R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what is a good mix?  (Read 8479 times)

Andy Simpson

Re: what is a good mix?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 02:05:22 PM »

....bit slow on the uptake, haven't checked the board for a while....Wink
A little question, J.; are the vocal harmonies (& some of the guitar parts) deliberately disharmonious (in the first half of the track)? I'm not sure if it's a stylistic thing, or accidental?

The kick drum has alot of presence and is so not in the same place as the bass.....

Also, while I'm thinking about it, with a recent listen in mind....the guitars and drums being relatively dry and the vocal wetter, tends to put the band infront of the singer - are you mixing your own voice? Wink
Level's 'double the vocal' sounds good.....

Nice glossy sounds though.

Andy

I always say to the band when they play me a 4.30 track,
"do you REALLY think you've got 4.30 worth of great material? You must be better than Lennon&McCartney, they rarely had more than 2.30's worth.....!!"

j.hall

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 01:47:54 PM »

andy_simpson wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 13:05

I always say to the band when they play me a 4.30 track,
"do you REALLY think you've got 4.30 worth of great material? You must be better than Lennon&McCartney, they rarely had more than 2.30's worth.....!!"

my answer would be......

YES i think i have 4:30 worth of something to say.  especially considering your comparison.  i'm not writing three chord pop songs with up beat tempos......

i'm writing songs after an intial concept is laid out.  the music is written to artistically express a story, emotion, or concept.....

there is a song on the record that is barely 2 minutes.  there is another that is 5:30.....i'm not writing songs for beatles fans to tip their hat at me.

i'm writing songs for myself, and if people can walk away from listening to one with something then that's cool.  but i'm not expecting every one on the planet to love it, or even tolerate it.

the song is dark, the tempo is slow, and lyrically and musically it leaves little glimmer of hope.

so YES, it takes 4:30 to get that point across

the song is about addiction, and if you've ever been addicted to anything in your life (drugs, alcohol, a girl, a car, food...whatever) you'd know that a 2:30 pop song about holding my hand isn't even relevant.

hargerst

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 09:22:40 PM »

To me, a good mix is one you can listen to a year later and not want to change something.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

j.hall

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005, 01:04:58 PM »

good answer harvey.

against my better judgement, i'll post the final version of this mix.

10 Less Of You #4

spankenstein

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2005, 10:41:20 PM »

Would you get this done already so I can buy a freaking album Razz

j.hall

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2005, 10:10:44 AM »

5 of 11 songs are mixed, #6 is almost done.

the record should be done and ready for pressing in a month or two.

spankenstein

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2005, 10:29:10 AM »

Awesome. I keep meaning to come to a show but the weeknight shows are hard for me to get to.

Oh how I wish for early weeknight shows. I used to like going to El Torreon because they would start around 7 or 8 and you could see 4-5 bands and be home and in bed by midnight.

TheViking

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2005, 10:33:39 AM »

Sounds like there are a lot of producers in here and not mixers.

J, I think the song sounds kick-ass and can't wait to hear the rest of the record.   Any input I would have about your song would be production input (i.e. - adding a subtle rhythmic element might help the song 'move' more, or the kick drum, bass guitar concern someone else posted earlier) but none of these things help the actual 'mix' of the song.

What are you mixing on / through?   2-buss processing?   DAW or console?   Tape or hard disk?   Sometimes I find that if I change the 2 buss processing (compressor / limiter) it can change how everything gets glued together in the final mix.   I don't know what your options are so I can't really suggest anything.   Just some ideas and thoughts.

I'm a producer too, so I shouldn't say anything...   just wanted to tell you I love it!   Don't change it unless it's going to keep you from sleeping at night.

Viking

Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

j.hall

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2005, 10:44:19 AM »

i'm mixing straight off 2" 24 track to my amek big.

i tried a few different comps on the 2 buss and ended up going with my urei LA-12....hardly any compression (2 dB max if i recall) it just really helped the whole thing so i went with it.

i printed the mix to PT HD at 24 bit 96k

the album is tentatively scheduled for a mid may release

we decided to do this ourselves as the tools available to bands these days are pretty cool.

most indie labels we've spoken with have no distro or pretty bad distro and we aren't wanting to tour 6 months straight.

we figured with some online credit card purchasing and a few well planned tours we could pocket all the profits and make a better effort then most indie labels could do for us.

thanks for you interest and comments!!

Bo

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »

Well, I like it.

The fact is I'd almost be willing to bet that 8 0f 10 people who were critiquing this mix were listening on computer speakers...
I know I was.

The song's good, the mix translates the idea of the song fairly well...I'd pay to see them play after hearing this.

So, yeah - I'm late to the party but that's my opinion.
"knifing prostitots - one at a time"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.