R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should the DAW influence a recorded PCM at all?  (Read 4334 times)

Patrik T

Should the DAW influence a recorded PCM at all?
« on: February 25, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »

Hello all.

I'm recording through at 24 bit converter to a PC. My DAW is set to recording depths of 24 bits. There is a 24 bit PCM file on my HD after the recording.

So I wonder - this file, with its 24 bits depth, shouldn't it really be just a plain 24 bit PCM file regardless what DAW I use for the recording? I mean - can different DAW's influence the recorded file evethough it is just a wordlength that exits out from my A/D and onto the HD.

I know that when it comes to playback, different DAW's might sound different and especially with a mix going on. But the basic recorded file, isn't that just a 24 bit PCM that has nothing to do what host that have been used?

The basic reason I'm asking is that I downloaded the demo of Samplitude and inserted a project comprising of two tracks (mid/side) that was recorded in Sonar. I copied these from the Sonar's audio folder. The M/S encoding thorugh the Samplitude mixer sounded way more in phase than the same scenario in Sonar.

The M/S encoding in this case is just the M+S hard to the left and the M-S hard to the right. All faders are at unity gain at both the track channels and the output (the S channel was lower in recording and became just fine when S and M are at unity)

So - what I hear in this case should just be how the different audio engines are handling and playing back this extremely basic mix, comprising of two "double-cloned" 24 bit PCM tracks, right?

UnderTow

Re: Should the DAW influence a recorded PCM at all?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 08:51:15 AM »

You might want to check the pan laws in both applications. Also, make sure that the M and S channels are sample accurately synced. I think Samplitude introduces a fade in/out on clips (or maybe only on mix down). That could move things about a sample or so. I'm not sure as I have never used Samplitude ...

UnderTow

Patrik T

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 04:38:26 PM »

There were automatic fade ins in Samplitude on the clips so I eliminated those.

Since the demo of Samplitude ain't able to export any mix, I placed a realtime recorder on the mixbus and recorded the output. Did the same on the Sonar mixbus. And hence could easier flip between two "similar" grasps that has been subject to similar "treatment".

And the two hosts sounds...different. It might be Samplitude is just playing the 24 bit file as it is and that Sonar have some sweetening going on. I don't know. I'm still evaluating.

I believe the pan laws are equal since the two different hosts realtime-recorded output files yields the same highest peaks and so on.

Anyways - what is interesting to know is if the recorded files (using Sonar) were not subject to anything else than what happened in the A/D. That they were just placed on the HD as a 24 bit PCM that exited my A/D. That nothing passed the host's "engine".

I would need some ensurement about that this transportation from the A/D to a place on the HD is "just what's happening" during a recording using any DAW host. Or do they affect/change the audio in their own sonical manner upon recording?

They shouldn't, right?

So if someone knows...

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 01:04:34 AM »

Generally if the track is raw and unprocessed 24 bit recorded PCM wave, than it should sound the same in any quality DAW program. If you hear differences than:

1. There is a malfunction somewhere.

2. The user made a pilot error and isn't aware of it. This could be routing, gain summing or a number of other factors, too many to mention.

3. The pilot is imagining the difference.

# 3 is by far the most common explanation. If you aren't testing in the blind than you aren't testing. Don't leave everything up to the ear, corroborate your audible perceptions with the blind and double blind tests, null testing and analysis of the audio spectrum. If you can't measure the difference, you best blame your ears for it.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------