R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 500nW/m  (Read 5408 times)

wwittman

Re: 500nW/m
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 04:06:18 PM »

I've used 6 over 250 (roughly 520nW/m) as my standard alignment on 456 since about 1978, often at 15ips.
That's what all of Relish is, on the multi-track, for example.

On 499 or higher output tape, I go another 3 dB, but in truth I like the sound of 456 better.

Totally true about A800's vs the 827 and 820.

I'm not a huge 16 track fan, the improvement in sound is real, but subtle enough to me to not make up for the lack of tracks... and if you end up tranferring to digital anyway, you;re going to LSOE more than the 16 track gained.

Also, I'd be happy to blind A-B an MCI/Sony 16 against an A800 24... I'd wager the Studer would win in a walk.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxdimario

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 10:19:30 PM »

zmix wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 19:21

Thomas,
I'll let you in on a little budget secret... I did the entire Delirious record using only 2 or 3 rolls of 2"... I dumped everything into digital at the end of the day, then I'd spend the evenings editing the takes together..

I did their previous record on Radar, which was nice, but basics on 2", dump to digital and bulk bulk bulk! Much nicer.

-CZ

I find that the sound loses 'feel' when transferred to digital at the multitrack stage.

I am worried more and more about this issue ever since I upgraded my home stereo and i find the older pure analog recordings so much more captivating, that I can spot the digital recordings with very little effort.

I notice this in the drums and vocals especially.

wwittman

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 09:20:25 PM »

well, max, forgive me but... DUH.

The question is only if analogue remains practical for you... there's not the slightest question that it sounds better.

one other thing...

saying i "recorded at +9" is, sorry, an utterly meaningless statement.

It's like saying, How tall are you?  "I'm three inches taller"

+9 over WHAT?????
+15 over WHAT?????

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

zmix

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 11:48:29 PM »

whatever.....

Compared to pure digital recording, I find that tracking on analog actually "increases feel"....Transferring to dig-a-hole is sometimes an economic and more importantly a -production- reality. My job is to make it sound interesting.

"Complaining about formats is a luxury of the bourgeoise" - to mis-paraphrase Henri Cartier-Bresson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.