R/E/P > Bruno Putzeys (Designer) - Dave Hecht (Master Tech)

1 Source 2 Destinations - Impedance Matching?

(1/2) > >>

Jason Thompson:
I guess we're here now. So here goes.

In the past, I've tried just wiring up a y cable from my main "monitor" outs on the console to 1) the input on the amp that runs the nearfields and 2) the sub. I put a toggle switch on the one that goes to the sub. When the switch was open and the sub would come on, the studio speakers would dim. I guess it's because I was robbing half of the load?

Thanks,

Jason

John Roberts {JR}:
You are forming a simple voltage divider between the source (output) impedance of your send, and the input impedance of the two amplifiers.

When both amps are connected you have their input impedance in parallel.

In general the input impedance of the amps should be high (10k ohm) or so, and the source impedance of your console output should be low (600 ohms or less).

This level drop should not be very large (< 1 dB).   If you are experiencing a larger drop in level, you may have unusually low input impedances, unusually high source impedance, or both...

JR

Jason Thompson:
Thanks, JR for the quick reply. I was using this method on a different console at the time. I want to do something similar but didn't want the same result. I'll try again and see if it's good.

John Roberts {JR}:
Note: when connecting to two destinations from a single balanced 3 wire send, either of the two destinations could imbalance the balanced output and cause noise.

JR

Ales Dravinec:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on February 01, 2011, 12:36:07 PM ---Note: when connecting to two destinations from a single balanced 3 wire send, either of the two destinations could imbalance the balanced output and cause noise.

JR

--- End quote ---

Unbalancing the balanced line may also provide for fore mentioned level drop (6dB).
Maybe here's the catch ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version