R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a co-producer?  (Read 30336 times)

Fibes

Re: What is a co-producer?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 09:25:01 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 07:05

Fibes?  When is the producer from the current project going to send up those files to be mixed?  The week between X-mas and New Year is like perfect for us.

I'll be more than happy to do your next project for chump change... but plan on bringing like 50-60 songs into the first couple of sit downs as I am a picky bastard!!  [self loathing as well but the alcohol works OK to cover that  

Bouncing down tonite, shitstorm since we spoke last...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

johnnywiz

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 10:40:25 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 12:46

and then there is the "joint roller" who just sorta sits in the back, rolls joints, keeps the vibe [tight or loose depending on the vibe of the session], contributes little, yet everyone thinks he's a genius.

So your saying that G Katz and I Co-Produced the Steaks record?  Twisted Evil
JohnnyWiz
"What's with all these people who think that intonation is overrated?" JJB

Fletcher

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »

Nah... it would have come out better if you had "co-produced"... if anything that pointy headed little incompetent sack of shit should have kept to the roll of 'joint roller/paper pusher' like he did on the Steely Dan shit and let the guys with some actual talent do the project... oh wait, that's right... the guy that had some talent did produce the radio singles... but the pointy headed one did his level best to fuck those up too.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

johnnywiz

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 10:51:35 AM »

LMFBO, touche'
JohnnyWiz
"What's with all these people who think that intonation is overrated?" JJB

jimmyjazz

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 11:42:56 AM »

I had one band that recorded a song I wrote about my the ex-partner in a production company I used to have... the singer changed two lines in the chorus and expected a "co-write" credit!!

As he should have, unless the changes were truly trivial, like a change in tense, etc.  (At least that's the way the songwriting is divvied up in Gnashville.)

I had a friend change one word on one of my songs, and I gave him a 50% cowrite.  He made the song a lot better.  (For the record, he changed "bite" to "tree".)

As you imply, 50% of nothing is still nothing, but still, I think it's the right thing to do.  I suppose you could negotatie a different share than an equal split, but I think that's bad karma.

lucey

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2004, 02:36:48 PM »

... but I have an issue with the "being in the control room every minute things are being tracked" statement... I would normally rather rip out my teeth than sit through shit like backing vocals [I may write the parts, but I really hate listening to them being recorded]... and shit like lead vocals... most of the time I'll get the sound, tell the singer/engineer (or assistant) what I want recorded... leave them to record it, come back later and either "comp" it, or criticize it (redo some sections), or both... but I'm really not wild about sitting there and watching them go down [hate it actually].

Sounds like you're a Co-Producer.

A Producer is responsible for the overview. This "overview" includes all the work time, not just the product time.  The responsibility is not control of every moment, but requires awareness and sensitivity, sense of vision and opportunity recognition.  Especially in tracking ... where the little moments are what makes music great, and someone must spot these.  The Producer.  To rely on the band is Co-Producing at best. Maybe Executive Engineering.

An Engineer is more hands off, a producer gets a little dirty if needed and productive.  A producer suffers along with details of the record.  Those who don't have the empathy or patience to hang are Engineers, or Executive Engineers.

An artist and assistant on their own might record over the best take, or miss opportunities, or waste time and precious energy. A clear minded producer will see the good idea in the bad idea and bring it out, maybe a new mic/pre for that idea, or a different phrasing.  

Assuming the artist is creative, the recording act is a moment of creativity, not just regurgitation.   The artist coaching possibilities, done right, are essential time savers and performance/composition enhancers.

There are many reasons why Producing requires presence with distance.  But we must be present to Produce ... especially with lead vocals!

Quote:

If I'm really tight with the keyboard/guitar players I'll give them a sketch of what I want then come back to see how they've done... again, we'll fix anything that is amiss later on.

I hate the 'mirco managment' production style as much as I hate the 'paper work shuffler' production style. "Hands on oversight" is more my style... give 'em enough rope, but don't let the trap door swing open is kinda the way I like to work.

Agreed, micro managment ruins the vibe ... but is it possible to be there - and also not be there?  It's more than possible, it's necessary.

70-80% of a record is done in tracking. It's a huge time.  Yes comping time is just as important in a digital world, yet if we have integrity, comping should be minimized, not relied upon to cover our irritibility with hanging during lead vocals.

If we're so personal with the band members that there is a heirarchy of who we're 'close' to and 'not',  such that we ignore some tracking and are present with others ... we probably need to show more respect to all the artists.  And if one of them is uncomfortable with us listening, why are we Producing them?  Superficial products are made by superficial relationships IMO.

Anyway ... simply said, it's very much about the tracking time for music Producers.   And it's co-creative.

