R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analogue 24 Track still in use?  (Read 15424 times)

meverylame

Re: Analogue 24 Track still in use?
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2004, 12:52:20 PM »

Eric Vincent wrote on Sat, 11 December 2004 00:15

Han,

The question was:
"Analogue 24 Track still in use?"

I simply explained how and why, in my neighborhood, it is not.

http://www.thestudio215.com/
http://www.ivoryproductions.com/IAP/pages/dylanava/equipment .htm
http://www.milkboyrecording.com/

There's three.

Thanks,
Jason Kingsland
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Han S.

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2004, 01:05:26 PM »

Well, Gtoledo, although there is another thread about the storage problems with digital media (this thread is about the two inch machines you know) I fully agree with you.

I'm 61 now and as a 15 year old kid I was playing the guitar in a band. My dad had a tape recorder and taped a number of rehearsals. These 45 year old tapes are still there and playable, I even have the taperecorder that the tapes were recorded with and the microphone.

My oldest son is near 40 now and I can still hear his voice as a baby, a kid and a young boy , because it's on tape and on cassette. I can look at the many films I have, made with a super 8 camera, these films are just as they were when I played them for the first time in 1965.

I have boxes full of photographs, which are just fine, I also have the negatives, fine too.

All the digital filming and the majority of the content of the digital camera's will be stored on a harddrive and soon or later it will all be gone forever, lost. Unless it was printed to a good quality paper.

When you record something, or make a photo, it may seem unimportant, but twenty years later it will be very different.

I can still see my mom and dad on super eight, though she passed in 1973 and he passed in 1984 and this is only because super eight will last another 100 years.

In 1994 I invested in a young band who had much talent and no budget at all. So I recorded an album for free with them.
It was recorded on tape, 24 tracks of beautiful music. Now they're well known and have sold 300.000 CD's.

The tapes from 1994 are mine and worth a small fortune. These tapes are stored in an airtight bag and will be playable in 2054.

The super 8 films will run just fine in 2054 too, the projector is a very simple device, any handy guy can fix it when it seems broken.

There's been much discussion of this storage problem, you can find it in another thread. We are about to loose a whole lot of important works of art because of the digital revolution.

Peace, Han

Curve Dominant

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2004, 01:31:09 AM »

Quote:

Eric Vincent wrote:
I simply explained how and why, in my neighborhood, it is not.

http://www.thestudio215.com/
http://www.ivoryproductions.com/
http://www.milkboyrecording.com/

There's three.

Larry Gold's The Studio 215 is the only one of those three I would consider in "my hood." It is about a 5 minute cab ride from my studio.

The other two are out in the PA suburbs (I'm a city boy, and don't like the suburbs). One of those other two I would not even consider using, period. The other one is OK in a pinch, but I don't personally find a need for it.

Larry Gold, however, is a legend, who I have mucho respect for, and it doesn't surprise me that he maintains 2" ATRs. An old friend of mine is employed at that studio, and recently told me most of the work done there is in digital. The Studio 215 is a great studio, but I would not use it for that reason. I would go to that studio because of Larry, for his passion for music and his genius for arranging and recording acoustic ensembles.

I would go to Larry Gold if his studio consisted of a 4-track cassette machine. That man is way beyond gear choices. For all I know he might show up here and correct me on this, but I seriously doubt he has any insecurities about recording to digital, or ANY media for that matter. His skills as a musician, arranger and composer, and his ears, are the qualites that truly impress me in a studio proprietor. Larry Gold is the good old fashioned real-deal, and I would not even ASK him what media he planned to record to for an account I might bring to him. I would stay so far out of his way, you would have to hire a detective to find me.

Some of y'all wanted to see me humbled? You just have. Mention Larry Gold's name. I am the most humble fucker on the planet in a room with that guy. I want to be like HIM when I grow up.

djui5

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2004, 05:19:46 AM »

I believe that using 2" is a matter of preference. Using a DAW is a matter of preference....

2",PT's,DP,Logic,Radar,DSD,etc etc etc is all a matter of preference.

They all have their issues...and all have their strongholds. Some more than others...but to knock someone for using any of these is absurd.
Insanely huge selling records have been done on every platform available today....so to say any of them are incapable of the task at hand is uneducated. What you prefer is another question.

