R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: a better "Masterlink"?  (Read 4221 times)

hollywood_steve

a better "Masterlink"?
« on: November 02, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »

OK, I'll admit to completely blowing off the Tascam booth this year, and it appears to be my loss.  I just learned about the Tascam DV-RA1000 and it seems to be the solution for anyone looking for a high powered 2 track recorder for mixdowns, 2-track archiving, etc.  And as a special bonus for a few of us, in addition to Hi-Res PCM files, this new box also works with DSD files!  

Does this thing live up to its press hype?  If so, it seems like a remarkably cheap solution to several problems. Or, if there was something else that I missed that was an even better solution for 2 track recording / archiving, please tell me what else I missed.

Level

Re: a better "Masterlink"?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 08:18:56 PM »

Hi Steve!

If the input is direct DSD to a recording and analog out, not bad. DSD in itself is suffering a shade of bad press because of:

PCM involvement of the chain.
Architechture.
Cost of pressing.

If this machine can print a useable direct from DSD to direct from DSD to analog capture, what is the removable media?

I would like more info.

To date, the DSD releases I have been involved with do NOT sound as close to what they should as I would like them to based on the master. I do have very high quality DSD playback to analog as well...based on what is avalable (Sony SACD-1)

OOOOOPPPPS...Update, thanks to my friend Lynn Fuston...

http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_top ic&f=14&t=002154
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 09:49:27 PM »

Level wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 19:18

To date, the DSD releases I have been involved with do NOT sound as close to what they should as I would like them to based on the master.

Hey Bill, which SACDs have you worked on?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:57:59 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 21:49

To date, the DSD releases I have been involved with do NOT sound as close to what they should as I would like them to based on the master.

Yes, and what SACD's can't you get to sound as good as your cdr's. Cost is much more. Not enough market. There is still some bands releasing SACD's, Stones released one just this month, or maybe they are still working on it, but SACD is like Sony Playstation 2, you just can't stick em in your walkman or PC cdrom.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 06:28:26 AM »

Ronny wrote on Wed, 03 November 2004 02:57

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 21:49

Yes, and what SACD's can't you get to sound as good as your cdr's. Cost is much more. Not enough market. There is still some bands releasing SACD's, Stones released one just this month, or maybe they are still working on it, but SACD is like Sony Playstation 2, you just can't stick em in your walkman or PC cdrom.

Indeed, I agree on all points, but remain curious as to which SACD releases Bill has worked on. Do tell...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 08:44:10 AM »

hollywood_steve wrote on Tue, 02 November 2004 18:55

OK, I'll admit to completely blowing off the Tascam booth this year, and it appears to be my loss.  I just learned about the Tascam DV-RA1000 and it seems to be the solution for anyone looking for a high powered 2 track recorder for mixdowns, 2-track archiving, etc.  And as a special bonus for a few of us, in addition to Hi-Res PCM files, this new box also works with DSD files!  

Hi Steve. You know, I blew it off, too, so have nothing to add other than it sounds like it could be a kewl concept.

A .pdf can be downloaded here...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

PP

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 12:04:50 PM »

Level

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 05:13:21 PM »

Brad asks:

Quote:

I should have said..."working on" since they are in the manufacturing stages (again after some fine tuning)

3 of them are of University marching band programs and one of them is for a Boy's choir. All of them should be available after the first of the year. SO far they are limited pressings and this is one reason they are so expensive.

Ronny states:

Quote:

but SACD is like Sony Playstation 2, you just can't stick em in your walkman or PC cdrom.

Things have changed since the debut of SACD's. Almost ALL of them now have a redbook layer imbedded within them so most if not all of the manufactured SACD's after 2003 are dual layer..compatable with the redbook standard.

One layer is high rez..the other is redbook.

Personally, I like the DVD-A standard just fine and I can burn them ready for use.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 09:59:53 PM »

Level wrote on Wed, 03 November 2004 16:13

Brad asks:

Quote:

I should have said..."working on" since they are in the manufacturing stages (again after some fine tuning)

Very cool - what did you use for the DSD portion of the mastering/editing/delivery? Tell us about the processing you did (what equipment used) and how the master was delivered (which format), if you will...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Level

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 10:44:54 PM »

No Editing, just toc, recorded from the 3529 tree and DPA Mic amplifiers, through the board, to the Tascam DS-D98, then tape to crest. Controlled recordings, no editing needed. No issues with any of the inserts of TOC. The marching bands were a challenge due to level. I did need to ride the gain a shade when tracking.

