R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O.T. Life is Crazy,,Right?  (Read 2203 times)

John Ivan

O.T. Life is Crazy,,Right?
« on: December 21, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »

Hope this isn't to off topic for your place Harvey.

Life is crazy enough these days as it is let alone the choice I've made to be in the Music Biz.. { I still say it chose me!}. Around the end of 2003,My wife and young Son and I decided it was time to leave Traverse City Michigan behind and head for a more urban setting. We decided on the Cincinnati area for a couple reasons. First of all, there are a number of cities with relatively healthy music scenes within a two hour ride. Cinci's scene is cookin' pretty good and across the river in KY, the scene is even hipper in some ways. There is INDI right up the road also and this is a cool place.The other reason for choosing this area was the fact that we have family on my wife's side living here. We ended up about 25 min. from cinci out in the sticks of southeastern Indiana. It's lovely here. I like it. But We can't stay!!

Right around 6 months after we moved I got a phone call from a friend saying, " Hey, remember Rare Earth? they had hit's way back in the late 60's and early 70's. They need a guitar guy. Their guy Ray is going out with the Funk Brothers." Well, I got the gig. GREAT! I'm having a really good time playing the shows and as it turns out, the singer/drummer in the band J.R. and myself have a lot of the same taste in music and are writing like bandits together. What a blast. we are writing for a new record that will be part covers and part all new stuff. On top of all this, I'm running into old friends from Lansing and Detroit and playing side gig's and doing sessions. There is also a studio that is looking for a guy to sorta' run the shop and compose jingle stuff. What all this means,of course is ,We must now move back to Michigan!! We have not even been here a year and we are already packing!!

Even though this move is all for very positive reasons, I find the thought of having to move AGAIN,overwhelming,or, I'm under-whelmed by the idea. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I just needed to vent this a little. It all seems so crazy. I need to be grounded and I hope this is it for a while........
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

floodstage

Re: O.T. Life is Crazy,,Right?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 05:08:46 PM »

Could be worse, you could have finished your new studio and then decided to move, meaning starting all over again!  (at least I assume it's not built yet - from the "under construction" tag next to your studio name)

Anyway, congrats on your successes!  It's sounds like good things are happening in your life!

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 05:29:41 PM »

Oh man!! Yeah, thank god my summer was just crazy. We didn't start the construction at all!! My whole rig is in boxes. I grabbed one of the computers, one DA-88 and a reverb and DAT machine so I could keep printing song Ideas..

Your right though. I really can't complain. We just feel a little emotionally worn down. We like having a place to call home and things have been so up in the air that we never really settled in here. Hopefully, this will all settle down some for a few years. It still all feels crazy.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Albert

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 11:16:17 AM »

When I was growing up, we moved 14 times between the time I was born and when I graduated high school. Since then I've moved 7 more times, three of those times between major cities quite far apart.

Music is not one of those professions where you stay in one place. It usually involves a lot of moving around, not to mention travelling. You may just be starting. Better get used to it, especially if your success continues!

I have stuff in boxes that hasn't been unpacked for something like 16 years. You could ask "Do you really need that stuff then?", and you'd have a good point. I keep it around in the hopes of one day having a more permanent home (that's big enough) to have all my belongings out again.

Other professions involve a lot of moving around, too. Like the businesses my Dad was involved with. I sometimes envy those who grow up in one place and can keep all their friends from when they were little kids. But I also see people who live in one area and *never* really explore beyond it. like there are a ton of people here in Southern California who have never seen New York City, or Chicago, or any number of other great cities. That boggles my mind.

You moving around will actually be a great educational experience for your son (and for you too)!

John Ivan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:52:55 PM »

Yeah, nice thoughts here. I grew up on the north west coast of lower MI. It's a great place to live. I spent time in L.A., N.Y. and in the south. So I'm lucky I've been around as much as I have,{which in this crazy biz, isn't that much.} Most of the dates we do as a band are fly dates so in one sense,it almost doesn't matter were I am. It's strange how Michigan seems like home and I just know the lay of the land. It will be nice to feel connected to the ground again.

I do hope to be able to show my son more of the world,{ I hope to show my self and my wife also}. More Americans should experience the different cultures of the world. This can bring an understanding that would not other wise come to pass.

I just hate this feeling of floating. It feels somewhat lonely. I guess folks just get used to it. I've been spending weeks at a time away from the family and I can see how this might be driving this feeling more than the moving thing is. I just need to relax a bit and this time spent at home during the holiday season will help me reconnect.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. Sorry for the Off topic Post.

Happy Holidays to all.

P.S. We woke up to A-LOT of snow this morning and it's still coming down,,, He HE He... these folks are somewhat shocked and don't know how to drive... :-}

Your Ad Here!

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »

I say follow your intuition do what you think is best for you and your family. Meditate on it. If it feels wrong it probably is.

hargerst

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 09:26:18 PM »

It ain't off topic.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.