R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Human failings, Gov't, and Religion (was 'client unhappy...')  (Read 7548 times)

PP

Human failings, Gov't, and Religion (was 'client unhappy...')
« on: October 29, 2004, 07:48:01 AM »

dcollins

Re: normal protocol for client unhappy w/ master
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 05:42:24 AM »

Peter  Oxford wrote on Fri, 29 October 2004 04:48

“Watch closely the criticisms that people make of others, you can learn a lot about someone from this. For it is an infallible law of the human personality that we most often criticise in others, that aspect that inwardly, we most dislike about ourselves.”

Wait a sec, how can anything human be an "infallible law?"  
References, please.

Or is this a recursive function?

Quote:

Does this explain your close questioning and inferred criticism of Levels methods, by any chance?

I like Science.  

When the description seems to defy gravity, I want to know why.

Sometimes it's unique and I learn something new, other times it's  as old as the hills but unknown to the designer.

As there have never been any non-scientific claims associated with audio, we may take everything at face value and apply it verbatim.

Quote:

I like humour Dave.
(and I know you do too).

And who doesn't?

Heisenberg is stopped for speeding and the copper asks "Do you know how fast you were going?"

He says "No, but I know where I am"

Ba Dum.

Quote:

May I be ever so slightly presumptuous?

See, I was making a religious-type joke there with the Rev. 2 and Peter took the bait.  I like that in a guy.

I like Religion too, but I also like talking about Mastering.

Oh, And keeping it short.  But that's a story for another day.
{funny emoticon}

DC

PP

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 07:43:56 AM »

dcollins

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 03:02:16 AM »

Peter  Oxford wrote on Wed, 03 November 2004 04:43

Jesus said “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me.”

Got it, but what about my question?

Quote:

Dave,… I can’t make sense of lot’s of things… Honestly I can’t… But I let it go, the issues for me perhaps are different…

Well, I do tend to ask the odd question when things don't seem to add up....  Usually in an attempt to understand, although I am certainly not above ridicule -- in the interest of education, naturalment.

Quote:

I would like to say I appreciate your graceful response’s that reflect on you well.

Thank you, Peter.

Apparently I was so graceful on the old webboard that I was told to stop picking on BK, or be banned forever.................

Quote:

One like the one some of my pals have been working on and developed and been driving.  One like this….

Whew.  Where to start?  With the laws of thermodynamics, I guess.

No one ever says where this Hydrogen comes from.  Do you make it from water?  Bzzzzzt. That takes like seven times the energy you put in.  Need to build a new reactor to power your hydrolysis machine?

Hydrogen isn't even a fuel, it's more like a battery that you have to charge up everytime.

Do you want a liquid Hydrogen tank in your car?  Not me.  This will bring a new definition to car wrecks, as emergency services will just be met with a small crater in the road, with all else made vapour.

Take a look at what NASA does with liquid H2 to see the unbelievable precautions that are needed.

In approaching a Hydrogen fire there is something called the "Rule of Thumb."  You stop about a mile away and hold your thumb up at arms length.  If you can't cover the fire up with it, you're too close.............

Did I mention how H2 eats metal?  Or that there is no known way to give it an odor like we do with natural gas?  Or that leaking H2 travels around in a way that is guaranteed to blow up?

Sounds like a great idea, till the practical side kicks in.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it worked better, I really do.  There are more LNG cars and busses in Los Angeles all the time.  Plenty of Hybrids, as well.  They'll need batteries every x years, which isn't free, but it's a start.

A bit like solar power, where it looks at first blush to be incredible, but it's really a net energy loss......

Quote:

Your driving along…  

Quite happily…  

At the speed of light….

And you turn your headlights on….  

What Happens….?

The answer is: 42

Quote:

Quote DC : “I like Religion too”

That’s very interesting Dave!

I like to think so.

Quote:

Quote DC : “Oh, And keeping it short.”
                        {funny emoticon}

Ooopps….   Is this a human fallibility?

Well, this post is long enough as it is. Time to wrap it up.

Quote:

I’ve just written a kind of ‘operatic piece’ I haven’t timed it exactly but just the one song is at least twenty minutes long….  George said he liked it anyway!  

We'll have to edit that down for a single release, to something like 3:29.  Maybe an early fade?  Who's George?

Quote:

The groove was so thin on the final side… That there was hardly any level as they got to the end…..

Sadly, there is incompetence in every field.

DC

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 12:13:12 PM »

Peter  Oxford wrote on Wed, 03 November 2004 12:43

They once sent an album (I orchestrated) to be mastered… And it came back as a double album..  

I know you’ll find this hard to believe …

The groove was so thin on the final side… That there was hardly any level as they got to the end…..

