R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: <<Favorite drum miking techniques for a small room>>  (Read 3690 times)

Caz

<<Favorite drum miking techniques for a small room>>
« on: December 26, 2004, 11:10:25 AM »

I am feeling a bit tired of my current drum miking techniques and am looking for a lil' inspiration from my able brethren.

I have a small room studio (approx. 10 X 12 with a 12 foot high ceiling). Would one call my ceiling vaulted? It is a peak that has been squared off.

Any help would help!

Caz

www.pascalgoespop.com

John Ivan

Re: <<Favorite drum miking techniques for a small room>>
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »

Hey, 12'  ceiling is not bad!!

What are you doing now? Do you generally record pop/rock? There are lot's and lot's of things to say. Give us a little more info.

Happy New Year.......
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Caz

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 02:12:37 PM »

I have been using a combo of close mics (snare, kick, toms, hi-hat) and XY overheads with an overdriven mic either lying on the ground under the snare or as a room mic to be added to give space to the kit. Listen for an example: http://www.pascalgoespop.com/xmas.htm I made two EPs with some drum sounds I have been proud of...I would just like to expand my sounds a bit and see how other folks are doing in similar situations.

Thanks,
Caz

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 03:25:19 PM »

Well, this might seem like a typical reply but, I would start by trying to get a sound with three mics. I happen to like small live/bright rooms.{ not always but,I've had good luck } and I sometimes try and take advantage of the reverb in these rooms. The answer is to really try everything. Check into omnis of course and spend lot's of time moving mics around. Also, try different treatments in the room to shape the reverb. Just start screwing around. Get creative. Break the rules. Go read everything you can and then try to forget most of it :-}
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

mumbles

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 01:24:45 AM »

I agree with the 3 mic sound.  Some of the best drums that I've done were 2 mic jobs.  Just decide if there is one drum in the set that needs to be out more ("he hits the floor tom a lot on this one") and get a mic to take a good look at it, then use an omni in the room to get everything else.  I love big mono drums.

Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

Bill Cuomo

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 09:30:34 AM »

I also have a small drum room (my entire tracking room is rather small!)--lower ceiling but the room is larger than 10' x 12'. I find that if I can get the drums sounding great with just kick and overheads, that I'm good to go for drum sounds. I agree with others here promoting experimenting--try different positions, particularly with the overheads; closer to cymbals, off to one side slightly (following tom location), over the drummer's shoulder, etc. I have been using Gefell 300's as overheads and find them smoother than some other choices.....hihat has not been a problem either. I also like to have at least one mic out front and compress the snot out of it with something aggressive like a Valley People or Lacey Thompson compressor. Using that track in the mix and time shifting it to my reverb/slap tastes, has brought the "Ringo content" up in my drum sounds as well.

wireline

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 09:36:53 AM »

Another vote for the 3 mic technique...Our tracking area is 21x19 with a vaulted ceiling going from 7 to 12 foot...but after gobos, gets to a smaller size...

I like the front of kick, one over snare, and one off to the toms side (each and equal distance from middle of snare head)...even when the room is opened up to its 'full' size, I prefer this method for most things.
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

Jules

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 11:06:57 PM »

Try 2 x Beyer M160's in ORTF patern (look it up!)  2/3 foot above the kit

For ambience / 'room' point large diaphram condencers at far walls (away from kit) in cardiod (about 6 inches away from walls)

User Royer 121 about 1 foot from kick hole (with pop shield in front of it)

Usual suspects on close mic's

Use best pre's on OH/kick/sn/room

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 16 queries.