R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Old German Compressors?  (Read 32508 times)

mig27

Re: Old German Compressors?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 04:36:30 AM »

I can confirm all that has been said so far.
Here are my thoughts on the vintage Uxxx modules:

Siemens U273:
  Fat tone, slightly rolled of top end, creamy, dark

Telefunken U373a:
  Punchy, clear, beefy
  great on bass, OH and acoustic guitar

Neumann U473:
  extremely precise, unobstrusive.
  slightly veiled top end
  sometimes a tad boring

I wish I could comment on the U73 also, but prices became rather prohibitive lately: untested modules sold for $1000.00 a piece at eBay Germany the other day  Shocked

My 2 cents.

Michael

echorec

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 08:24:52 PM »

Just got myself a couple of Telefunken U 373 B/K and I love them! Rich, creamy... yummy! I like them even better than the U73b that I used to own.

bushwick

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 04:11:08 AM »

I just posted a response to someones U73 query in the guest moderator forum (Oliver Archuts). Go there if you are interested in a cursory review of U73b's. I have a cleaned up and modified pair with a varicom....totally amazing.
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

mumbles

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 02:04:50 PM »

Ok, how about Telefunken W395(a) eq's?

Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

echorec

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 05:40:52 PM »

Have not tried those but the Siemens W295 (probably similar) is just great! Why dont you ask Oliver about the old Siemens/TAB/Telefunken EQs on his guest moderating forum?  Razz

mumbles

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 07:05:45 PM »

Good idea.  Thanks.
Seamus
Seamus
Upstate, NY

Guillermo Piccolini

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 07:43:25 AM »

Hello I think it?s my first post here, but I?ve beeen reading these forums quite a bit for their unvaluable info. Now I?ll make this thread resurrect...Smile

I have a pair of U273 working pretty good. One has a little quirk; it doesn?t pass sound in the off position, and It?ll be fixed soon. But, as it has to go to the doctor I wonder the following: I?ve seen a different model of U273 wich  has more controls... also it seems that internally they?re the same as mines but with the extra stuff in an add-on plate that connects to the main electronics... so I want to ask if it?s possible and relatively easy to get more control from my units. ATM  I only have release time control and a switch for limiter/off/comp. I can more or less control the comp threshold feeding them with more or less signal, but I?d prefer to have that on the box and also an attack control. If I understood corectly that?s what the higher model has... BTW: mines are the fatter U273 not the slimmer U273s.
thanks in advance

Guillermo

PS: I?m in Madrid, so send them to Oliver is too expensive...Smile

Guillermo Piccolini

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 09:40:27 AM »

anyone?

just want to know if the U273 can be changed to U273a or if it can be modified in some way to have more controls.

George_

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 05:18:40 AM »

Oliver Archut wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 16:31

All U373a/bk and TS are either set up for +6dB or +12dB before something happens. The compression stroke is either adjustable on the faceplate as Volki points out or just fixed set
Here in the US are several techs that I could name for this mod, in germany it is quite hard to find qualified technicians that can modify vintage units....

Best regards,

Oliver

hi Oliver, I know several guys who can do it in Germany.

one of them is Karsten Dubsch, who is working currently for SMproaudio(stop laughing) and is known for modding trident consoles (he sells one: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-cla ssifieds/136733-fs-modified-trident-s65-16-16-16-2-a.html )

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

RMoore

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »

I have a pair of U273b and some U73b (modded and serviced by Oliver)..

The thing with the German broadcast gear is generally if you find the right units for a good price, you are getting a great used value when you consider the equipment was built to extremely high standards of quality and designed by genius Phd designers - the kinds of people who in the USA would have been working as project leaders at NASA, Lockheed Martin etc...

I think these units would have originally cost in the range of $2k-$4k each in today's money..

With the German broadcast compressors , I think the idea was they were meant to be set up a certain way and left alone for radio broadcast,  mastering, live studio recording,  etc and dealing with the audio hitting them -  so in their unmodded form, tend to be perhaps less handy (in terms of front panel knobs / parameters) in a tracking type situation where you might want to 'dial' in settings..in that respect there's nothing more handy than LA2A , 1176 style compressors where you tweak to taste..

So I find with the U's its better to set them a certain 'standard' way and let them do what they do, maybe making some slight adjustments..

The U273b sounds great and my U73b sounded better and were more useful in different situations after getting serviced / modded by Oliver..

The Sitral-era equipment like the U273b all sounds 'tube-like' even though its transistor..

I'd say the U273b / U73b I have sound similar but the U73b has more of an 'open' tone, mojo and funkiness, sounding a bit better IMO... But - I think the average user will have more of a fun time with a U273b since it will require less TLC and fiddling than an old tube unit like the U73b. Also the U273b seems to be able handle more hitting it without distorting or getting squeltchy like the U73b can do at times..

The new U73b units from Oliver sound very interesting since you will have all the joy, reliability and usefulness right out of the box without all the issues of a 40 year old piece of tube equipment.

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Guillermo Piccolini

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 07:08:43 AM »

thanks for the input.
I never heard the U273b, but it looks similar to the TAB U373. seems a bit more useful than mines. U273 only have release time (and a switch for limiter/off/compressor). Sound is really nice.

Does someboby know if it?s?possible to transform a U273 in an U273b while being cost effective?.  just to know if I shall keep looking for the technician or better forget about it. Smile

eljaron

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »

Hey guys I have two Telefunken U373a's that are racked and apparently all original. I bought them from 16 ton studios in nashville. If I were to sell these any idea how much I should ask?

Jaron

studentcouncil

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »

My EMT 266 is very useful for blowing up individual drum sounds, not much else.  If anyone wants one, I've got a spare with one bad card.
index.php/fa/5991/0/

stevieeastend

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:39 AM »

I don´t know too much about the old ones, but check out this one, it´s new, from germany and truly amazing!!!

http://www.hestudiotechnik.de/deutsch/gebrauchte%20studiotec hnik/new/vertigosound.htm

I would go so far to say it´s the best I´ever experienced...

cheers
st

RMoore

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 07:33:19 AM »

My stack of V & U series goodness
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/ryonik/stackofvgoodness.jpg

The U73b post-mod. There's also VU meters.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/ryonik/U73BARRAY-1.jpg
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.