R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: glass supplier?  (Read 2322 times)

ajcamlet

glass supplier?
« on: November 29, 2004, 11:18:17 AM »

anyone have a safty/laminated glass supplier for CR room windows in the NYC area?

alan camlet

John Klett

Re: glass supplier?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »

I don't have a specific supplier.  Generally we call glass places out of the yellow pages and get prices.  1/2" or 5/8" laminated glass is going to be the same everywhere in terms of what it is...  mainly it's going to be 'I need a piece of glass of this type, thickness and size...  what's you price and delivery?'  I always ask if there are any used pieces.  Glass suppliers often salvage glass from store that are being remodeled.  I've gotten some large pieces of glass that way for large savings.  Large suppliers will likely have enough material in stock to have what you want.

If you getting into larger pieces you want it to be installed by the supplier.  Most suppliers do installation and know how to do it right.  In fact some glass suppliers will not sell you a sheet of glass without installation.  You have to have the opening ready with all the stops and whatever gaskets, caulk etc. on hand and ready to go and a good supplier will send someone over to measure and quote.  I doubt there are any suppliers in Hoboken but in Union and/or Jersey City there have to be several.  If they are close the price will be lower and you are more likely to get someone to come over and quote...

If the glass is small - like six or eight square feet - you may be able to have it delivered or pick it up and deal with it yourself.  The largest piece I ever handled and installed myself was a 32 square foot piece of 5/8" lam...  and even though I had the cups, good gloves and two people helping it was something I would rather pay someone else to than do myself again.  I know other studio guys that are more fearless.

Anyway - Buying the glass and getting it installed is in itself not the hardest part.  The hardest part is making sure that the frame that has to hold the glass all in a flat plane...  think glass is not going to bend much to fit framing that is not done right.  For those who are bold at heart you CAN buy the suction cups and handle the glass your self from a sidewalk delivery
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

Vertigo

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:14:37 AM »

The best advice I could give is to get a list of EVERY glass place you can find in your area and get quotes from EVERY single one. I found that the price difference for the two panes I needed differed DRASTICALLY in the quotes. The average quote for the sizes I needed (about 3'x8') was around $400. The lowest quote was for $175. I went with the lowest of course - laminated glass is what it is, and there isn't any difference in quality vs. price in this arena.

And if you haven't already created your frame before ordering your glass then you're not ready to be placing your order in the first place.

Also make sure that the two panes you are ordering are of different thicknesses so they vibrate at different frequencies and therefore diffuse more sound.

-Lance

ajcamlet

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 10:40:54 AM »

Fantastic advice Guys, and yea i have priced around and noticed the drastic differences in price....

Vertigo

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 02:22:06 PM »

Here are a couple of pics of my control room window. I did all of the construction and mounting myself, although it probably should have been a two person job. Luckily I have a very strong back Wink

You're going to want to line your frame with felt or cork to keep the glass from vibrating and rattling the frame. Caulk any gaps in the frame but caulking the window shouldn't be necessary as long as you have a good tight fit. And not caulking will allow you to remove the window for cleaning if you wind up with a few smudges on the inside after installation (like I did). My glass is secured by 1x1's covered in felt (on the area that touches the glass) on either side and screwed into the frame. The panes are 1/2" and 3/4".

Also be sure to angle the inside pane (or both) so that the top is offset about 3-4 inches and the glass is angled to deflect any sound reflections downward.

http://www.downtotheshake.com/goatfinger/Studio19.JPG

http://www.suckerhead.com/goatfinger/Studio13.JPG

-Lance

nrgrecording

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 03:37:51 PM »

Hi.

I got 10 glass panes (10-12mm) for free...
They're used and from an old bank hall. I hope that they will work Rolling Eyes
4x 2x1m,5m for control room/studio
2x 1,6mx1m for vocal booth
2x 1,6mx0,4m for beside the door to control room

The only problem is... they all have the same thickness. I think its better to have two different sizes.

Frank.

http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/Grafik1.jpg

waylon s

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 09:22:20 AM »

Great tips all!

One mroe thing to mention just in case someone doesnt know, NEVER use silicone to seal a window in a double pane install, as the gasses that the silicone will let off will fog the inside of the window, makign for a big PITA removal and cleaning of the glass... if you must caulk, make sure whatever sealant you use will not do this ( felt or cork works better anyway), also, it is pretty handy to get a couble moisture absorbing packets ( like the ones that come in shoes) and leave them concealed in between the two panes..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.