R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re amping bass  (Read 1344 times)

Hack

re amping bass
« on: January 08, 2005, 03:00:35 PM »

So I want to reamp a bass track to get more air around the sound.  The DI just sounds too much like a ... well, DI.  I am working with a limited number of tracks so I was wondering what some of yalls techniques were.  Multiple mics summed to one track?  And what kind of distance from the amp to start.  I dont have any kind of great room, but that usually doesnt bother me.  Do you recommend avoiding early reflections when doing this?  I know with guitars I have found that finding good reflections is almost key for this style of music, which is real heavy.  Does this apply to bass also?  

jgreenlee

Re: re amping bass
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 04:43:22 PM »

You probably don't need "air" as much as you need "amp."  If you're on a DAW then I suggest getting SIR and hitting up Noisevault and downloading the bass cabinet impulses that I created.  The Ampeg with the e602 is my fave but the Eden and D6 impulses are quite useful as well.  Using the cab by itself is useful but creating an effects chain (I use the plug-in chainer in Sound Forge) with the things commonly found in an amp (compressor, EQ and add in a little distortion for some fur) before the cabinet impulse really makes things sing.

If you're in analog-land you'll need a handy-dandy Re-Amp box.  Either that or just send an Aux send out to a power amp and have that feed a cabinet.  One mic up close should do you just fine.  Having one of those Little Labs IBP's would be really handy to allow to line up the phase of the DI and Amp signals.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

James
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.