Piece of cake. I wish I had a second machine to have a DSD safety though. The safety is 24/192K hard drive recording using the computer. This was for emergency purposes.

Most DSD editing is done in PCM but I decided to not go there.

The fine tuning was to rearrange the TOC and HOPE the conversion is more transparent on the manufacturing end.

If not, DVD-A it is...and I know it sounds great.

BTW, I borrowed the Tascam. I really don't need to own one.

(I am waiting for Sony to get off their ass and make this an in the box solution, if they want DSD to be more accepted)

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 12:20:31 AM »

Ahh, so it was a 'direct to disk' thing with no mastering, eh?

Don't do any recording any more but am waiting for the phone to ring with an SACD request...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Level

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 12:27:00 AM »

The B&K's and where they were placed...plus all the attention to rehearsal made these really decent.

I took the PCM of the marching bands and did some mastering to see what I could do with them. ALL in all, I made them sound "larger" and brought the bottom into more of a studio type perspective but since they were outdoor recordings, the untouched performances were plenty fine. One thing for certain..the marching bands have 70dB signal to signal ratio. If it were not for attending many practices and doing mock setups..I would have been in a world of hurt with the levels. We are talking above 124dB peaks...outdoors!!!! (closer to 130)

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 01:33:41 PM »

Here are some details on the new recorder:

The new TASCAM DV-RA1000 recorder is a solution for recording high-resolution audio -- up to 192kHz/24-bit -- to inexpensive DVD media. The new recorder even features Sony's DSD format, the basis for audiophile Super Audio CDs, as an available recording format. Its professional I/O includes balanced XLR connections, AES/EBU and SDIF-3, and it records standard CD-DA, WAVE and DSDIFF files to CD and DVD discs. The DV-RA1000 can also operate as a professional CD recorder, recording standard audio CDs for studio or meeting room installations.

The TASCAM DV-RA1000 features digital recording formats from CD audio resolution all the way up to 192kHz/24-bit and DSD recording -- the formats used by DVD Audio and Super Audio CD. This rackmount stereo recorder features a user-friendly design on the front panel, professional connections on the back, USB 2.0 connector, RS-232 serial control and multiband compression and EQ.

Features:

• Stereo recording at up 192kHz/24-bit or DSD format
  • Records to DVD+RW, CD-R/RW media
  • Multiband compression and 3-band EQ mixdown effects
  • USB 2.0 connection to PC for use as DVD data drive
  • Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs
  • Balanced AES/EBU inputs and outputs, running at normal, double-speed and double-wire formats
  • SDIF-3 DSD input and output for external conversion and processing of DSD audio
  • Word Sync In, Out, Thru
  • RS-232C serial control
  • PS/2 keyboard connector for title editing
  • User-definable function keys
  • Large, backlit LCD display
  • Records to standard CD-DA, Broadcast Wave and DSDIFF formats
  • Dedicated input level control and adjustable maximum output level
  • 6% pitch control
  • Fade in/out
  • Power on play feature
  • Various play and record modes such as auto track increment, auto cue, auto ready, single/continuous play and program A/B play.
  • Wired remote control (RC-RA1000) included
  • Headphone output

http://aes.harmony-central.com/117AES/Content/Tascam/PR/DV-RA1000-sm.jpg
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

turtletone

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 01:48:40 PM »

I checked this out at the show and it looks kind of cool. It wasn't hooked up to anything so I didn't take a listen to it, not that you would be able to tell how anything sounds at the show anyways. But I really liked that it had the ability to record in pcm and DSD. If anyone actually takes this for a spin, I'd love to hear the results.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

dcollins

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 06:11:13 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Fri, 05 November 2004 10:48

I checked this out at the show and it looks kind of cool. It wasn't hooked up to anything so I didn't take a listen to it, not that you would be able to tell how anything sounds at the show anyways. But I really liked that it had the ability to record in pcm and DSD. If anyone actually takes this for a spin, I'd love to hear the results.

I've heard there is a way to make SACD ref's using a disc that has the PSP signal "pregrooved" but I've never seen one....

DC
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.