R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix competition :-)  (Read 35172 times)

Level

Hold on here...
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 09:18:45 PM »

None of this is official "Massenburg" approved. Someone needs to take the project and run with it if GM says, go for it. No one has asked his permission...... Rolling Eyes

If you guys want to do this, form up and get on with it. Being "in" or "on" is useless unless someone takes control of the project. I for one will watch and stand by.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

eightyeightkeys

Re: Mix competition :-)
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 10:23:46 PM »

This "contest" like the 2 others on the Music Player forum were not "approved" by anyone and much like a master class, everyone benefits. But, hey, we're just kicking around the idea and nobody's in any rush. It'll come together.
Dave T.
D&D Music

Timeline

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 10:36:12 PM »

If you do this please make sure the rules are included with a download as a read me.

Me thinks'  for those of us with fast cable service a download would be fine without having CDs sent.

Also, Spec's on system it was mixed on would be of great benifit to all of us on submission.

Cheers,
Gary Brandt
Timeline

Level

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2004, 10:46:09 PM »

Begs the question: tanov started the post. Who is in charge? Inquring minds.. want to know!
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

archtop

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2004, 10:59:24 PM »

If this gets ironed out.

put me down.

and then sign me up.
Richard Williams

djui5

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 04:45:31 AM »

First off.....George......we should have consulted you about this...it is your forum....are you ok with all of this?....if so....

Ok......I'm thinking this...

1) 24 track limit: Reason is that some people use hard disk recorders..and those are limited to 24 tracks...also...24 tracks has been the norm since the invention of the 24 trk 2".....it's a good round number...and will provide more than ample sounds. (my suggestion of 56 tracks was pretty absurd)

2) CD's are great.....but if you are on high speed and would rather download the files I think that would be great too. It would save paper/time/and money.

3) If there's going to be a mastering contest, then we need to keep that seperate from the mixes. Mixes will be judged pre mastering...so the mixers will burn 2 disks...one stereo 16/44.1 and one 24/whatever for the mastering engineer....the stereo disk will go to the judge..and that person will be responsible for making the compliations and mailing them out.....a fee will be included in the mixers submital package....say $10 or something? (no bribes)

4) There should be a deadline as to when the tracks have to be in....to keep people from lingering on the mix for 2 weeks.

5) We need a judge...some who's neither mixing or tracking any of this for obvious reasons......Fletch?...you're brutally honest.

6) We gotta have live instruments...but samples in the song isn't out of the question....

7) I like the maximum entry limit.....maybe 24 people?...24 tracks...24 people......we could call it the 24/24 mix contest.

that should do for now...happy turkey day
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

tanov

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 06:44:57 AM »

Level wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 03:46

Begs the question: tanov started the post. Who is in charge? Inquring minds.. want to know!

I started the post but I'm far away. Smile I mean that the time here is different it would be better if someone else can be in charge of this project.

I agree with CDs but how can I pay for it  Smile

d&d wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 20:38

4)There should be a limit to the number of participants. Maybe 20 total.

Hoping that you won't forget me  Very Happy

Level wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 02:18

None of this is official "Massenburg" approved. Someone needs to take the project and run with it if GM says, go for it. No one has asked his permission...... Rolling Eyes

If you guys want to do this, form up and get on with it. Being "in" or "on" is useless unless someone takes control of the project. I for one will watch and stand by.

I agree!
Vladimir Kamenov Tanov
http://mixperience.net

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 11:29:42 AM »

djui5 wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 04:45

First off.....George......we should have consulted you about this...it is your forum....are you ok with all of this?....if so....

Yes, O.K.

We did try and get some of the moderators involved in the previous 2 contests over on the Music Player forums. And to his credit Craig Anderton did a mix as well. And a nice one it was. Other moderators however did not even make a single post or reply as I recall.

Quote:

Ok......I'm thinking this...

1) 24 track limit: Reason is that some people use hard disk recorders..and those are limited to 24 tracks...also...24 tracks has been the norm since the invention of the 24 trk 2".....it's a good round number...and will provide more than ample sounds. (my suggestion of 56 tracks was pretty absurd)

Agreed. 24 tracks is plenty.

Quote:

3) If there's going to be a mastering contest, then we need to keep that seperate from the mixes. Mixes will be judged pre mastering...so the mixers will burn 2 disks...one stereo 16/44.1 and one 24/whatever for the mastering engineer....the stereo disk will go to the judge..and that person will be responsible for making the compliations and mailing them out.....a fee will be included in the mixers submital package....say $10 or something? (no bribes)

It would be interesting to get a Mastering Contest happening as well, but as I said, I think it should be only for the top 2 or 3 mixes. Maybe just for the winner ? Or, for the mix with the most "problems" ? I don't know which would be a better challenge.

Quote:

5) We need a judge...some who's neither mixing or tracking any of this for obvious reasons......Fletch?...you're brutally honest.

Fletch ? Yeah that would be very cool. GM ?
In the last contest the participants voted and commented. That was fine too.
Quote:

7) I like the maximum entry limit.....maybe 24 people?...24 tracks...24 people......we could call it the 24/24 mix contest.

I like it.
Dave T.
D&D Music

entropy

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2004, 01:32:26 AM »

Count me in!

I'm high speed here so down load would be preferable, CD would disadvantage me as I'd be waiting for the post to arrive as you lot would be polishing.
Sales Weasel

gtoledo3

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2004, 01:42:13 AM »

d&d,

On the sss-mixfest we had 16 tracks, and on the "remixathonG" at PSW we had 3 tracks and people added the rest.

Best,
George Toledo

djui5

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2004, 02:03:30 AM »

I sent GM an e-mail....haven't heard back from him.....seems he hasen't been here since the 23rd...probably busy with things....

ok...I'll take over this thing..
The 24/24 mix contest.

I'm gonna make a list of rules and post them tomorrow..

We need a track...who's willing to donate a 24 track session for this? It has to be good music....no musicians who are still trying to learn how to play 3 chord bars in time....whatever genra....rock would be perferable...but whatever

I'd like 2 judges...and those 2 can fight over who win's.....volunteers?...it has to be someone respectable..for obvious reasons....

The winning mix will be used for the mastering contest pending one......send em the best..see what they got.

Also...I'm gonna get together the list of people who've allready said they would do it....and see how many more we need....

Smile
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

djui5

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2004, 02:37:38 PM »

George has granted his gratious approval....so on we go.

yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Ozzy

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2004, 03:44:42 PM »

Put me down for it.

20to20

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2004, 05:24:21 PM »

I'm in, if there's room...

I may also be able to
provide some good raw tracks...

I'm currently working with a client whose
stuff would be perfect for this event,
but I'd have to get his approval, of course...

I do think that making this event an
actual "competition" may be problematic...

First, just finding someone acceptable to all
of the participants willing to be the judge...

Second, with all of the brilliant entries,
how would one be able to decide...?

It's not like we're not all going to
be trying our best to impress, anyway... Rolling Eyes

The previous online mix events that
I've participated in have all been
set up as opportunities to explore and
learn from the various approaches that
different individual engineers choose...

But if it's to be a competition,
I throw my porkpie in the ring...
Bob Phillips
20to20soundesign

arimaka

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2004, 06:04:37 PM »

Put me down for it as well!!

I agree with 20to20 though... last time I participated in anything like this was in MixerMan's forum... If you want to make it a competition it's fine with me, but to me the most important thing will be to see how many other engineers will approach this mix differently, and listening to those mixes...

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------
Manuel Jimenez
Recording/Mixing Engineer
manuel@arimaka.com
857-891-7321
Boston, MA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.