Executive Producers or Executive Engineering is more laxed.  

Engineers are more about the tech time as 'making' the record (set ups, editing, mixing).  Not intimately co-creative, the relationship is more about respecting the Artist's product at all times, not so much influencing it at the source as manipulating it technically.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Fletcher

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 09:00:35 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 11:42

I had one band that recorded a song I wrote about my the ex-partner in a production company I used to have... the singer changed two lines in the chorus and expected a "co-write" credit!!

As he should have, unless the changes were truly trivial, like a change in tense, etc.  (At least that's the way the songwriting is divvied up in Gnashville.)

Whatever works for you... and I reckon that too will vary from artist to artist... but in my world, if I'm not asking them for "co-writing" on something where I'm changing a line here or a line there, I'm going to expect them to give me the same space... also, in my world, if a song has been brought to the project by me it's because the artist asked for the song, I'm not bringing stuff in and saying "here, perform this".  I don't really know/understand all the ways of Nashvegas... I'm a New Englander who does demos that don't get signed Rolling Eyes

I suppose if it were on something where there was a prayer of it selling, I'd more than likely give up 50% for a line or two in a heartbeat [50% of something is indeed better than 50% of nothing]... but so far, that hasn't reared it's ugly head in my world.

I reckon if you're comfortable with the program then you're comfortable with the program...

lucey wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 14:36

... but I have an issue with the "being in the control room every minute things are being tracked" statement... I would normally rather rip out my teeth than sit through shit like backing vocals [I may write the parts, but I really hate listening to them being recorded]... and shit like lead vocals... most of the time I'll get the sound, tell the singer/engineer (or assistant) what I want recorded... leave them to record it, come back later and either "comp" it, or criticize it (redo some sections), or both... but I'm really not wild about sitting there and watching them go down [hate it actually].

Sounds like you're a Co-Producer.

Sounds like, once again, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Quote:

A Producer is responsible for the overview. This "overview" includes all the work time, not just the product time.  The responsibility is not control of every moment, but requires awareness and sensitivity, sense of vision and opportunity recognition.  Especially in tracking ... where the little moments are what makes music great, and someone must spot these.  The Producer.  To rely on the band is Co-Producing at best. Maybe Executive Engineering.

That's great that you can sum it up in one paragraph... very tidy.  The fact of the matter is that in my work I've never done it the same twice... sometimes there is more handholding involved, sometimes there is more writing involved, sometimes the paper work is a nightmare, sometimes it's not too bad... sometimes the best way to deal with the project is to make a few suggestions and get the hell out of the way, other times I've found that the best way to deal with the project is to hire some ringers and tell them what you want.  Yes, the "micro-managment" thing sometimes comes into play as well... but more often than not, I hate it when it does.

The little "magic moments" are generally still recorded if you come back later... as the little "magic moments" will hopefully be on the finished product.  The question is how you work with the artist to give them the impetus to arrive at a little bit of magic... I have found that often space is the best way to land on that, sometimes it's moving their head to a different space [laughter, pissed off, worried, etc.]

I've found that, at least for me, not being in the room works best as I have a feeling the artist/singer can feel that I generally hate being in the room for every sung note.  

Is it possible to hang in the back of the room as a fly on the wall and "observe"?  Absolutely.  Is it possible to hang at the desk and "manage"... absolutely.  There are some singers with whom I've worked that work so quickly that it's a sheer joy and honor to be in the room [it's also mandatory as it would be a stone bitch to try to explain the working process/flow to anyone else]... for the most part, most people don't work that quickly.

As for backing vocals... that, at least to me, unless it's a "support" kind of almost LD Vox part [think Merry Clayton], that it's basically QC of the execution of the part... that damn little "magic" will occur ["damage", yes... "magic", not that I've encountered]

Quote:

There are many reasons why Producing requires presence with distance.  But we must be present to Produce ... especially with lead vocals!

Ahhh yes... the Woody Allen school of production ["90% of life is just showing up"].  There are a couple of singers I've worked with that [by a couple I mean more than one, but under 5%] can't have anyone in the room with them while they're singing.  They like to run their own machine just like when they're at home.  Somehow they seem to project and emote a bit better, somehow they just don't nail it as well when there is anyone in the room or on the other side of the glass.  Yeah, you can turn them to face another direction, but it seems that when they're not also running the machine they tighten up... it's a weird phenomenon, at least it's weird to me because the mojority of the time these guys are also the ones that give up the best performances live, just not to an audience that isn't full of annonymous people.

