R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AEA R84 ribbon mic techique suggestions?  (Read 1822 times)

Fraz

AEA R84 ribbon mic techique suggestions?
« on: December 14, 2004, 04:39:46 PM »

Hello all,

I just got my AEA R84 ribbon mic yesterday, and am itching to try it out Smile  I will primarily be using it to record trumpet and flugelhorn, and sax.

I am a complete neophyte with ribbon mics, and I have some questions:

1) I have heard that it may be the case that some of these R84s sound good and some less so. If this is the case, given that I am new to ribbon mics, how can I tell if my mic is a good mic or not?

2) As I have never used a ribbon mic before, what technique(s) should I use to record with it?  Trumpet? Sax? Bone?  How do I ensure that I get the best sound and do not damage the mic?

3) I read in the instructions that the mic should NOT be blown into. This sort of scared me a bit – what type of filters should I use?

This mic will go through a A-Designs MP2 and into a Lucid ADA 8824. Any tips on this chain?

Thanks in advance for any and all tips!

Fraser

Dougtune

Re: AEA R84 ribbon mic techique suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 10:44:49 AM »

I've been on a lot of sessions where they put an old RCA mic 6 INCHES from the trumpet bell.  They're avoiding bleed, but the sound is weird.  I have an R84 and it's a similar animal to the RCA's.  They can handle high sound levels, but I get a good sound at about 3 feet away.  It has a figure 8 pattern, so it's picking up sound from behind the mic; if you hear too much room sound or bleed, put something behind the mic like plywood covered with foam.  Wind damages ribbons, so use a windscreen with vocals.

Fraz

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:20:26 AM »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)_

Fraz

darling

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 01:48:03 AM »

No different than other mics in placement....move it around until it sounds good. ( i like about  18-24 inches  head on for a trumpet )
No phantom power as this shreds most ribbons.
 As far as  sounding different  from mic to mic - yes and no....all mics vary a little, but these particular mics are pretty consistent.
Good choice for your horns.
Hope this helps - dave darling

Fraz

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 03:49:00 AM »

Thanks David!

Fraser
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 16 queries.