R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiband compression .....  (Read 14413 times)

djwayne

Re: Multiband compression .....
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 11:03:47 AM »

Well at this time we're concerned with "How does it sound on SoundClick," as that's our only outlet right now. Our mixes may not win any technical achievement Grammies, but do get the point of the song across, and that is our goal. We want the best sounding mp3's we can make, and the multi-band compressor does indeed help.

"Best sounding mp3's" may sound like an oxymoron to some people, but it's been my experience with mp3's that some sound much better than others, and that's due to production. Garbage in, Garbage out, does indeed apply.

By listening to other mp3's on SoundClick, I have found that there is a wide spectrum of quality sounding mp3's to be found there. Recording in a proper professional studio is not an option for us, because of the amount of time we spend working on songwriting in the home studio enviorment. So we do what we can.

My recent sessions with Lekzee turned into a nine day session. At an average of 6 hours a day, times 9 days, equals 54 hours of studio time, even at $20 an hour, that's way out of her budget.

So we do what we can with the tools we have.

And if any of you perfectionists, would like to record Lekzee for gratis, I'm sure she'd be happy to come and stay at your place  for a couple of weeks. Of course you'll have to pay all her expenses, food, housing, phone bills, .. ect...with no guarantees of any payment or perks.

Ronny

Re: Multiband compression .....
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 11:34:15 AM »

Pingu wrote on Sun, 12 March 2006 10:28

Can someone give a rough example of the typical chain of effects used in broadcast for music/radio please?

Not so much FX devices, meaning verb, delay, chorus, flanger, etc, but a rough example of a typical broadcast chain according to Bob Orban, may go like this:

Phase rotator

AGC

Stereo enhancer

Eq

Multi-band comp

Pre-emphasis and HF limiter

If you want to find out more about it, read Frank and Bob's article onm if I remember correctly it's called "What Happens To My Recording On The Radio" or something to that effect. There used to be a copy that you could download on Brad's website.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------