R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES Input for Running Masters  (Read 1099 times)

EricNDallas

AES Input for Running Masters
« on: November 02, 2004, 04:54:08 PM »

So here at my work they have decided that the masterlink needs to go and they want to be able to print mixes to another computer and have that accesible on our network. Right now we go Stereo Bus 9080J-> PSX100-> Masterlink.
There is an IMAC laying around and what I am looking for is a basic Firewire interface with At least 1 AES Inout and 1 AES output. I Don't need an A/D or D/A just AES IN/OUT. Of course Core Audio Compatibility as well. It seems most interfaces on the market have the converters and preamps and all that kind of stuff as well But I am just looking for bare bones AES In/Out.
Second questions is if the audio has already been converted externally what kind of quality issues are really needed besides reliabilty in the interface. I would think all it is doing is transfering a digital signal into the computer. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Eric

punkest

Re: AES Input for Running Masters
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 01:41:57 PM »

You are right Eric, there is nothing to worry about the signal, the interface would just work as a digital I/O for the computer. The only thing that you have to worry is that the pll of the interface locks to the output of your A/D and that your D/A locks to the output of your AES interface. (Assuming the A/D and the D/A are separate boxes). Well, not quite, another issue is how stable the interface driver runs in your computer and OS. For that matter I would recommend the MOTU 896HD, it has AES I/O, even though you would be paying for much more features than you need, but the drivers are very solid for OS X.  Also the Metric Halo 2882 has firewire to AES but also has other type of I/O so it is the same as the 896 in terms of paying for things you don?t need.  

Good luck

Hans Mues

EricNDallas

Re: AES Input for Running Masters
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 07:46:54 PM »

I really appreciate your reply. I have been waiting for an answer for sometime but I just kind of started convincing myself of that what you said. I will look into this.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 16 queries.