There's nothing wrong with using 2"....neither is using a DAW. If I can get done what I need to get done with a 4 trk Roland VS machine....then so be it....

Finding an archival medium that will last forever is another story.

I personally feel that finding a medium we can record to that's indestructable is impossible and will be sought after till the end of time.
These recording mediums are created by humans who have it in their brain that everything comes to an end....so creating something that is endless in unnatural and against our basic instincts.
If you want to archive to tape then so be it. I don't see a problem with pulling up a 2" tape 20 years from now.
If you want to archive to a HD...so be it....I don't see pulling up a HD 20 years from now a problem.

There's way too many humans on this planet to expect that 20-50 years from now none of them will own anything we use today.....that's absurd. You can still buy edison cylinders and their players.....for chrimeny sakes.

Archive to what you want to archive to...take care of it...and let the rest debate over it. Anything, if properly stored, will suffice for the next 10-20 years.....who knows....maybe by then robots will have created the perfect archival medium.

What would be really cool is if a team of people got together and brainstormed over this archival medium problem (over finding a solution, not whether 2" is better than HD's)....if there isn't allready. Who know's what could come out of it.

Any news on holographic hard drives?
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

chrisj

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2004, 10:53:31 PM »

Eric Vincent wrote on Sat, 11 December 2004 00:15

Engineering forums (in any field) are NOT the place for humility and ass-kissing. Engineers are problem-solvers, and problems are solved through inquiry. IF, through logical and rational explaination, my views and opinions are found to be flawed, I have then learned something, and become a better engineer in the process.

Ultimately, my clients benefit from that process, and believe me, that is well worth enduring all the ad-hominem personal attacks I routinely subject myself to on these forums in revenge for my percieved "lack of humility." Don't insult the intelligence of the experienced pros on these forums by assuming they don't appreciate the value of that approach.

Oh, I think I do appreciate the value of that approach. I have done it myself, and I appreciate it better than most. Listen:
In an engineering forum, or as an engineer in general, you may choose to practice humility, or you may not. If you choose to PRACTICE it (not 'have' it, practice it- I don't care what your ego says, only whether you're spewing said ego at me), you will very likely learn something.
Looks like when you choose to sneer at humility on the grounds that it's beneath you, you're not learning anything.
Eric, I love making sweeping statements, running my mouth, speculating, playing the big shot. It's fun, sometimes I even have something to say in some context, it's a source of really rich enjoyment for me.
I damned well better enjoy it while it's happening because when I do that, that's ALL I'm doing- I do not learn by it. The more I'm able to shut up and listen, the more I'm able to practice humility and look at where my knowledge stops, the more I will learn.
Having done so, I can run my mouth some more and stop learning again- or I can keep going with the humility practice. Right now I'm obviously not learning a thing, because I'm running my mouth at _you_. Better people than I have tried that and got nowhere, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering- I guess it's because I was aesthetically offended by your notion that if you don't stubbornly argue your opinions with others, you're not really experienced. I may not ever agree that you're right, but I would hope that I'd remain able to fall back and consider any notions you'd suggest, instead of making you fight through resistance that was only my own stubbornness.
As far as the notion that 24 track (and analog in general) is pointless in a digital world, you lose: I've seen that argument before. The archival aspect is something Steve Albini argues far better than me, but I have my own take on it. I code DSP software. Do you have any idea, ANY idea how hard I have had to work to get PCM digital to deliver even a sizeable percentage of the emotiveness and immediacy analog tape produces naturally and with relative ease? I can only be envious of anybody working with 24 track analog tape in this day and age. Talk about having it freakin' easy... just doesn't seem fair that I have to burn endless CPU cycles and have everything just so and it's still a struggle, and the 24 track tape guys can just throw up mics and go. So forgiving. Life isn't always fair.
The reason for humility is this: generally to understand a new world of ideas and realities your mind has to be pried open that much farther. Even with willingness this isn't a comfortable process- you're tearing your hair and feeling like you're a fool starting from zero again. Skip that part due to ego, and you are still a fool but one that's not learning. I prefer to be the freaked-out fool who's still learning how small his understanding really is. Rather, I have to be, because my problem is, I am like you, Eric.

