R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you make money in a MINOR market???  (Read 3955 times)

Thomas Lester

Re: How do you make money in a MINOR market???
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 04:31:27 PM »

bloodstone wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 14:56

In my town, you have to fight the studio tooth and nail to get them to "allow" you to approach recording & mixing the way you want it done, even though you're the one spending the money.  

That appears to be how it is here in Jacksonville, FL, too...   it's just insane and I can't understand it.  Like I said before...  My recording career started in NYC and flurished for many years before I moved to Nashville where I did the same for a short while.  Freelance was the norm.  It was usually only lower budget gigs that asked for a staff engineer.  In NYC, you hire the engineer.  Which room was usually his or the producer's choice.

Maybe it's time for me to open a room like that here....  Wink

-Tom

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 05:47:35 PM »

Thomas Lester wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:31

-Tom

maybe so......

get a room together that you can produce the highest quality product you can out of.  (gear, acoustics....you know the drill)

then treat that town like you did NYC.  if bands aren't getting a say....then give them one, you'll have every band in the area pounding down your door soon.

redelephant

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 07:25:55 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 22:47

Thomas Lester wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:31

-Tom

maybe so......

get a room together that you can produce the highest quality product you can out of.  (gear, acoustics....you know the drill)

then treat that town like you did NYC.  if bands aren't getting a say....then give them one, you'll have every band in the area pounding down your door soon.

Yes, do just that, Tom. If I had the time and available effort I would be right there with you.

Level

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 12:25:48 AM »

Quote:

How do you make money in a MINOR market???

You take that market, rub your hand together until they are blistered and hot, add some KY and keep rubbing, spit into them and rub some more, yell and scream until the parametics come and then...you may have gathered some attention! Then repeat.

Actually, you got to get out of the house and tell the computer to take a break and make things happen. Gig Gig Gig and make some noise. Eventually, you find out what noise suits you and then you start marketing it...then you are ready to take orders.

Get out there, listen to some music, if you like the cats, invite them over. Get the room ready from gig one at a deal and spread the word.

It is called....WORK!
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 10:21:22 AM »

if you can offer a really high quality product, and a welcome atmosphere to the band's wants and needs, while not displaying any attitude or arrogance, you will quickly dominate your local market.....then it's time to start spreading out.

i simply don't understand why AE's carry around the attitudes they do.....it's like they are pissed that they aren't in a famous band, so they take it out on the bands they work with.

it's so counter-productive......

swoop in, and romance these bands!!!

Fibes

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 03:47:11 PM »

I feel it is a narrow viewpoint that studios in small markets with in house engineers somehow don't cater to the bands needs by using cookie cutter methodology and therefore someone who opens a room with an open mind will be more successful. I beleive it's all about reputation and word of mouth. Hell, the only job I've ever done with J. is one where the band came to me (upon J.s request) because they didn't want the local guys cookie cutter approach, the fact is 99% of the rest use him due to the fact he's been around a while.

To get back to my first rambling, some of us small shop, small town, minor market dudes actually get to be a lot more versatile than the big market dudes who get hired/rehired by the same flavor of the month day in and day out. If you don't "grow" you die. It's a horrible generalization but...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.