R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which power conditioner do you guys use, Equi-tech, Furman, Monster?  (Read 10919 times)

Keyplayer

I'm looking ot purchase a power conditioner for my small project studio. I was wondering what you guys used between the different manufacturers and why? Is there as big a difference in conditioners as there is in A/D Converters, Mic Pres, and Dynamics equipment? What should I be looking for spec and feature-wise?  Confused

Keyplayer

Re: Which power conditioner do you guys use, Equi-tech, Furman, Monster?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 08:21:51 AM »

Hello? Anybody?

Okay, forget brands. Can anyone tell me if I need an Isolation Transformer AND a Surge Protector (seperate devices) or does a really good IT come with sufficient surge protection?

In other words would I make out better with a Furman IT-1220 plus an AR-1215 or one Equi-tech 2RQ?

saxist

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 01:49:30 PM »

We've got Furman IT-1220s in each of our rooms.  No complaints: they've been working out great for us.

Here are the specs:
Output current:

IT-1210: 10 amps (1200 watts at 60/120 V 1
Eric Honour
Composer/Audio Engineer/Professor

Geoff Doane

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 07:13:14 AM »

We currently don't have any special surge protection or isolation for our studios, except that all tech equipment is on a separate technical ground system.  This works very well for our particular situation.

We ae looking at installing a UPS for protecting some critical equipment and systems from these guys:

http://www.alpha.com/catalog/catalog.asp?CatID=3&JumpID= 804&lc=1

The two particular products we're interested in are the CFR and Pinnacle series.  The CFR series has a conventional UPS ahead of a ferroresonant transformer which isolates the equipment, as well as regulating the voltage.  The UPS part doesn't run all the time, but Alpha claims the transformer will "free wheel" while the UPS circuit starts up.

The Pinnacle is a double-conversion system. The line voltage is rectified to DC to charge batteries, and then the batteries power an inverter full time.  Therefore there's no chance of glitches, but it's a bit harder on battery life.

I have no real life experience to report yet, but I'll report back after we get one or the other system installed.

Geoff Doane

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:38:26 PM »

I had a big Iso Unit that orginally cost a ton of money and was used in a fancy computer install, but I got it for free. Recyling pays off...but after a 3 or 4 of years of use...the damn thing just smoked on me...Hey, but it was free...so you may want to look around for units from big computer installations and maybe you can get one for free too.  
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

Keyplayer

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 09:34:01 AM »

Johnny B wrote on Fri, 10 December 2004 17:38

I had a big Iso Unit that orginally cost a ton of money and was used in a fancy computer install, but I got it for free. Recyling pays off...but after a 3 or 4 of years of use...the damn thing just smoked on me...Hey, but it was free...so you may want to look around for units from big computer installations and maybe you can get one for free too.  

Keyplayer: 2 Questions.

1) Did you notice a difference in the sound quality of your recordings?
2) Did you replace the old IT unit? If so, with what?

Keyplayer

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 09:35:18 AM »

Anyone here with any Equi=tech stories?

hethaerto

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 12:48:37 PM »

I'm using a Monster power strip with stage 2 filtering. Nice and cheap, and I guess it's effective.
I upgraded to the Monster, Monster speaker cables, premium interconnects from HAVE and Cable Solutions.
Since the upgrade, I can now hear the self-noise of my gear much better.
Self-noise shines right through. Confused  
Allen
Allen Walker
760-608-3543

I Make Demos Bitch Studio

"Let me turn your dreams into mud"

Joel Silverman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 11:26:15 PM »

The new Furman PL units are very good.

We also have a 1:1 Square D iso transformer and a voltage monitor on our tech power

One very important thing to consider is what happens when the power goes out and then pops back in with all sorts of nasty spikes.

KK designed a system that takes us off line and keeps us off until we manually reset the voltage monitor.  That saves a lot of gear.

You can use relay-controlled power strips to accomplish a similar system so that when the power goes off, it stays off until you reset it.  

I used to have a power turn on sequencer on my home theater that did just that.

You can probably put something together with these Furman boxes http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pwr_cond_seq/index-sequ.htm
Joel Silverman
Mktg Comm
JamSync
www.jamsync.com

lucey

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 02:58:02 AM »

I use a 3000 VA back up that's always online by Tripp Lite.  The peace of mind is worth the money.

