R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sub monitor placement  (Read 1076 times)

fj

sub monitor placement
« on: December 31, 2004, 10:45:40 AM »

I have a sub monitor on the floor in a corner of my studio under a desk and two speakers suspended from the ceiling in front of my mixing console. The sub does not create an even bass all about the room. I don't have the budget to make the room sound perfect.

My question: Is there anything wrong with hanging the sub on an equal height and between the two speakers?

Ethan Winer

Re: sub monitor placement
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »

FJ,

> The sub does not create an even bass all about the room. I don't have the budget to make the room sound perfect. <

You can experiment with different sub placement, but no one place will give a flat response. Without proper bass trapping the best you can hope for is to minimize the peaks and nulls by placement. But to do this effectively requires a serious measurement tool like ETF or an equivalent.

--Ethan

JamSync

Re: sub monitor placement
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 03:19:27 PM »

fj wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 15:45

I have a sub monitor on the floor in a corner of my studio under a desk and two speakers suspended from the ceiling in front of my mixing console. The sub does not create an even bass all about the room. I don't have the budget to make the room sound perfect.

My question: Is there anything wrong with hanging the sub on an equal height and between the two speakers?

Try 1/3 of the distance on a side wall, half a foot (at least) from the wall. Also, make sure your low-pass filter is set low enough; use 80 Hz rather than 100 Hz. Better would be to have two subs with one in the front to the left and one on the side wall. You can slide them to avoid room modes and maximize accuracy at mix position. You can also treat a small room...but that only goes so far.

Don't hang the sub, but decoupling the speaker from the floor with those cones they sell at home theatre supply places can help. Definitely do not put a sub or any speaker in the corner. Calibrate your room from mix position and give up any fantasy you might have that others in the room will hear the mix as you do. If you have a client, sit them down in mix position to hear the mix. If you do this correctly (and you have ears and talent), your mixes will eventually translate appropriately.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.