R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 499 @ 15 ips or 30 ips?  (Read 4681 times)

Level

Re: 499 @ 15 ips or 30 ips?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 04:44:59 am »

Quote:

Bill, do you prefer 15 ips for 1/2" 2 trk?

Depends on the machine. I can say overall, yes.

Noise VS guide quality here.

Noise can be reduced. Tape bounce cannot.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

trexrox

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 02:33:11 pm »

Level wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 04:44

Quote:

Bill, do you prefer 15 ips for 1/2" 2 trk?

Depends on the machine. I can say overall, yes.

Noise VS guide quality here.

Noise can be reduced. Tape bounce cannot.

Tape bouce?  You speak of it as though it's a natural phenomenon... If the tape is bouncing off of your heads at ANY speed, then you have got a problem in the transport.  Maybe you're talking about scrape flutter?  In this case, a scrape flutter idler will do the trick, and it actually pushes the flutter frequency higher when operating at 30ips, which is the purpose of the idler (to cut the scrape flutter into two different, higher frequencies, which are much less audible).

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 06:29:45 pm »

MCI tried to sell an 18 ips machine for a while. I don't remember if this was also the 3" 32 track.

The guy who devised the NAB curve at Ampex admits that it was a kludge to flatten out the Ampex 300's response and deal with the hum. The CCIR curve actually has some real engineering behind it.

Fletcher

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 06:34:52 pm »

It was the 3" 32 trk... and I believe it ran at 20ips.  
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 07:39:53 pm »

I totally agree with Steve that if you are running at 15 ips than you will be better off with a CCIR alignment, this the way it used to be before NAB.
Now I also do not use or like Dolby SR but funny enough since Eddie Kramer is one of my best friends, I know he loves and uses Dolby SR. As I post today, I just got off the phone with him from the studio he is in here in LA and was making sure his session is going smoothly. I found out his Dolby rack was incorrectly aligned and it caused him to lose some time. I hate those things ...they are so fickle ...

15 IPS is an interesting beast, for me, if properly aligned, it tends to be more even across the spectrum even with the noise.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up