R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recording flute and violin together  (Read 1072 times)

snaggle

recording flute and violin together
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »

i have a couple questions and ideas already..
i was thinking close mic each instrument as well as two omni's with a jecklin disk a few feet out.  i have 12ft ceilings and the room is about 50x20 or so..
mic list is as such..
at4033
behringer ecm8000's (woohoo)
blue 8ball
ksm32
57's
md421
marshall mxlv67
shure pzm
radio shack pzm
any ideas or thoughts are highly appreciated..
thanks..

Todd.

hollis

depends on the style
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:39:59 AM »

what is the style of music? if classical, i'd arrange them in typical fashion seated or standing next to each other at an angle and stick with an MS, Blumlein, maybe ORTF stereo pair at a distance. that and find a proper concert hall.

if pop, i'd probably start with the same arrangement anyway, unless you want to goof with your pannings later, then you might separate them and get a little closer.

i'd also put dynamics at the bottom of your list for mic choice.

ultimately, the style of music has the greatest effect on how you choose to mic classical instruments, but I'd usually have a traditional stereo pair set up to get the ensemble as a whole, as this is what classical musicians are accustomed to. sticking them in the sound lock with headphones tends to throw them off.

snaggle

Re: depends on the style
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 12:32:37 AM »

thanks for the tips, turns out they are performing by them selves for two solo things.. the flutist is on a schedule and has an appointment 3 hours after we start, so im starting that with the ksm32 closish mic'd and the ecm8000 rta mics in stereo with my bootlegged jecklin disc... then the same for the violin but 4033 in place of teh ksm32.. we shall see.. should be fun..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.