I first heard about the "set up and leave them alone" thing from Michael Beinhorn.  I had one guy I was working with who never seemed to give it up right, I knew he had a home studio, I asked him how he felt about giving a shot to cutting vocals in the CR with no one around [the vocal performances on his demos buried the stuff he was doing for the record]... running the machine, moving patches, etc... he seemed psyched to give it a go... the resultant vocal was the best we'd done together [apart/together], so the rest of the vocals were done that way.  The brother was exceptionally pleased with the results, as was I.

So... I guess the description of that would be "proximity sans presence".  I still ended up doing the final QC, and on a few songs a compilation of a couple of tracks.  The bottom line is that it worked... and has worked with a couple other singers as well.  

I guess that would be the "giving the amount of space required to let the singer do their fucking job" method of management.

Quote:

... but is it possible to be there - and also not be there?  It's more than possible, it's necessary.

Absolutely... sometimes, maybe, definitely... it depends.  Some also get into 'micro management'.  The project on which I'm about to start in couple weeks is going to be quite "hands on", there is another in the wings that is getting done, or at least started via e-mail... something tells me that it's going to get pretty interesting as it looks like the artist won't be there for damn near all the tracking of the album, and I won't be there for most of the vocals... but everyone is going to be on the same page as the 'pre-production/demo' process is getting damn near down to the note/drumfill/melody line at the turn of every measure.

Quote:

70-80% of a record is done in tracking. It's a huge time.  Yes comping time is just as important in a digital world, yet if we have integrity, comping should be minimized, not relied upon to cover our irritibility with hanging during lead vocals.

I did more "comps" in the analog world than I've done since I went "dig"... and IMNTLBFHO, tracking is more like 90-95% of the process... I prefer to leave as few options open in the "mix" process as possible... I prefer to 'mix as I go' be that doing balances and bouncing them or printing with FX, etc.  I really hate this "let's wait until we mix to make a decision" crap.  If it's recorded with FX going to the cans or coming out of the speakers, those FX are recorded... sometimes the balance is done on the spot, sometimes a bounce later on, but most of the time the decision is made 'there and then' in the inspiration of the moment rather than 'later on down the road'.

Quote:

If we're so personal with the band members that there is a heirarchy of who we're 'close' to and 'not',  such that we ignore some tracking and are present with others ... we probably need to show more respect to all the artists.  And if one of them is uncomfortable with us listening, why are we Producing them?  Superficial products are made by superficial relationships IMO.

Great how you can wrap shit up in a pamphlet sized ideal... unfortunately, in "real life" I've never found it to be that easy.  I have found every relationship to be unique, and every project to be unique.  I've found that there are some people with whom I've worked several times that we've developed a flow and a rapport that defines how work will be accomplished, and that no two are ever the same.  

The only thing that is the "same" about every project is that a bond is formed between me and the artist, which may only have us being the best of friends for the project, but that bond is palpable.  It varies in nature from 'drinking buddies' to 'brothers in arms' but we're really all there for the same reason... there are some people who just work best alone, I have found that to recognize and respect that need for space is about the highest form of flattery you can give, but it really is "case by case".

There are times when I've set up 5 vocal chains at the front of the project and check each one against the singer to song relationship at the start of cutting vocals, there are times when one vocal chain is the order of the project.  There are times when vocals are done at the end of cutting drums and all instrument overdubs are performed to final lead vocals, there are times when we bounce around between instrument overdubs and vocals in a seemingly random manner [Singer: "I feel like singing now"... Me: "great, as soon as we're done with this keyboard part you're up"]... there are times when everything has been recorded, the rest of the orchestra is dispatched, and the process of vocals begins.

Unfortunately, I can't put it into a nice little pamphlet as every record, every project, every artist is different... there are times to be more hands on, there are times to be out of the building.  There are times when just keeping the singer's bitch cunt whore of a girlfriend out of the building will do more for the vocal performance than anything else... in which case the order of the day calls for clothes shopping instead of micromanagment [... and I hate clothes shopping even more than backing vocals].
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

lucey

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2004, 01:49:17 PM »

Fletcher the longer descriptions are terrific, nice expose on your experience.  My point is not to take away from the "Whatever Works" concept for magic making or to knock anyones techniques ... my point it to refine the blurry definitions if at all possible in a grey world.  

That is what this thread is about after all, definitions.

Look at Albini ... he calls his work Engineering.  And he's right to do so.  He doesn't "Produce".

I'm agreeing with you that it takes all types of relationships to make a record, but not all of them are the same title.  The words have evolved and been so loosely defined they've lost meaning. Can they be defined more clearly now?  Maybe so or maybe not, but are you trying at all?

Take "producer" ... it's become a bad word to some, while being a power word to others.  I'm looking to simplify and clarify these things, that's all.

