R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: a better "Masterlink"?  (Read 4236 times)

bobkatz

Re: a better "Masterlink"?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 09:39:33 PM »

Thanks for the info, Brad. I think it would be real cool. Even cooler if it has a hard disc!

I keep about 45 minutes worth of high res material on my Masterlink's hard disc for whoever walks in the door, to play the system.

Let me see, if all the Tascam has is DVDR, then for stereo  96/24 it would be 4.7 GBytes or approximately 144 minutes of stereo music. Not bad! Maybe I should get the Tascam.  I'd love to get rid of my Masterlink!

Do you know the price?

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2004, 11:01:34 AM »

Let's talk about the pros and (potential) cons of this box. Did they learn all the lessons of what not to do from the Masterlink?

1) Media

OK, I see it supports DVD+RW and CD-R/RW media.

What about DVD-R and DVD+R media? If it does not support the first, then there will be many players that will not read its blanks. Same with the second, though currently in the minority. I don't think I'd buy a machine that could not write to DVD-R media; every one of my DVD players will read DVD-R discs. Currently only a minority will read the alternatives.

2) USB-2.0. Most current PCs support USB 2.0, but only the latest Macs. What is the compatibility with Macs?

3) Wired Remote Control. These are relatively inconvenient, especially when you discover the cord is 6 feet too short. So it's wiring time in Memphis...

4) Is it possible to record via digital or analog input to an "open session" DVD, and also later on, copy your pro tools session files over to that DVDR and finalize the disc? Otherwise, the Tascam just becomes a fancy external PC-based DVD writer.

5) Can it find the audio files within folders on a DVD that was recorded in Pro Tools or on any system and then play them? How easy is it to navigate through these folders using the remote?

And other questions we might come up with!
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

3D Audio

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004, 04:04:50 PM »

Get in touch with Tascam and try to get one of the first to hit the streets on a trial/review basis. That's the only thing that will satisfactorily answer your questions.

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »

Hi Lynn (and welcome)!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Doug Van Sloun

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2004, 04:36:31 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Fri, 05 November 2004 20:39

Thanks for the info, Brad. I think it would be real cool. Even cooler if it has a hard disc!

Clete and I thought the same thing.  If it had a hard drive and a better interface than the Masterlink, it would be a no brainer.
Doug Van Sloun
http://www.focusmastering.com
Omaha, NE
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.