R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which power conditioner do you guys use, Equi-tech, Furman, Monster?  (Read 10914 times)

qo

Re: Which power conditioner do you guys use, Equi-tech, Furman, Monster?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »

I also use an Equi=Tech (2RQ with OFC)and have no complaints.  I didn't have obvious noise issues before installing it though.  As for it improving my recordings generally, I think it has.  But would say to take my impressions with a grain of salt for two reasons:

1. I'm biased by the $$ sunk into this Rolling Eyes.  In addition to the unit itself, about $900 went toward installation of an isolated ground by an experienced contractor in accordance with Equi=Tech's recommendations.  

2. I've not A/B'ed pre/post install

A/B'ing something like this, IMHO, would not be straightforward.  It would be relatively easy to setup a signal chain and record something through that chain with the same settings with/without the balanced power unit in place.  But it would be harder, if not impossible to track/mix a whole project using equivalent settings with/without the unit, and my guess is the benefits these sorts of units provide (if any) are better heard at the project level rather than the single track level.

Can I hear a difference when listening to material that's already been recorded (not originating from my studio) through my monitoring system?  My honest answer is either "no," or "maybe, depending on my mood and the time of day and the way the stars are aligned."  More obvious benefits were obtained from treating the control room with bass traps, working on speaker placement, upgrading monitors, mics, pres, etc.

If you're looking to improve your mixes, and you don't have obvious noise-floor problems, I'd place installation of balanced power at the very bottom of the list after pretty much every other option.

robmix

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 03:23:59 PM »

I've got an Equitech in my room as well and I've been very happy with it. When I used too move around a lot (various apartments) I never did an A/B test but always followed the Equitech installation specs. About 2 years ago we moved into a professionally built room with proper power. I thought we'd be able to sell the Equitech so I used this opportunity to do the A/B test. With the whole room powered up the nosie floor was significantly lower than any home studio I'd ever been in but there was still some hash and grunge down there. Throwing the Equitech in the chain dropped that hash to nothing. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was noticable to everyone in the room.

ted nightshade

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »

If you get an Equi=Tech get the 20 amp model. 20 amp circuits are more rigorously done and better for audio, in general.

I can't tell if mine does anything or not. It helps some problems but not others. I keep it around for remote use, but it weighs too much to really want to take it with...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Roland Storch

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 04:38:29 PM »

Why not get the Burmester?
http://www.burmester.de/english/components/power-conditioner -948.html
Probably better than Furman or Equi-Tech - but more expensive  Sad

Teddy G.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 06:07:50 PM »

Surge-X is another to look at. They do it a little differently.

TG
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.