R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Got a New Snare...signal chain suggestions  (Read 2479 times)

andyg

Just Got a New Snare...signal chain suggestions
« on: November 21, 2004, 02:37:37 PM »

My drummer just purchased a new Tama Starclassic snare drum...6 1/2" maple. We played a gig last night and the thing sounded incredible...warm and fat with plenty of crack. We're recording some basic tracks after Thanksgiving and I need some signal chain suggestions to best capture this monster tone. The type of music is vintage style rock. Gear at our disposal includes;

Mics; U195, ADK A-48, sm57's and 58's, dragonfly
Pre's; Chandler TG2, Great River 1NV, TAB v-78 (Coming from   Mercenary this week, can't wait), Joe Meek twin Q
Compressors; Chandler TG1, Chandler LTD-2, Distressor, RNC

I'm hoping to use at most 5 mics on the kit (kik, snare, hi-hat, overhead and one in front of the kit)
For the snare I'm thinking of using a 57-v78-distressor combination.

I realize I'll most likely be trying various combinations till I'm happy, but I'm looking for any tips or insights to get a big, phat, warm snare sound!!!

judah

Re: Just Got a New Snare...signal chain suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 03:15:32 AM »

andyg wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 20:37

My drummer just purchased a new Tama Starclassic snare drum...6 1/2" maple. We played a gig last night and the thing sounded incredible...warm and fat with plenty of crack. We're recording some basic tracks after Thanksgiving and I need some signal chain suggestions to best capture this monster tone. The type of music is vintage style rock. Gear at our disposal includes;

Pre's; Chandler TG2, Great River 1NV, TAB v-78 (Coming from   Mercenary this week, can't wait), Joe Meek twin Q

I'm hoping to use at most 5 mics on the kit (kik, snare, hi-hat, overhead and one in front of the kit)

I realize I'll most likely be trying various combinations till I'm happy, but I'm looking for any tips or insights to get a big, phat, warm snare sound!!!

Hi,
I can't reply in full to your question because I do not own all of you stuff, but I'd like to suggest another mic for you to try our on snare. Lately I fell in love with the Beyer M420. Is cheap and ready on ebay and gives you incredible results. I mentioned it because the last snare I used it on was a Tama Starclassic, with fiberskin top head and the sound was just incredible. Thru John Hardy M1. And RNC in normal mode.

Cheers.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:40:57 AM »

That chain should work... in fact, damn near any chain should work.  That's part of the sheer beauty of great sounding "source" tones... it makes what you choose for the path a little less critical... or at least a good measure more forgiving.

One thing I've been doing for snare a lot over the last few years is mic'ing the shell of the drum from like 4-6 inches off the drum.  The mic gets aimed to the side of the drum between the top and bottom rims of the drum with the H/H in the null of the mic's pickup pattern.  Most of the time I get all of the body of the drum with all the "crack" of the snares I could ever hope for... and yeah, sometimes I have to move and/or change the mic until I get what I'm looking for but as long as you start with a good source, the rest is easy.

Best of luck with it... please let us know how it goes!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

el duderino

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 02:59:58 PM »

andyg wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 14:37

...warm and fat with plenty of crack.

sounds like a plumber i know Laughing

andyg

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »

you would know...you are the assman

lucey

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 04:54:41 PM »

andyg wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 14:37

with all that gear it should be fun, not hard ...

for a 4 ch drum ... K, SN, OH, Room ... my start:
U195 front of kick with GR
58 2" off the beater head with Meek  - out of phase
- mult to one Ch

57 side of the snare with TAB or TG2

Dragonfly 2' over the rack toms, or out front a foot, with GR or TG2 or TAB

ADK in the room with TG2 or TAB and a disreessor/LTD/TG1
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.