R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: finally, a calm, rational take on the election  (Read 4555 times)

hollywood_steve

finally, a calm, rational take on the election
« on: November 14, 2004, 10:12:03 PM »

And don't get hung up on the URL, it is a very well written examination of the "state of the nation."

http://fuckthesouth.com

trexrox

Re: finally, a calm, rational take on the election
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 02:53:25 AM »

hollywood_steve wrote on Sun, 14 November 2004 22:12

And don't get hung up on the URL, it is a very well written examination of the "state of the nation."

http://fuckthesouth.com

Well written?  Are you high?

Tell you what, you can keep your national monuments.  

But we're taking back Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Miles, Coltrane, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, James Brown, Al Green, Aretha Franklin , Allman Brothers, Willie Nelson, and on, and on..... If you own any of their records, you can just send them down here.  

"fuck the south" is such BS.  For one thing, most politicians do not even campaign in the south.  To get a southern vote, why not campaign here and give the south something to vote FOR?
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/countymaplinearlarge.pngAs you can see, the reddest areas are the central west.... If you're really wanting to divide the nation based on politics, then why don't you say "Fuck the Central North/South West"

t(h)ik

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 03:32:23 AM »

Awesome premise....

Pretty cool research possibly even twenty-minutes...

It would be a lot funnier if it were more brutal and cynical...

But I don't think it's a North, South thing at all it's clearly Urban, provincial....

And you can find lots of lovely racism in the Borroughs of New York and throughout New Jersey....

The best about this post could be that we all research the founding fathers a bit more when some dickwad (me) says something like:

Most of the men of action were from the red states and the pencil-necked geeks who sat on their ass while the boys were out fighting were from gay-assed Mass......I'm talking about the inner circle.....and I would never be serious about this anyway.....I think the article was pretty good, just coulda been better if the author wasn't such a lazy liberal asshole...

With Love, Grace, and Hope...

May the Lord Jesus Christ enrich and bless you...

TIK
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

lucey

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:20:12 AM »

Will Loftin wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 02:53

Tell you what, you can keep your national monuments.  

But we're taking back Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Miles, Coltrane, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, James Brown, Al Green, Aretha Franklin , Allman Brothers, Willie Nelson, and on, and on..... If you own any of their records, you can just send them down here.  

Suffering is the cause of much great music ... lots of suffering in the South.  The music is great but at what cost?

Quote:

"fuck the south" is such BS.  For one thing, most politicians do not even campaign in the south.  To get a southern vote, why not campaign here and give the south something to vote FOR?

I agree Will, but the Electoral College is the issue here.  You want attention? ...  one citizen one vote.

As far as the lack of Democrats, previously it was assumed that Southerners were smart enough to vote for their rights and their economic interests over their Bibles and election era bon mots to their interests.  This is no longer the case.

Starting with Texas 30 years ago the Republicans have done a good job of winning back the South with rhetoric, even as the policies do little to represent the voters ... excepting the rich elderly and large city folks who want their low taxes uber alles.

Plus flag waving rhetoric about "freedom" has always gone over well in the South, and the Republicans excel at this technique.

Other then that I agree with you 100%
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

David Schober

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 04:49:10 PM »

In light of that article's bragging about having the most money, here's an interesting statistic considering which states have the most wealth vs charitable giving.
Seems the idea that Democrats have the most compassion is a load of crock.  

Presidential Election, 2004
Ranked by the Catalogue For Philanthropy Generosity Index

Generosity Index   State   Electoral Result
1   Mississippi-----Bush
2   Arkansas----- -Bush
3   Oklahoma------Bush
4   Louisiania------Bush
5   Alabama-------Bush
6   Tennessee------Bush
7   South Dakota---Bush
8   Utah-----------Bush
9   South Carolina--Bush
10   Idaho----------Bush
11   Wyoming-------Bush
12   Texas----------Bush
13   West Virginia----Bush
14   Nebraska-------Bush
15   North Dakota----Bush
16   North Carolina---Bush
17   Kansas---------Bush
18   Florida---------Bush
19   Georgia--------Bush
20   Kentucky-------Bush
21   Montana--------Bush
22   Missouri--------Bush
23   New Mexico-----Bush
24   Alaska---------Bush
25   Indiana---------Bush
26   New York-------Kerry
27   Iowa-----------Bush
28   Ohio-----------Bush
29   California-------Kerry
30   Maryland-------Kerry
31   Illinois---------Kerry
32   Maine----------Kerry
33   Delaware-------Kerry
34   Washington-----Kerry
35   Vermont--------Kerry
36   Oregon---------Kerry
37   Hawaii----------Kerry
38   Virginia---------Bush
39   Arizona---------Bush
40   Nevada---------Bush
41   Pennsylvania   -----Kerry
42   Michigan--------Kerry
43   Colorado--------Bush
44   Connecticut-----Kerry
45   Minnesota-------Kerry
46   Wisconsin-------Kerry
47   New Jersey-------Kerry
48   Rhode Island-----Kerry
49   Massachusetts----Kerry
50   New Hampshire---Kerry

