R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie Onyx 800R?  (Read 5556 times)

Thomas Lester

Mackie Onyx 800R?
« on: November 26, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »

Hi all -

Has anyone heard these units, yet?  If so...  how do they sound?  Be honest?  I'm not a Mackie fan at all, but I'm reading reviews that they sound pretty good.  However...  "reviews" (i.e. in magazines) are rarely factual.  So...  I thought I'd ask some of you that may have actually heard these things.

Also...  if you have them or have heard them, have you heard the converters?  I'm looking for something to pad my live recording rig.  8 channels of pre w/ 8 channels of AES/EBU A/D for under $1K is a pretty good deal.  I'm looking at 8 or 16 channels to add to "the good stuff" in my rig.  

Let me know....

-Tom

dpaton

Re: Mackie Onyx 800R?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:07:39 AM »

I heard them briefly, but it was in headphones with a 58 in a noisy demo area, so I'm waiting for my rep to drop off a real demo piece sometime next month, so I can hear what it actually sounds like.

Like you, I think it looks cool for a "I just need 8 more channels" kind of thing, or for rough-n-ready field recording, but I'm not sure it'd ever be my go to box in the studio. I have all kinds of 'better' (read: different) things around for that.

-dave

NelsonL

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 11:59:21 AM »

They may very well sound pretty good, but this is some pretty wild marketing:

"The Onyx 1220, 1620 and 1640 start with Mackie's new Onyx mic preamps, which meet or surpass just about any standalone mic preamp on the market in terms of pure fidelity and head-room (and yes, there are specs to prove it). Next up is the completely new Perkins EQ circuitry, a "neo classic" 3- and 4-band design which gives you the sweet musicality of British EQ with greater filter control and minimum phase shift (plus a true hardware EQ bypass). This analog brilliance is paired with a full-featured discrete Auxiliary section, a completely redesigned mix bus and summing amp section, and a built-in Talkback section with onboard mic"

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 01:02:50 PM »

that's just the thing, mackie has spec sheets to prove everything

i've said this MANY times before...........

on paper.....the mackie product line simply can not be beat.....many spec sheets look identical, but VERY FEW are better.

purely judging on spec sheets, mackie is as good as a neve.

Thomas Lester

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 01:56:24 PM »

Yeah...  specs are specs are specs...  I never trust them, even if they were coming from Mr. Neve.  I'm hoping that someone here has actuall heard and are using these things.  I'm not planning to use them as my "go to" pre's, but for my live rig, I need that "spill" over rack.

-Tom

problacktshirt

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 10:49:47 PM »

Hey.
I've got two 800r's in my remote rack. I've done about 10 shows with them now, and I find them to be quite forgiving as far as clip goes. They do not seem like they "capture" like they are purported to, though. Hope that helps.
Michael.

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 10:22:15 AM »

Quote:

They do not seem like they "capture" like they are purported to, though. Hope that helps.

what exactly does that mean?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.