R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMS DMX / QRS / MM1200 questions  (Read 6663 times)

oldgearguy

AMS DMX / QRS / MM1200 questions
« on: December 29, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »

Rather than take up space with 3 small questions, I've lumped them all here:

1) I have schematics for the AMS DMX 1580, but most of the cards in the docs match up with the later 1580 S.  Does anyone have older schems with the 1580 cards in them?  (I can get the card numbers if needed).

2) Anyone have a Quantec QRS user's manual (in English?)  I have a German one for trade.

3) What are the dimensions of an Ampex MM1200 (HxWxL, weight) and is it a standard 110v power source?

thanks

Brian Roth

Re: AMS DMX / QRS / MM1200 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 06:26:37 PM »

From a MM-1200 brochure:

29"w x 27"d x 45"h

8 track 415 lbs

16 track 465 lbs

24 track 530 lbs

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

lord

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 10:24:51 PM »

oldgearguy wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 12:06

... and is it a standard 110v power source?

Yes

oldgearguy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 11:36:29 AM »

Thanks guys.  I've been thinking of picking up an MM 1200 to complement the digital I already have, but it wouldn't make sense to pursue something that won't fit in my space.  Luckily, the key measurement (width) is just fine.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »

john kleeeet.........johnny from the CARRIAGE HOUSE , i need my qrs   fixed   jeff says its the ram or  d/a problem     [db sound  jeff]....            can you help,    sonny rollins wants it to mixx...........            JOHNNY

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »

I know David Kulka has schematics for all the AMS stuff now.  AMS are his new middle initials.

John Klett

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »

Hey Juanny from da C.H. - Yo!

AMS...  I have AMS docs but I hate working on it.  If David Kulka has the docs and THE DESIRE to work on AMS then he da man.

call sometime
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

David Kulka

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 09:50:44 PM »

John, it's true.  I've been downright immersed in AMS for the last 6 or 8 months.  With Cary Altschuler's help I've turned a whole section of the shop into AMS-land, and we've serviced several dozen units.  These are great boxes and practically no one in North America was working on them, so I took the plunge.

They're not easy to work on.  Generally we pull all the boards, recap the power supply, add MOV's to the AC line (old AMS stuff hates AC line spikes), clean all the connectors, replace all the ribbon cables, then put the thing back together and see if all the boards work correctly.  Usually a broken AMS will have 3 or 4 separate problems, at least one of them a toughie.  We have about 150 spare boards in stock, working DMX and RMX units for testing suspect boards, and most of the weird IC's and parts they used.  Without that stuff forget it, there would be no way to work on these things!

I'll soon be adding several nice AMS pages to my website.

Yes, we have a large amount of AMS service documentation.  But I really can't share schematics with folks, so please don't ask.  AMS was always very protective with their technical documents and I think I'd better respect that.  I AM willing to help people with straight-ahead, specific questions about working on them, within reasonable limits.  The web pages will include some basic service tips.

It's been an amazing experience getting to know these units.  I won't claim that we know it all, but I think we've got at least 90% of it!

Yeah, I know, it's just plain mean, but...

index.php/fa/2379/0/
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

oldgearguy

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 07:08:27 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 16 February 2006 18:34

I know David Kulka has schematics for all the AMS stuff now.  AMS are his new middle initials.

I think Johnny needs his Quantec QRS fixed.  Wonder if David has any time to pick up the Quantec work?  I have a set of schems for the QRS, but my desire to work on them is quite low.   Shocked

For the record, David helped me out with an AMS DMX 15-80 problem (solved it quickly via board swap) and it's nice to have those delays back in action.

Tom

RMoore

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 07:35:58 AM »

oldgearguy wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 18:06

2) Anyone have a Quantec QRS user's manual (in English?)  I have a German one for trade.

3) What are the dimensions of an Ampex MM1200 (HxWxL, weight) and is it a standard 110v power source?

thanks

From ATR service:  'an MM1200 24 track is 525 pounds',
so same as on the brochure pretty much (thnx for those dimensions BTW Brian thats handy!)

As for Quantec maybe try Funky Junk in London?
They have a lot of schematics / manuals on hand & will copy for a fee:

http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index2.htm

Cheers,

Ryan
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

oldgearguy

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 02:30:54 PM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 07:35

oldgearguy wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 18:06

thanks

From ATR service:  'an MM1200 24 track is 525 pounds',
so same as on the brochure pretty much (thnx for those dimensions BTW Brian thats handy!)

Cheers,

Ryan

Between Dec of 2004 when I first posted that and now, an MM1200 has arrived and been successfully installed.  I was also able to prove that if you removed the doors, sides, and the 6 card bays, one person could carefully get it down a flight of steps using only a handtruck.   Smile  I think the 'stripped' weight was around 300 lbs.

Oh, and I did get an English version of the QRS manual from Funky Junk.  I love that place for old gear.

Tom

compasspnt

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 12:13:56 AM »

I love it when threads evolve over time into a happy place!

fadeout

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 05:48:49 PM »

oldgearguy wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 14:30

Between Dec of 2004 when I first posted that and now, an MM1200 has arrived and been successfully installed.  I was also able to prove that if you removed the doors, sides, and the 6 card bays, one person could carefully get it down a flight of steps using only a handtruck.   Smile  I think the 'stripped' weight was around 300 lbs.

Wow. I've done the MM1200-on-a-handtruck-down-the-stairs routine too, but not alone! You have nerves of steel!

Chris Putnam

RMoore

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 11:54:54 AM »

oldgearguy wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 20:30

Oh, and I did get an English version of the QRS manual from Funky Junk.  I love that place for old gear.

Tom

Thats pretty crazy about moving an MM1200 solo!
You are very brave!

I wish I'd known about the weight stripping procedure before - I've had an MM1200 in storage for almost a year pending getting it in to the studio, the only way was through a 2cnd floor window but would have had to hire a $$$ crane due to the nonstripped weight, so there it sat..

But in an amazing stroke of luck,  the owner of the building has just finished installing what every non ground floor studio studio needs: AN ELEVATOR
So that problem is solved especially since the hole chopped in the floor is big enough for the MM1200 to pass through,
So I expect to get big bertha in sometime very soon..

Note in the pic how the restroom was demolished for the elevator...
1st things 1st!
index.php/fa/2424/0/
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Brian Roth

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:45:28 AM »

oldgearguy wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 13:30

Tom

Probably a good thing...unplugging, then reseating all of those molex plugs likely made it more reliable!

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 19 queries.