R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hopes of George forgiving Maurice White  (Read 2786 times)

Yes I

Hopes of George forgiving Maurice White
« on: December 07, 2004, 07:28:04 pm »

If you could remember him with love, there is so much love within the music...

And look what he's saying in the latest Mixmag!:

But nearly 30 years ago, the group was struggling for acceptance and “Shining Star” was cut with pop success in mind. According to Maurice White, engineer George Massenburg masterminded the interesting texture of the track, which features an R&B-infused verse and a toned-down pop chorus.

...and he goes on...

George was so innovative,” Maurice White says of Massenburg, who went on to work with the band on their subsequent release, Gratitude, and then helped put together their own studio, The Complex.

...(stuck up for him Smile )...

It's funny that he sings the praises of the legendary engineer, as Massenburg — who was hired by EW&F management after working with their other artists, Little Feat — recalls his first day on the job as pretty interesting: “After the first track we recorded, they had a band meeting in the studio hallway and voted to get rid of me,” Massenburg explains, “because they couldn't dance to the playback.” Maurice White stuck up for him, but for the next playback, Massenburg really cranked up the volume, which seemed to be what the band was missing

...you guys were so great!!!

henryrobinett

Re: Hopes of George forgiving Maurice White
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 08:19:24 pm »

Not wanting to dredge up old sticky business, but recently I was marveling at some of those old tracks.  I didn't know there was a rift between them.  Probably another one of those famous rows that everyone in the know knows about.  Now it feels uncomfortable.  I hope you can forgive something I know nothing about simply because the music was so damned good. I think EW&F have some how missed their place in the pantheon and George is without a doubt a part of that - on his own terms without question.  But with EW&F with out a doubt.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Level

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 08:42:10 pm »

Every great production includes a few cross words all the way to a bar room fight eh?

Well, I have seen some disagreements happen..but what matters most, it gets done and everyone is happy later.

I've been told I am a lot nicer guy in person than my writings suggest.

http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Curve Dominant

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 10:40:01 pm »

Some degree of conflict and fighting is good for a production. If there's too much mutual admiration among the principles and for the material, the results are often lacking real substance.

RMoore

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 06:32:32 pm »

Shining Star - killa tuuuuuuuuuune
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

henryrobinett

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:05:30 pm »

"Imagination" from the album "Spirit" is a tune that I never heard anyone talk about but it knocked me out then and I just recently put it on again and it still knocks me out.  Charles Stepney and Philip Baily. Whew!  What a tune.
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Pages: [1]   Go Up