The "Catalog for Philanthropy" was created  in 1997 by an Massachusetts organization to increase charitable giving in the state.  At the time, it was Massachusetts had the greatest disparity between income and giving.

Here's their link.  Click on the link "Technical Notes" to see the formula that was used for this analysis.

http://www.catalogueforphilanthropy.org/cfp/db/generosity.ph p?year=2004
David Schober

PRobb

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 02:14:20 AM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 10:20

Starting with Texas 30 years ago the Republicans have done a good job of winning back the South with rhetoric, even as the policies do little to represent the voters ... excepting the rich elderly and large city folks who want their low taxes uber alles.

Plus flag waving rhetoric about "freedom" has always gone over well in the South, and the Republicans excel at this technique.

Other then that I agree with you 100%

The Democrats lost the South when LBJ passed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts and George Wallace and Richard Nixon started talking about "state's rights".  Draw your own conclusions. Since 1964 the only democrat to win in the South was Jimmy Carter.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

lucey

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 10:53:32 AM »

So David ... by that measure we should all aspire to be as generous as Mississippi ?

They are the poorest state, and they give the most per capita.  Now why would the poor give the most?  And where do you think their giving goes?

Political candidates that will help their plight?  Land Mine removal?  Aids?  World Hunger?  Inner City Poverty?  Local Schools that are underfunded by Bush?

How about Head Start, early education for the poor ... that loses funding every year these last 4?

I'm betting their "philanthropy" goes to Churches.  "God save us from this world of poverty that Republicans have created."

I mean if self interest is the Neo Con motto, and self reliance - not Government help - is their creed, then Mississippi had better hope that God will help them, because their government will not.

I believe the Gov. of Mississippi is a former Republican lobyist who ran as a 'good ole boy' and then turned on his people once in office.  He has no interest in fighting or even talking about the HUGE cuts in Medicaid/Medicare for the poor and sick in his state and in repeated attempts his office has turned away citizens and reporters and ELECTED LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES alike with lies and misinformation abut Bush's policies.  

Mississippi is fukked by this administration in particular, so they can be as generous as they like .. democracy is NOT working for them.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

t(h)ik

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 12:28:44 PM »

Democracy = Handouts?

How about fukken study in school or go to work....

Reality Check...
www.pmtstudios.com

lucey

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »

sixtiksix wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 12:28

Democracy = Handouts?

How about fukken study in school or go to work....

Reality Check...

I studied it plenty in College partner.  You?

"Government of, by and for the people" sound familiar?

When the tax burden of the richest 1% is being lowered by a small degree that does them little good, and the health care burden is being raised by 90% on the poor and infirm in the poorest state in the country  ...

Democracy is not working.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

t(h)ik

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 06:56:20 AM »

Yeah it was raised by 90%....

LOL

The cause that never was.....

And No, I spent my time in college trying to get in the pants of the Journalism Students....cause the babes studying the real subjects were too smart to go out with me....

I wonder which one of us received the best edjamacation.....

Your Friend (does that make me a commie lover?)

TIK
www.pmtstudios.com

lucey

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 04:11:09 PM »

sixtiksix wrote on Wed, 17 November 2004 06:56

Yeah it was raised by 90%....

What was a $10 or a $15 co pay on Mississippi Medicaid is now $120-140/month in many cases.  And these folks earn $1000/month ...

And the big fun comes in 2005 when the Medicaid cancer policy changes and hundreds of thousands now covered in every state will no longer be covered.

You think I'm making this up?  Do I need one of the top cancer doctors in the country, a career Republican, to call you up and tell you why he voted for Kerry? ... Bush has legislated pain and death for the LEAST POWERFUL and the MOST NEEDY of our citizens.

Everyone but the heartless will hate this policy in action ... why do you think they wrote that part to kick in after the election?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 19 queries.