As well as a Furman IT-1220 balancing conditioner .. never have a noise problem (or a brown out ... or a spike)

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Johnny B

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 03:47:22 AM »

Key:

To answer your Q's.

1. Yeah, it was better, the thing itself had to be in it's own room, however, because it made a nasty audiable buzz, but when it was in its own room it was not heard, and yeah, it did cure some of the nasty stuff on the power company lines...so it did sound better...

2, No, I have not got around to replacing it yet, I'll be working in new little "Room from Hell" for a while...but we'll get that room fixed too.

I will be curious to see what the people here have to say about the offering from Monster...
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.

Albert

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 10:33:12 AM »

I use an Equi=tech and it works great. My experience is that the balanced power has made it easier to keep the residual noise level low. Or at least lower than it would be otherwise. Much less troubleshooting (actually none) trying to find what new piece of gear is causing a hum.

gwailoh

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »

A question for those using the IT-1220.  Are you plugging the unit directly into the wall, or do you put a voltage regulator between it and the wall?  My building has very unstable power: frequent brownouts and one or two full blackouts in an average month.  I'm planning to buy the IT-1220, but before reading your comments I'd assumed it would be necessary to put an AR-1220 before it (i.e., wall -> AR-1220 -> IT-1220 -> gear).  Am I wrong?  Is the voltage regulator unnecessary?

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

gwailoh

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »

Here's an alternative with some very interesting claims:  http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/powerstrip.php.  $195 - $350.  "To date, the Power Strip has smoked every famous power conditioner it's been up against: PS Audio 600, Shenyatta Hydra, MIT, Richard Grey, Chang, Tice, Power Wedge, Monster, Tripplite, Audio Prism, Adcom."

rankus

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 07:32:28 PM »

Joel Silverman wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 20:26

The new Furman PL units are very good.

KK designed a system that takes us off line and keeps us off until we manually reset the voltage monitor.  That saves a lot of gear.

Wow, Every time I see her name mentioned my respect grows !  (is she married?)  Razz
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

qo

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »

I also use an Equi=Tech (2RQ with OFC)and have no complaints.  I didn't have obvious noise issues before installing it though.  As for it improving my recordings generally, I think it has.  But would say to take my impressions with a grain of salt for two reasons:

1. I'm biased by the $$ sunk into this Rolling Eyes.  In addition to the unit itself, about $900 went toward installation of an isolated ground by an experienced contractor in accordance with Equi=Tech's recommendations.  

2. I've not A/B'ed pre/post install

A/B'ing something like this, IMHO, would not be straightforward.  It would be relatively easy to setup a signal chain and record something through that chain with the same settings with/without the balanced power unit in place.  But it would be harder, if not impossible to track/mix a whole project using equivalent settings with/without the unit, and my guess is the benefits these sorts of units provide (if any) are better heard at the project level rather than the single track level.

Can I hear a difference when listening to material that's already been recorded (not originating from my studio) through my monitoring system?  My honest answer is either "no," or "maybe, depending on my mood and the time of day and the way the stars are aligned."  More obvious benefits were obtained from treating the control room with bass traps, working on speaker placement, upgrading monitors, mics, pres, etc.

If you're looking to improve your mixes, and you don't have obvious noise-floor problems, I'd place installation of balanced power at the very bottom of the list after pretty much every other option.

robmix

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 03:23:59 PM »

I've got an Equitech in my room as well and I've been very happy with it. When I used too move around a lot (various apartments) I never did an A/B test but always followed the Equitech installation specs. About 2 years ago we moved into a professionally built room with proper power. I thought we'd be able to sell the Equitech so I used this opportunity to do the A/B test. With the whole room powered up the nosie floor was significantly lower than any home studio I'd ever been in but there was still some hash and grunge down there. Throwing the Equitech in the chain dropped that hash to nothing. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was noticable to everyone in the room.

ted nightshade

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »

If you get an Equi=Tech get the 20 amp model. 20 amp circuits are more rigorously done and better for audio, in general.

I can't tell if mine does anything or not. It helps some problems but not others. I keep it around for remote use, but it weighs too much to really want to take it with...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Roland Storch

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 04:38:29 PM »

Why not get the Burmester?
http://www.burmester.de/english/components/power-conditioner -948.html
Probably better than Furman or Equi-Tech - but more expensive  Sad

Teddy G.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 06:07:50 PM »

Surge-X is another to look at. They do it a little differently.

TG
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.