R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your first badass mic  (Read 5861 times)

djui5

Re: Your first badass mic
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 06:22:53 PM »

Brandon,
I'd highly recommend either an AT4060 or a Sony C800G. The Sony sounds better, but the 4060 isn't bad either. It is easier to get more presence with the Sony though, and it sit's better in the mix.

If you do a lot of rock stuff...you should buy a SM7 and call it a day. Spend the rest of your money on acoustical treatments.

Just my thoughts.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

When I first saw the title of this thread "Your 1st Baddass Mic" I thought I would write about the SEVERAL time I thought I had my "FIRST BA Mic". And how that prception has changed as my mic locker has evolved.
 Then I read the 1st post. There you hone it down. I could make a case against the "A" list LDC. For me, I am a general practicioner, I was looking at new mics for broad range vocals, to suit a wide range of styles. What would compliment my existing 50 or so cabnet.
 I selected (then thought otherwise) The LAWSON 47.

,  Also at a fraction of that price the Shure KMS 32 ( not quite the magic ) and the AT 4047 ( not quite the Sqarkle ).
 I have not tried them all But with the Lawson I don't think you can go wrong.

Steve

www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

kato

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 04:32:58 PM »

Once you spend $2000 on a Neumann or Lawson, you'll realize how good your unassuming little 4050 really is Smile

Jason Phair

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 05:38:32 PM »

Get the Gookraphone!
Jason Phair
Advanced Production Group
Dunkirk, NY
http://www.advancedproductiongroup.com

Formerly:
Sound Services
SUNY Fredonia

Get that fucking thing off my vocal will ya?

Thanks.

brandondrury

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 09:16:39 PM »

Well Hell!

Maybe I should just say screw it and buy a '69 Marshall Plexi.  At least it will keep appreciating.  The more I learn and the more projects I do I realize just how little difference the fancy gear really makes.  It's all about the song and the musicians.  

It's been said 100 times on here that the song structure makes the song sound big.  I've been experimenting with this "producing" thing quite a bit.  It's amazing how just making a band play in time can make the sound 8 times bigger.  

However, I need to be ready to do the bigger better bands when duty calls as I'm getting sick of shitty broke bands.  

When I hear major label cds I sometimes here mega dry vocals that sound right.  My mega dry vocals sound like horrible shit.  They are dull.  I always find myself rolling off lots of low end and low mids.  I usually keep the mic about 12" or so from the singer.  I'm not sure if the problem I'm having is something that gear or technique will fix.

I picked up a R121 and I'm still adapting to it.  When I first plugged it in, I didn't blow my load.  However, I've been happy with the tracks I've gotten with it.  Really, I'm too scared to enjoy it.  I'm afraid I'm gonna break the damn thing.

Brandon
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.