R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum room  (Read 10483 times)

Jules

Re: Drum room
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2004, 11:21:21 PM »

OK I"ll bite!

Here's a downloadable track I produced & engineered in my low ceilinged 'ex' office live area / drum room

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=7e7626f101a  4ede8bd493386c806d425&threadid=19370&highlight=carpe t

dirkb

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2005, 05:31:59 AM »

Drums in a small room can work fine, it's just that you'll be phasing some low-end problems, which can be dealt with in several ways.

In my experience, the most important thing with drums is that you need to know what you're after. Not many people really know how the kit needs to sound in the room or when they do, how to tune it. I record in a 11x15x8 foot room, fairly treated and with some good placement (and vicious compression Twisted Evil) I can get some great drumsounds.

In a larger room though, it can be easier. Tuning and dynamics seem less of an issue when you can use more of the distant mices...

Greetings,
Dirk

Jason Phair

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2005, 05:14:52 PM »

As is often the case with AEing, I've found my listening tastes differ drastically from my mixing tastes.  When I mix, I like big, giant totally unrealistic sounding drums.  Hehe.  On the other hand, some of my favourite drum sounds (and I think I'm not JUST listneing to the playing here) are those early 70's, totally fucking dead sounds - such as King Crimson's Red, and any of that early Genesis period.
Jason Phair
Advanced Production Group
Dunkirk, NY
http://www.advancedproductiongroup.com

Formerly:
Sound Services
SUNY Fredonia

Get that fucking thing off my vocal will ya?

Thanks.

Kevinc

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2005, 01:14:31 PM »

ted nightshade wrote on Sat, 11 December 2004 12:15

I am getting a fantastic drum sound right now in my li'l cabin under the 20' ceiling peak, by finding the EXACT place to put the bass drum- exact angle, exact position, to the INCH. It sound SO much better just there, it's incredible. Move it an inch and it's gone.

That`s so nerdy but so true.

Putting drums and amps in the absolute best place you can find in the room and than putting the right mics up in the best place you can find is so important. An inch can make all the difference in the world.

Getting the best possible sound out of an instrument and a mic and pre can really make mixing so much easier with way less EQ.

Once I finish building my new place I`m going to get some of those Super isolation headphones (hows this for nerdy) and try to find every little sweet spot in the room by pushing things around and micing things in different places. I`ll probably drive myself insane.
- Kev
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.