R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is wrong with people (Dimebag Darrell dead)???  (Read 2854 times)

Thomas Lester

What is wrong with people (Dimebag Darrell dead)???
« on: December 09, 2004, 11:34:58 AM »

So... what the heck is causing all these people to go nuts these days?  Is it the prozak, ritalin, etc that everyone seems to be popping like candy these days?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nightclub.shooting/index.ht ml

-Tom

jimmyjazz

Re: What is wrong with people (Dimebag Darrell dead)???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 11:37:32 AM »

I don't think I'd go there.

zmix

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 01:12:52 PM »

Red State.
+
NRA.
=
?

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 01:16:58 PM »

i think it's AWFUL that a musician, entertaining a crowd of people, has to be fearful of getting shot, or beat up, or burned, or whatever......

if i were in that band and saw that all go down i'd be in therapy for YEARS.  i wish every one at that club that night, the band, the family's of those who died and the person who did the shooting my deepest sympathy

that being said......i think things like this are "x" part mental instability, and "x" part current times in our country.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:42:52 PM »

I agree with j.  Without trying to sound too much like your typical nattering parent, I honestly think we have started to become somewhat immune to violence, due in no small part to repeated exposure on TV, film, etc.  I used to think this wasn't a big deal . . . I'm not inclined to go shoot someone when they piss me off.

But this ignores two things:  One, I am more quick to anger than I was when I was young.  Two, I'm not "mental" or even borderline so.

It's all relative.  I honestly wonder if we are not unintentionally creating an environment in which those who might have been just this side of borderline are now over the edge?

The answer is probably simple, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 04:47:58 PM »

trying to disect a senseless act is indeed senseless in and of itself.

i think the sad reality is, stuff like this happens every day.

granted, it's not a rock show, with a note worthy musician, but people do STUPID stuff every day, and according to my local news channels, people get shot just as senselessly as this, every day here.  so i'm sure it's the same in all the large cities in this country.

i'm not convinced it's due to violence on TV and movies.  video games might be an interesting research project, but i'm not so convinced that contributes either.  

the guy had major issues, and some how he felt it was a reasonable solution to his troubles to kill a guitar player and as many others as he could.

i'd rather not say this, but i'm glad the cop showed up as soon as he did, more people would have died if that cop had not have been in the area and so quick to judge the situation and react.

it's just sad that people had to get hurt and killed at all, even the kid that pulled the trigger, he should be alive and getting help, not dead with a body count to his name.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 03:28:33 AM »

seriously, even though i'm not the biggest pantera fan it's still really messed up seeing a local legend go down like that. not to sound racist but you'd expect this kind of thing in a rap feud over a metal show... who knows... then again who's to say that his life was worth any more than the fans that died... it's all messed up.
mogwai love you and need you

Level

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 03:36:07 AM »

I dont think the rappers mess with rockers or vis a vis. (fucking hope that shit don't start up)

Bad deal for all. Bag could make his axe sing. I liked the sound from first intoduction and I am an old guy.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Thomas Lester

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 07:41:22 AM »

Pantera fan or not....  it's a sensless loss of life!  Just wrong...

-Tom

j.hall

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 10:29:02 AM »

mogwailoveyou wrote on Fri, 10 December 2004 02:28

then again who's to say that his life was worth any more than the fans that died... it's all messed up.

it wasn't worth any more or any less.  people died, despite any one person's "fame".....multiple people died, including the "gunman" himself....

japhy4529

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 04:51:27 PM »

this was senseless violence of the highest order.  i feel horrible for everyone involved.  

with that said, i have been thinking about something, and i was wondering what you guys think.

please keep in mind that i am by no means trying to disrespect dimebag or anyone that passed away.  i'm just curious about one part of the incident.

okay - the police and the media reported that damage plan had just begun playing their first song of the night when the guy came up and started shooting.  let's assume for a minute that darrel did not see the gunman coming towards him, or just assumed that he was up onstage to stage dive into the crowd, and he didn't pose a threat.   with that said, what happened after he was tragically shot and killed?  what i'm asking is wouldn't his guitar cause EXTREME feedback at this point (given the fact that is now on the ground with the volume wide open), temporarily deafening anyone in earshot (including all of the people onstage)?  i don't know about you, but when i hear feedback my hands go instantly to my ears...

again, i don't know if this may come of as insensitive or crass or disrespectful, as that is certainly not my intent.  i'm just curious as to what happened after the shots were initally fired.  

i've had the unpleasant experience of having my guitarist set down his guitar to take a break and leave his volume full up.  a few seconds later the guitar and amp made the most god-awful noise i've ever heard...  this is what i'm refering to here.

my condolences go out to the abbott family and to the family of the other victims.  may they all R.I.P.

- tom
"That any of us have jobs is thanks to the bands we get to record and the audiences they have attracted. They are the engine that drags this whole choo-choo of assholes with cellphones behind it, and we should all respect that."
- Steve Albini

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 05:45:18 PM »

i run my gauitar in to staright up feedback all over my band's set for the effect.  no one covers their ears and my amp is STUPID loud.

it's not like microphone feedback where it gets up to 15k at 110dB in a matter of seconds.

i bet a guitar rig running into feedback was the least of everyone's concerns

as for him not seeing the gunman....think about it.  this guy has played more shows in the metal world then most of us can even think about.  it was a nightly event for this guy to have some joker get up on stage and try to touch him, put their arm around him, whatever.  he might have seen the guy and just turned away......the fact of the matter is, you just will never know what happened.  

drumsound

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 01:48:32 AM »

This event is really fucking with my mind.  The guy went to work and got shot in the face, as did other innocent people.  

It's so sad for everyone's life.  We as people are all effected by this on the many other similar acts.  I've said it many times but I think it deserves saying again:

ROME IS FALLING!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.