt

Re: The present and future of monitoring
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2006, 09:48:35 PM »

max cooper wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 21:09

I'll admit that I'm one of those weirdos who listens to single driver speakers at home and wonders if we lost something when everything went two-way +.

What speakers, Max?  I have been thinking a lot about this.

T

howlback

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2006, 04:57:22 AM »

It makes perfect sense to me that NS10s work very well for mixing : they are "well matched" to the size of most mixing rooms that I have seen.  Their limited LF response is in fact a benefit.

The biggest problem with close fields is that the lower the extension of the speaker, the farther away from the wall it must be - or bass management becomes a must. Most people don't set-up their close field monitors properly (which is fine - if it works).  

Personally I have noticed several people 'dis-ing Genelec when their speakers were not set-up properly, resulting in a bright sound that they complain about (not to imply that this is the case with anybody here).  I have also noticed that there are a few other manufacturers who actually capatalize on the stupidity of their clients by making non-linear speakers which sound "better" than more linear speakers when not properly configured in a room.  Do they make better mixes?  I dunno.

Whenever people complain about speakers, the first thing I think about is the room and the configuration.

Anyway, talented people seem to be able to mix on almost anything!

max cooper

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 20:48

max cooper wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 21:09

I'll admit that I'm one of those weirdos who listens to single driver speakers at home and wonders if we lost something when everything went two-way +.

What speakers, Max?  I have been thinking a lot about this.

T

I started with Cain & Cain's which use a Fostex driver and then I moved up to a Lowther driver speaker.  The enclosures are made by a  company called Rethm.

They're pretty addictive.
I'm infinitely baffled.

Andy Simpson

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2006, 08:01:04 PM »

NS10's for orchestral recording?
Choir?
It's how all about how the mix translates?

......oh please.....

I got hold of a copy of Rumours (fleetwood mac) again last week and ran it up on my horn'd mackies....fucking hell.....that is a GREAT sounding record! (One of the best I've ever heard) The louder you run it, the better it sounds!

Tell me that was mixed (or tracked) on NS10s (or any kind of nearfields) and I'll eat my hat.....Wink

Andy

PS, if anyone can fill me in on the signal path and recording history of that album, please PM me!....thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.