R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Very capable AE looking for work  (Read 3377 times)

Level

Re: Very capable AE looking for work
« on: November 20, 2004, 11:46:04 PM »

One suggestion, their are many different divisions of Lucas. Industrial light and magic, Skywalker sound, Lucas film...etc..

Check out what they all have in "openings"/"Jobs". I was very tempted a couple of times to put in my resume'. You just never know what can pop up within their world. Simply getting on one of their teams will open some doors. You would not be bored!!!

It would be a real shame if you don't find something fast. This is an excellent oppurtunity for someone to get someone (you) with skills and equipment. You never know until you try. I felt that their were two oppurtunities in the past where I would be welcomed aboard their ship. It would not hurt to visit each and every studio within 40 miles of your area first and lay your cards on the table. Any reasonable facility with an extra room should jump on you..especially if you can bring in new work.

I do wish you well.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Level

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 05:38:52 AM »

I got my start in all of this in 1974, doing consultant work with a major loudspeaker company and by 1975, they actually hired me to do some design work. Before that time, I was a home brew DIY guy with loudspeakers, learning to play music and it did not take long to realize that recordings themselves, and the productions had more of a bearing on the final sound than any of the home/consumer loudspeakers..PLUS, the professional loudspeakers that studios used, made such a difference as well.

So, 1976 it was. I begin by doing live recordings of bands and "lucked in" on a few heavy duty FOH gigs and major studio mixdowns due to simply "going for it" and having input that was welcomed and sorely needed at that time. Put it this way, I used my ears and listening skills and knowledge to put myself in the position to make a difference. I was well received 30 years ago because people back then knew that an extra guy might or "could" make a difference (pass the doobie)..and I learned from everyone I worked with, still learning today...with exception to so many that are in the actual position to be teaching that can't find their ass with both hands or simply follow the status quo and nothing new is acceptable, even if it is very old..and they have not been there before. We live in a world where you have so many armchair experts without the ability to comprehend "change" or the need to. I hear mixes all the time that SUCK and others say "right on" so we just deal with the law of averages and make that do. You have bookworms and mathematicians that have the concept down but fail to see the other dimensions never studied in school because they actually have not been presented with good papers (had no access to them) that would not pass through a referee system of submission, because someone (referee) was "blindsided" due to the "establishment", its difficulties and the scientific communities lack of forward thinking. We have "Fletcher-Munson" curves established 70 years ago..when no change nor form of human evolution that could be considered due to the short time span, in actuality, without new testing or new procedures or new subjects, the old standard ranks "SUPREME" and is "locked" as "absolute". Certainly people hear differently and their are more subjects of different types today. Especially those who have listened and been conditioned by ELECTRIFIED MUSIC!

You can make new strides. Never forget that. I would LOVE to have you..but you may not love to have me. Who knows? The work is not there. I do "repair jobs for a pittance" and every once in a while, I get something I love and take under my wing to see it through.

Nowadays, you have over 1000 loudspeaker companies and the calibration is all over the place. It is "acceptable" practice, each one speaking that theirs is the "best" and no real standards of acoustic environments are normalized, such as absorption coeff. or room density or even dB level. Hell, look at the loudness war. That is a prime example of stupidity and ignorance prevailing over quality and usefulness of the machines.

So...I really really wish you well. If I can help whatsoever, feel free to PM me. All I can do is bust my chops to work for 1/10th of what I worked for 20 years ago and provide 10X the quality and get 1/14th the amount of work to do.

Sound familiar?

Remember, I do wish you well.

God Bless.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

t(h)ik

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 08:51:32 AM »

I did the PM thang....

I am thinking about changing my quote:

Evolution is based on imperfection....unfortunately not on any of my imperfections....

TIK
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 11:58:38 AM »

Pricey wrote on Sat, 20 November 2004 15:04

Experience: 6 years of running a studio in Chicago, recording every imaginable genre of music (rock, metal, punk, pop, R&B, polka, country, jazz, opera, classical), producing bands, coaching performers, and learning tact and diplomacy.

My clients in Chicago were very loyal, and had a lot of trouble replacing me. No studio could provide the same level of service in the same price range, or anywhere near it.

Uhhhh, what's wrong with moving to Chicago and hanging out a shingle.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Level

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 08:37:49 PM »

In ANY market, there is a vacuum. We all know vacuums SUCK...but the ones who want to fill it, come out, 'way on top'. Sometimes... you have to shift gears. Live recording and gig CD one offs, editing. I can think of a ton of things I have done that are niche' markets. Locate in your mind exactly where you want to be 3 years from now. Not just the money but in happiness and peace of mind. What do you want to be doing. Believe me, punching vocals for a very famous artist was not all fun, games and happiness. As a matter of fact, listening or even putting up with the "cat fights" between producers and artists was the lowest of the low..and the shitty attitudes that can prevail. (My wallet bigger than yours, crap)

Find that place you want to be. Pray for it, live it. Do it. Be it. Money starts coming in. Just be happy.

The same shit happenes no matter where you are. It is not the place. It is you. Make it right for yourself!

I played for a great jazz band once in a sit-in and the main man (right before my 24 bar ride) said...Bill "go for yourself"!!!!

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 11:17:44 PM »

Level wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 19:37

It is not the place. It is you. Make it right for yourself!

AMEN!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.