R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where should i start?  (Read 5188 times)

John Ivan

Re: Where should i start?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 07:14:10 PM »

My dear young friend,, RUN RUN LIKE HELLLLLLLL>>>>

OK, so you wont run, that's a good start. The first thing I would do is go out and find a 1/2" 8 track analog machine and a small console. You will need some monitors and some SM 57's. Do what ever it takes to get this stuff Even if you have a computer and software,recording to this tape machine will teach you stuff about tracking in a way that sinks in better.

Getting on a live sound crew pulling wire and lifting boxes can teach you a lot also. PROTECT YOUR EARS!! you will be glad you did..

Find every young start up guitar player and drummer/bass player and all those bands that that are just getting going and start recording them. Do as much of this as you can.You will learn more doing this than anything else you do. {of course}

Stay in school while you do this. If it's boring you, you need to take more classes. ;-} { sorry }

You can do cool stuff having both the tape machine and a DAW.  For instance ,,You can teach yourself the basics of synchronization using your tape machine as the master.

Do you play an instrument? If not,pick one to tinker on. You don't have to be great but, mess around with it a lot so you can play some stuff.

If you really want to do this, you need to live it. Eat sleep and drink it. The job's seem to be shrinking more and more all the time so, only the hardest workers with talent and knowledge will be able to make a living it seems.  I don't make my whole living from engineering, only half. The last two years were less than that ... You really have to want this BAD!!!

Good luck young brother.......
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.