If this was a long side it sounds like the transfer engineer didn't do their job correctly of setting levels vs. land available by doing a practice run through first and instead started running out of space towards the end of the side and ducked the level in order to make everything fit.  Either that or there were mechanical difficulties with either cutter head height or depth settings being incorrect.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

lucey

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 12:55:54 PM »

what's the normal protocol for someone (me) frustrated by a christian detour within an otherwise useful thread about business practices in the real world where mortals are in conflict with e.o.?

respectfully peter:  with this election showing the domination of the faith-based, my patience meter for bible study as an answer to everything is in the red.

many of us already have a born again family member or friend, and most of us have a born again President ... nuff znuff.

freedom of religion is by definition freedom from religion.  if i want answers to todays problems written long ago and translated in many ways over time, i'll reread the U.S. Constitution
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

mastermind

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »

lucey wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 11:55

respectfully peter:  with this election showing the domination of the faith-based, my patience meter for bible study as an answer to everything is in the red.

many of us already have a born again family member or friend, and most of us have a born again President ... nuff znuff.

Absolutely have to agree here... although with some of the longer posts my eyes tend to glaze over a bit and I usually go over ot the other board where we're talking about shock rebound settings, ride height, and negative camber....

t

trevor sadler

David Glasser

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 07:45:56 PM »

[quote title=]mastermind wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 13:28]
Quote:

Absolutely have to agree here... although with some of the longer posts my eyes tend to glaze over a bit and I usually go over ot the other board where we're talking about shock rebound settings, ride height, and negative camber....

t

Or, in my case, about best speed-to-fly, ridge-lift, variometers, dynamic reverse launches, glide ratios, speed bars, and b-line stalls...
David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

dave@airshowmastering.com
www.airshowmastering.com

PP

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 08:08:32 PM »

lucey

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 12:27:21 AM »

Peter  Oxford wrote on Thu, 04 November 2004 20:08

You mean…  The majority of Americans have values similar to mine… No wonder I love the American people so… This great affection of mine for Americans has nothing to do with politics whatsoever.. But is about the good American people and their values. I love and admire them.

Americans are good people?  Sure .. as long as you don't frighten us with science, reason or new ideas that challenge our power, ego, or social status in any way.  

Less than 1/2 of Americans voted.  Just over 1/2 of them (or 1/4 of the population) agree with you that our Liberal Democracy, in spite of it's specific Constitutional aims not only against the rule of religion but even the IMAGE of alignment with religion in place of fact-based policy, should be ruled by a Theocratic King-Substsite.

We left Britain for a reason ... and King George reminds many of us why.

Believe any faith you like, make posts of Biblical proportions as you wish, yet don't endorse those who rule with a cross on their sleeve is what we ask, or gloat in the inappropriate alignment of religious and political power at this pivotal time.

And speaking of ... the timing is poor for your .10% openness. This should be obvious Peter unless you've been in sessions all month!   I have emails from Europeans who are shocked and distressed...  it's just not the time for a casual Christian reference, that's all.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

Level

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 01:00:46 AM »

Quote:

And speaking of ... the timing is poor for your .10% openness

I really don't think Peter was deliberately timing his postal content.. based on the current events.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

lucey

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 01:35:32 AM »

Level wrote on Fri, 05 November 2004 01:00

I really don't think Peter was deliberately timing his postal content.. based on the current events.

Intentional or unintended ... the timing is simply poor and the venue is inappropriate.  

I'll stop now Brad ..

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

PP

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 07:00:03 AM »

lucey

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 10:29:26 AM »

So you assert that on the one hand you're apolitical ... And on the other, there is never a bad time for the Gospel?

There is a wrong time for Religion in America, according to our Constitution and all the papers that surrounded it from all sides at the time.  The wrong time is when the Federal government appears to represent or be primariy aligned with one religion.  God is a broad term, that is allowed ... yet Religion and God are not the same.

You can call yourself apolitical all day long if it makes you have more clients and a better professional image (which seems your motivation) but your stance is also the stance of the Republicans now in power here.  "God is good, at any time.  God means freedom, and freedom is good."

What a simplistic manipulation of fact.  Remember the Witch Hunts?  The Klan believes in God too.

Islamofascists also believe that God is good, and they also believe that Religion and Government are inseperable. So you , like Bush , are the idiological opposite of fascists. And to have opposites, as you well know .. is to ensure conflict indefinitely.

Perhaps you, Like Bush, have no problem with this as you are assured of your peace after the Middle East is destroyed and the Rapture redeems the believers in Christ?

Peter  Oxford wrote on Fri, 05 November 2004 07:00

Quote : “We left Britain for a reason ... and King George reminds many of us why.”

I see your point Brian, I can understand.  

With respect, there is a however, fundamental flaw in it. You see, this comment presumes that very many immigrants that left for America, did so for a very high minded politically motivated purpose that is anti monarchist…  In fact for a great many, the reasons historians know about, were a baser type of metal altogether…

Do not insult the creators of this Democracy ... they did something your rulers have never done.  They took nothing and made something great and long lasting based on Principles that encouraged human potential, not based in dogma or a family tree.

America exists in principle as a place free from oppression, where the majority rules and the minority view is respected, all in line with the aims of the Constitution.

Freedom is not absolute here ... yet it is as broad as it can be, as liberal if you will .... unless that freedom steps on others freedoms.

The rule of a Zealot, or of a Monarcy is in principle forbidden in the American aim, and yet We The People have such ignorance we have let it come to pass.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

PP

Re: Human failings, Gov't, and Religion (was 'client unhappy...')
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 12:36:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.