R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cranesong HEDD master clock or PT HD 192 internal  (Read 3603 times)

echotp

cranesong HEDD master clock or PT HD 192 internal
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:08:55 PM »

Any thoughts on using one over the other? I am curious about what users have experienced.

thanks for the input!

echotp

Re: cranesong HEDD master clock or PT HD 192 internal
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 03:27:45 AM »

anyone tried the HEDD as a master clock?

Jason Livermore

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 01:34:39 PM »

I demo'ed the hedd 192 for a day.  I used it to clock a mix plus rig with 888's to. It sounded really good, even better than the Lavry blue did as a clock.  I ended up with the Lavry's because I like the converters better, but the Hedd sounded really great as a clock.

Jason Livermore
blastingroomstudios.com

echotp

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:08:04 PM »

Thanks Jasen, I am also into the simulation settings, leaning in the HEDD direction.

duende

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 03:02:08 AM »

Hi,

Hedd absolutely murdered the clock in our PT HD 192 system.  Very easy to distinguish in blindfold tests.    I recently bought a couple DA16X's and a Big Ben to distribute a master clock (Had to do this because the Digi devices self-terminate, and I didn't want to mod our 192 or SyncI/O)   Guess what???   The Hedd once again came out on top.   Just gave better deeper imaging.   So therefore we are running the Hedd into the Big Ben and distributing/slaving from there.

Alex

dyno

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 11:32:41 PM »

duende wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 03:02

Hi,

Hedd absolutely murdered the clock in our PT HD 192 system.  Very easy to distinguish in blindfold tests.    I recently bought a couple DA16X's and a Big Ben to distribute a master clock (Had to do this because the Digi devices self-terminate, and I didn't want to mod our 192 or SyncI/O)   Guess what???   The Hedd once again came out on top.   Just gave better deeper imaging.   So therefore we are running the Hedd into the Big Ben and distributing/slaving from there.

Alex

Whoa...I'm right there with you man, I was just looking for info on this very same thing.

I have HEDD as WC master > Big Ben (clock set to AES input source)I'm using BB's format converter to go from HEDD's AES to lightpipe > HDR24/96).

I needed Big Ben to distribute WC also to self terminated devices (like my blasted D8B). I'll tell you, my clocking woes are gone, everything locks solid.

At any rate, Big Ben should take any jitter (which probably isn't anything to even worry about with the HEDD) and supposedly smooth it out.

I was thinking of sending Ben back and getting an AD-16X since it uses the same clock, but then I would have problems with WC distribution once again. BNC daisy chaining does not work well with the D8B. I would also have to refit my HDR24/96 with AES cards instead of optical cards as I would lose the format conversion I have with BB.

I just know I'd end up in WORD CLOCK HELL if I wasn't saved...

dyno
Fertile Ground Studios

http://www.dougploss.com

duende

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 11:28:53 AM »

cool...

I figure this way we get a happy compromise in that we are stuck distributing, but at least we get to use our main AD to be our master clock.

regards,

Alex

U1176

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 11:56:01 AM »

What about Rosendahl nano____ vs. Apogee Big Ben?

Roland Storch

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 05:18:40 AM »

If you take the Hedd as master and use Big Ben only as WC distributor I guess you could do better without the Big Ben.

Using the main AD as master clock is certainly a good thing to do.

More
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/2133/1277/?SQ=9 eb7c9a41935c78524195f22549a347e

duende

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 11:37:06 AM »

True enough Roland.  Unfortunately some devices like (digidesign for instance) self terminate, and therefore either require being master and last slave in a chain.    Or WC distribution, because as I said in my initial post...   I don't want to mod my SyncI/O or my 192.  

Dyno is in a similar situation.

But by all means, if you know of another solution...    let me know.

Joe Bryan

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 03:36:23 AM »

duende wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 08:37

True enough Roland.  Unfortunately some devices like (digidesign for instance) self terminate, and therefore either require being master and last slave in a chain.    Or WC distribution, because as I said in my initial post...   I don't want to mod my SyncI/O or my 192.  

Dyno is in a similar situation.

But by all means, if you know of another solution...    let me know.

You might want to check out the UA 2192. It provides 2-ch AD and DA along with a built-in WC generator and distribution amp (4 separate outputs).

I'm obviously biased, but I can say we designed it to be extremely easy to use, with an all-discrete, class-A, DC-coupled analog path for great sound.

-Joe

Joe Bryan
VP Engineering & Technology
Universal Audio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.