If Co-Producer is to be defined (the topic at hand) then Producer needs some clarity, yes?

If you want to throw your hands up and say it's not possible to define anything, fine with me ... but why post?  Oh right  .... your sandbox.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

Fletcher

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 07:05:18 PM »

There is one head coach on a football team, and a slew of co-ordinators.  I veiw the "producer" as the 'head coach', I view the other contributors to the production as either players or co-ordinators... but when I produce a record, I'm the "head coach" unless I'm the "co-head coach" as laid out earlier in the program.

While I value everyone's input, I always establish that my word is the final word.  I will be happy to try everything and work toward a consensus as it's rarely ever a dicatorial situation... but it is understood who the 'alpha male' is in the environment... which when I'm "producing" is moi.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Level

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 12:42:11 AM »

Actually Fletcher, that would make you the session Director from my parts. If no one else is in place for this role, I assume it. Then you truly have control over the session.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

lucey

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 12:52:22 AM »

So if "final say" makes a Producer ...

what's a co-producer?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

Curve Dominant

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 02:03:20 AM »

Quote:

posted by Lucey:
what's a co-producer?

A Co-Producer works for the artist.

The co-producer's job is to help the artist realize the vision.

It is essential that the co-producer understands the artist's vision, and is prepared to act on it.

That is the task of the co-producer.

Fletcher

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 07:18:34 AM »

In an earlier incarnation of BAMF Productions [my production company], my partner, John Kalishes had strengths in harmony and song structure that I lacked, I had strengths in rythm and "vibe" that he lacked... so we worked together quite well.  Where he could come up with a guitar or a bass part that took the song to a level beyond, I could come up with a 'vibe in the room' during tracking, I could come up with a 'lets try this percussion part'... 'maybe if you sit back on that vocal line a little it'll open up ____', etc.

That's what, at least in my mind, co-producing is all about.  I've been in situations where you have someone who was allegedly there to "help the artist realize the vision"... they were exceptionally in the way and were actually an impediment to "helping the artist realize the vision" [which is why the artist fired the idiot].

Everyone on the production, at least in my mind, should be there specifically to help the artist realize the artististic vision they have for the presentation of their ideas... it's not a control thing, it's not an ego thing, in my world it's NEVER a manipulation thing [and it damn sure isn't a 'money' thing]...

There have been many times where I've "co-produced" with the artist where I had little or nothing to say about the music, but did my end of the 'producer' gig by holding the vibe in the room, pulling performances out of performers they didn't quite know they had in them, getting the sonic arrangement and sounds to support the artist's musical statement, that kind of thing.  It was definitely above and beyond the call of normal engineering stuff, and was something the artist and I spoke about in depth before the start of the proceedings... so in many ways, we both had our roles as "bosses" without either having to point to our title as boss.

Like I said, I've never run into two situations, two albums, two anything that were identical.  It's a liquid thing that needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.  All I can say is that paperwork in a constant when dealing with budgets, and I really hate 'joint roller' producers [which is sorta like the "co-producer who thinks their job is to help the artist realize the vision", but is really just an idiot with a link to the artist and an ego problem that invariably gets in the way of work being performed].

CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 10:23:31 AM »

Fletcher, when you say that "x% of a record is in tracking" do you mean just the initial band/rhythm tracking, or do you include overdubs and vocals as "tracking," ie., the recording of the parts for the mix?

Terry

Curve Dominant

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 02:42:33 PM »

Quote:

posted by Fletcher:
I've been in situations where you have someone who was allegedly there to "help the artist realize the vision"... they were exceptionally in the way and were actually an impediment to "helping the artist realize the vision"

That really is a worst-case scenario, and hardly what I meant when I posted "helping the artist realize the vision".

Here's an example of what I was referring to, based on being a co-producer with my latest client:

1) helped her choose songs from her reporitiore

2) wrote improvements on the basic chord changes and arrangements

3) wrote beats and basslines for all 5 songs

4) orchestrated all electric and acoustic guitar arrangements

5) hired guitarists, and recorded them

6) recorded the artist herself, coaching her throughout

7) wrote harmony vocals for certain songs, and either sang them myself, or hired outside backup vocalists, and recorded them

8 ) played about half the guitar overdubs

9) recorded, editied and mixed all the tracks

10) spoke with the artist every day, several times a day throughout this phase

11) recommended a mastering engineer (BB in this case), and communicated with him (and the artist) throughout that stage

12) passed the result on to a major record label, which then flew her to NYC for a showcase, less than one month after her CD release party.

That's more along the lines of what I meant when I posted "helping the artist realize the vision".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.