R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power strip for monitors and gear?  (Read 1622 times)

Beneficial

Power strip for monitors and gear?
« on: December 19, 2004, 10:09:58 AM »

Can anyone suggest a good power strip to plug my monitors and outboard gear into? And maybe a seperate one to plug my computer into(or the same one?) to plug my Monitor speakers into? I moved my computer into a seperate room and now I can really hear my monitors well. The only problem is I'm hearing some electric hum that was covered up by the noise of the computer fan before. Is there a high end power strip that you guys use to ensure great grounding? Right now the computer is plugged into a different spot than the monitors but I think I"m picking up noise from the comp because I can hear little clicks and noises when I do things on the pc.

Also,, are balanced mogami cables the best be for connecting these monitors to my aardvark soundcard?
Thanks!

sdevino

Re: Power strip for monitors and gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 11:36:47 AM »

It sounds like you might have a ground loop problem. Try running an extension chord to the computer and plug the other end into the same powerstrip as the rest of your gear. If the buzz/hum goes away then you have a ground loop problem.

Then its a matter of good competent trobleshooting to determine where the problem is occurring.

Steve
Steve Devino

Granite Rocks Recording Studios
Studio gear design and setup

barefoot

Re: Power strip for monitors and gear?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 01:49:44 PM »

I've noticed that a lot of lower priced and even mid priced active monitors have quite a bit of hum, regardless of the grounding scheme.

It's most likely due to poorly filtered power supplies.  Many of them don't even shield the preamp section, so there's probably some RF and power transformer bleed in there as well.  

Depending on what kind of monitors you have, there may be nothing you can do short of redesigning the amplifier section.  

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.