R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ted Fletcher?  (Read 12928 times)

Dan Kennedy

Re: Ted Fletcher?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 07:49:37 PM »

Those articles were by Steve Dove, who did indeed work for Alice,
but I don't know Ted's part.

I was just a kid then.

Learned a hell of a lot from them though.

Geoff_T

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 08:11:59 PM »

Dan Kennedy wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 16:49

Those articles were by Steve Dove, who did indeed work for Alice,
but I don't know Ted's part.

I was just a kid then.

Learned a hell of a lot from them though.

Hi Dan

I still have a bunch of them... I'll dig them up and send you copies. One of them had a neat little basic program for working out EIN that I still use in my Sharp PC1211.

Regretably, I was knocking 30's when I read them!

Crying or Very Sad
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

U1176

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 11:43:57 PM »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the fax, I have now begun searching high and low for SSM2016's as NOS parts.

U.

lowland

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 04:02:20 AM »

I went on the TFPRO website this morning and noted that Dave Collins has a P9 equaliser, a box with a number of areas of interest to MEs (and others) such as Baxandall high/low and no pots, just switches and therefore complete resetability.

I phoned and had an interesting chat with Ted himself. I may audition the unit soon - for UKP 1700ish + VAT if it sounds as good as it reads it could be a serious contender.

Dave, if you're reading this, how have you been getting on with your P9?
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 06:22:31 PM »

lowland wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 04:02

I went on the TFPRO website this morning and noted that Dave Collins has a P9 equaliser, a box with a number of areas of interest to MEs (and others) such as Baxandall high/low and no pots, just switches and therefore complete resetability.

I phoned and had an interesting chat with Ted himself. I may audition the unit soon - for UKP 1700ish + VAT if it sounds as good as it reads it could be a serious contender.

Dave, if you're reading this, how have you been getting on with your P9?

I've done some very serious and extensive listening tests with the Ted Fletcher P9 EQ.  I really wanted to like it and have Atlas possibly carry the product (not to mention that Paul from their US distribution is a very patient and nice person), but for the price in the United States ($3,000 retail) it doesn't come up to the quality of how much it costs.  It's not a bad EQ by any means, it beat the pants of the couple of plug in EQ's I tried (Waves, etc), but it wasn't an "A+" piece.  I compared it to the Great River EQ-2NV, the Buzz MPE1.1, the API 550b, Daking, & Vintech and it came well under all of them.  Just barely pushing the input level caused the EQ to lose it quickly, and just plugging it in on bypass caused the audio to change for the worse.   Pushing the mids and highs to more extreme ranges sounded a bit tinny and not extremely pleasant, which wasn't the case on the other high end EQ's I compared them to.   If it was in the $1500-$1700 street price range in the US it would be a good deal IMO...
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

lowland

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 02:07:41 AM »

Thanks, Nathan, very interesting reading: sounds like you gave it a good go and reminds me of my struggle with the z-Qualizer which I also really wanted to like (especially at the price), though it wasn't the sound but the interface which let it down for me.

Yesterday I dug up a recent quote from Mr Collins in Brad's forum saying:

'Gotta put in a plug for the TFPro p9 eq here. It's used on more than 50% of sessions and is quite interesting and very versatile.'

I'm not quoting that to gainsay your opinion, Nathan, but for once I don't think Dave's being ironic unless he's flown under my UK radar again - in which case, a thousand curses.

I suppose this only goes to prove that in the end one just has to get off one's butt, get hold of the relevant box and do the listening.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Cyclops

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 07:54:28 PM »

The new owners (and previously only partners with Ted) of Joe Meek have gone south with the product line.  PMI audio's 'new' joemeek line is nothing but a few green boxes from China.  The "Ted Fletcher Designed" VC1 and SC2 are very worth owning for many purposes.  Although the SC2 is not the most versatile of compressors, it is untouchable on drums.  I compared it with Manley's Vari Mu and was not impressed with the Vari Mu.

The P9 is also incredible.  I have used it to track and for mixdown of some personal and client material.  Even flat,
it adds desirable colour from the inductors and transformers.  The only con is not as much crossover of
frequencies between bands like the Massive Passive.
You will never get the sound of the P9 with the Cranesong IBIS.  No inductors, no love.

Fletcher

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 06:56:49 AM »

I don't know how to say this without seeming disrespectful [because I do respect Mr. Collin's work quite a bit]... but when he endorsed the "Sintefex [sp?]" thing... that was the end of my taking any of his endorsements seriously.

As always, YMMV.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

ozraves

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 09:49:20 PM »

The Mighty Twin seems interesting.

index.php/fa/833/0/
Steven
Funky & Uncommon Recording Gear
Long live the Nice Brigade

dcollins

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2005, 11:29:09 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 03:56

I don't know how to say this without seeming disrespectful [because I do respect Mr. Collin's work quite a bit]... but when he endorsed the "Sintefex [sp?]" thing... that was the end of my taking any of his endorsements seriously.

Reminds me of when you reccomended that GML gear, so many moons ago!!

I'm not using that Tfpro EQ with the knobs turned all the way up, so that may be a valid criticism.  But a dB or two seems to work fine.

One thing to consider, and it does seem to be a bug in the design, is that when you go from bypass to "In" the level drops about a half dB.  This is just enough to make you hate the sound compared to a wire in A/B tests...

DC

lowland

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 02:09:18 AM »

Thanks for that Dave, I was guessing that you didn't 'spank' the unit. What is it about the EQ9 you particularly like?

And do you still use your Sintefex?
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

tombola

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 08:38:51 AM »

I've been wondering about Ted Fletcher too. EMU advertise that their Audiodock interface has TFPro mic preamps - seems strange for a bloke in Torquay to have a licensing deal with a giant like Creative Labs. I wonder who else they asked first?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.