R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix suggestions for balancing lead instruments in a mix.  (Read 1972 times)

Magnet

Mix suggestions for balancing lead instruments in a mix.
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:32:53 PM »

I was hoping George and the rest of the experienced mix engineers here could share their techniques for setting levels in a final mix for lead instruments. Such as putting the mix in mono while automating vocal levels, or using head phones or one auratone.  I am working on a 50 track mix with some very dynamic vocalists and a very dynamic bansuri flute player. My speakers seem to accept much more dynamic range than most home systems and i am finding that i am having to bring the flute down to suit home systems.  What tricks do you use to set these levels when studios systems can handle so much more dynamic range than the average home system?

Thanks in advance for any advice

magnet

zmix

Re: Mix suggestions for balancing lead instruments in a mix.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 12:16:36 AM »

This is largely a matter of aesthetics, but there are a few general guidelines to consider...

How large (proud) do you want the soloist to be in the track?

Should the Solo carry the tune in the absense of the vocals?

Where is the listener's attention directed with in the recording?

On the technical side, do the relative solo balances sound good on an auratone or TV speaker? Pay attention to these. Do rides. If you are working on a DAW, use a control surface and shut off the video monitor while doing the rides, or at least while listening.

Good Luck..

-CZ

Level

Re: Mix suggestions for balancing lead instruments in a mix.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 12:31:12 AM »

First of all, you are mixing, not mastering at this stage. Make a fine balance, dynamics and all and keep your peaks away from the peg. If you have to crank your monitors to find the average feel, do so..even though peaks may be too loud, this is the "good stuff".

A little bit of channel compression on certain instruments can help you if it stays very musical. What is kind of habitual with me on large mixes is to get the subgroups going to give you some bussing control. What if you have to do some minor gain riding in automation? Great!

I really feel that their is some confusion on the part of mixes being compared to final consumer ready product. You can lean on your mastering engineer (that you trust) to settle the "professional format to consumer format issues". If you are going to attend the mastering session, it does not hurt to burn yourself a one off of some 2 buss compression for comparision sakes. Compression does change balance, so EQ is part of restoring that balance. Listen to that and see how it feels. Your mastering engineer will certainly get everything consumer equipment friendly, that is their job.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.