Brent Handy

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2004, 05:25:54 PM »

Hey Brian, next time you are over in Tulsa at Ripley's, tell him to call me, because I may be adding another for you to work on.

Brent Handy

twonky

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2004, 11:38:13 AM »

I know this is not exactly what you gents are talking about, but its semi relevant.

I am an intermediate recordist/AE I would say. I started recording about 6 years ago and after my tascam portastudio got ripped off, I made the bold leap to ADAT. From ADAT I moved to a PC based set up and Samplitude. Now, I love Sampitude, the editing is great it sounds good to me; rather I have been able to get things to sound good.

Every advance I have made in recording quality, I can attribute to, not a piece of gear, but to practicing some of the excellent tips I get get on boards like this one. And practice, lots of it.

Now, as someone who has no chance of affording something like a Studer 2” 16track anytime soon, Is it worth it for me to get into the analog game w/ something like a ½” 8 track? Like an Otari Mx5050? I mean, will I get that gooey tape sound on drums and bass? Will I experience the goodness that it tape?

I know its not the same thing but is it even close?

Am I over simplifying this issue?

Thanks
I. Whalen

ted nightshade

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2004, 12:05:34 PM »

twonky wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 08:38

I
Now, as someone who has no chance of affording something like a Studer 2" 16track anytime soon, Is it worth it for me to get into the analog game w/ something like a ½" 8 track? Like an Otari Mx5050? I mean, will I get that gooey tape sound on drums and bass? Will I experience the goodness that it tape?

I know its not the same thing but is it even close?

Am I over simplifying this issue?

Thanks
twonky

If you can get by with less tracks and less channels, you may be able to afford something really excellent with just a couple/few tracks or channels. It's a buyer's market for tape machines these days- with some research and the right connections you should  be able to get a really nice 2, 4, or 8 track machine, 1/4" or 1/2". (affordable tape!)  I would hold out for a very good one in primo condition- won't cost a lot more, just a matter of finding one.

As for "is it close", it could be better. Mixing a lot of channels of tape together has it's compromises- noise on top of noise and intermodulation distortion. Less tracks can sound better. You have to learn to commit and get mixes going down live to tape, all things that can help a recording once you get the hang of it.

Just my .02, from a guy with 4 tracks of very nice analog on 1/4" and 2 tracks of very nice digital. Cost me about $600 for the 4 track in real nice condition- YMMV, but not dizzyingly.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

drumsound

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »

chrisj wrote on Sun, 12 December 2004 21:53

s.
I can only be envious of anybody working with 24 track analog tape in this day and age. Talk about having it freakin' easy... just doesn't seem fair that I have to burn endless CPU cycles and have everything just so and it's still a struggle, and the 24 track tape guys can just throw up mics and go. So forgiving. Life isn't always fair.

One still needs to be a good engineer to make things sound good on a 24-track 2" deck.  When I got my first 2" I got the tapes my old band recorded at a studio in
Chicago.  I thought I would re-mix it because I never liked the sound.  Well, the tones on tape are the crummy tones that I hate in the other engineer's mix.  He just didn't get good sounds.  It was a great room with a nice Neotek, a JH-24, tons of outboard, and a guy who didn't have a good ear.  

If one is a good engineer a good 2" machine will make that person sound even better, if the source sounds good in the first place....

lucey

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2004, 02:34:35 AM »

chrisj wrote on Sun, 12 December 2004 22:53

I can only be envious of anybody working with 24 track analog tape in this day and age. Talk about having it freakin' easy... just doesn't seem fair that I have to burn endless CPU cycles and have everything just so and it's still a struggle, and the 24 track tape guys can just throw up mics and go. So forgiving. Life isn't always fair.

you can join the party anytime Chris ... tape machines abound!

but skills are still required, as Tony said. the first 2 year on my machine were a challenge ...  all about learning bias/eq set ups and how things sounded off repro, hearing that in my head placing mics and picking pres/comps.

it was not so great at first ... but yes, now it's WAY easier.  and it sounds amazing, it's the promised land as far as i'm concerned

i could not enjoy working in digital unless i had a radar.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 16 queries.