R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: YOUR URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH THE SM57 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g  (Read 4092 times)

Markus Fischer

Re: YOUR URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH THE SM57 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>&a
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 04:38:13 PM »

Ramage Productions wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 17:10

the thesis is about the use of the SM57 and its iconic status, not really about how the mic works...
thanks tho

keep em comin ppl, just what i need.
Tom.

This link might be of interest:
Fletcher talks about the SM57 and his recording philosophy

Fig

Re: enough with the shouting, already! =)
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 04:44:57 PM »

ted nightshade wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 11:27

Can you tell me, what is an icon? A stratocaster has some of that, but it seems more so in the hands of a Hendrix, and thus when hewlett packard runs an add with that icon, they use a picture of Hendrix holding the strat. Hendrix is an icon- but the strat?

I'd agree Ted,

If there was/is a Shure mic that is iconic it is the 55 (or Elvis mic as it is called).  JFK, Martin Luther King, Jr., President Truman.  Perhaps the most recognizable mic image equal maybe to the RCA that is so popular (is that a 44 or a 77?  I can't keep 'em straight.)  I DO know that the 55 has been on at least two postage stamps.

I find it interesting that in the dictionary I have here at my desk, the line drawing next to the word "microphone" is an SM58.

Anyway, I wanted to mention, that after the 55, the microphone used by the US president, chosen by the White House Communications office is indeed the SM57 (two actually).

Why?

It works whether you are in the rainforest or the desert.

When the president speaks (whether you like what he is saying or not), he MUST be heard.

Iconic?  Maybe not.

Thom "Fig" Fiegle
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Loco

Re: YOUR URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH THE SM57 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 07:57:55 PM »

Ramage Thesis Productions wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 14:00

How why do you use the SM57 and how important popular would you consider the SM57 to be in your field of work?

The only thing I use it for is snare drum, Guitar cabs, and bongoes. I used to give it a broader line of work, but now I've switched to large-diaphragm mics (U47FET, TLM103, BLUE Dragonfly and Mouse) for most of the other percussion work.

Quote:

Do you think its popularity ever diminished, if so why?

Enter the more robust new ribbon mics and the cheap chinese large-diaphragm mics to the scene...

Quote:

Would you consider the SM57 has achieved an ?Iconic? status within the music industry? Why?

Easy to use, cheap, reliable... that's enough to make it popular. More than an icon, it's popular.

Quote:

Why do you think it has become such an essential part of standard mic PA/studio setup?

Read above.

Quote:

Have you ever known of someone using the SM57 as a handheld mic whether in studio or live?

Unlike some people say, Bono uses the SM58. That's his request. Phil collins does (did?) use it. Madonna recorded several hits of her early- 90's hits with it.

Quote:

Do you think the SM57 and the beta version are similar, if so in what ways?

They have the same number.

Quote:

Do you think that there are any cheaper but better microphones that do or don?t live up the performance as the SM57?

Different beasts. However, the Audix line holds up very well against the SM57.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Ramage Productions

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 05:27:04 AM »

cheers pppl

there is a reason as to why i may seem impatient

i have a month left to hand the thesis in, and im jus tryin to gather as much info and opinions as poss
makes for good material.
so thanks and keep em comin.

Tom.

RMoore

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2004, 07:05:12 AM »

<The Shure 545/546 was one of the most used mikes at United Western Recorders in Hollywood during the 1950s. We used them a lot at Motown too>

Wow- interesting!

Bob - your anecdotes about the days of yesteryear are always such a mind-blow..

Check out this article on 5th dimension 'Dawning of Aquarius' :

http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_th_dimension s_aquariuslet/

Supposedly they used Shure 546's on kick and bass amp among other things.

Hard to imagine anyone doing that on a recording in this day and age..
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 09:01:19 AM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 06:05

Hard to imagine anyone doing that on a recording in this day and age..

Not really for those of us who've had enough experience to know you can't believe everything you read in Mix!

One of my favorite stories is the time I put down using a 545 to a musician in high school only to find myself miking him with one ten years later after he had become a major rock star. He thankfully didn't remember me!

Johnny B

Re: YOUR URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH THE SM57 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 12:35:33 AM »

I think some great points have been made here.

The SM57 has some qualities that make it a very good little mic.

1, It's accessible, within the reach of nearly everyone..ie cheap
2. It's well-built, and like the man said above..."It takes a beating and keeps on ticking"  
3. The product is uniform, in that, one 57 sounds pretty much the same as the next one
4. The results are predictable to those who work with them on a regular basis
5. They can be field replaced in just about any city or country...ie If one breaks, you can buy a relacement anywhere
6, On some singers, they sound better than mics costing $10K
7. And they'vbe been a fairly standard choice to mic guitar cabs for many years
8. They can also be used on many kinds of instruments with pretty good results.
9. In a pinch, you can record everything with a 57, entire albums have been done with just a 57.

(Note: some people are such good artists and engineers that can take a complete piece of shit and make it sound wonderful, many people are not so blessed with these innate talents and cannot expect to achieve these great results)

The 57 may very well be the best mic in the world for the money, but that is not the same thing as saying it's THE best mic in the world. If one were to try to define THE best mic in the world, there would be all sorts of controversy and independen t judgement calls involving subjective taste and the important consideration of the engineer's ART.

Someone said the 57 is the sound of rock and roll, and that's probably true to a large degree..but it ain't true in ALL degrees. There are other mics that are important, many may be far more important than the 57.  I dunno.

Here's what I do know, all Pros should have a good selection of mics, cheap ones, mid range, and expensive ones. 57's and 58's should be in that tool kit, but so should many other mics. And the final decision on which mic to use is where the element of art and experience come in. And they are blended with a everlasting willingness to experiment. Don't forget, the only way science gets anywhere is by constant experimentation, and here, with audio, you have the ultimate meeting of science and art.

Last point, a paper on mics without some discussion of the scientific aspects and some sort of camparative analysis of different mics would seem to me to be inherently flawed..Completely ignoring the science from the discussion could result in a paper that is nothing more than "magazine-review-speak"...something that makes no lasting contribution to anyone's knowledge.

I would hope that you set higher goals for yourself and write a paper that is far more than fluff, I would hope you could write a paper that even the members of the Audio Engineering Society community would want to publish.

If you set your mind to it, you can do something that will be worthwhile.

I hope you do a "Great Paper," and get an A+. Good luck with this.
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality,
they are not certain; as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."
---Albert Einstein---

I'm also uncertain about everything.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 15 queries.