R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for mid-priced wireless Lav Mic set  (Read 1087 times)

Keyplayer

Looking for mid-priced wireless Lav Mic set
« on: November 01, 2004, 01:32:48 PM »

Can you guys recommend a good mid-priced wireless mic set that includes a Lav as well as hand held mic?

I need one for our church and I'm not sure about all the specs I'm reading. So far it looks like Shure, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser have the front runners. But I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples. Any advice available?

Keyplayer

Re: Looking for mid-priced wireless Lav Mic set
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 09:35:03 AM »

Hello? Anybody?

I've heard that Sennheiser makes the best units but Country Man has the best lavs and I should combine those 2 components. Any truth to this? I haven't found anybody selling Country Man mics.

PookyNMR

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »

LAV mics are the devil.  Smile  Major feedback problems waiting to happen.  You can't get too much gain before feedback out of them.  Having an insert EQ on a LAV mic channel can help a bit, but not solve the problem.  Hand held mics or headsets are a far better way to go.  Much more gain before feedback and the just plain sound better.

That said, go with something UHF - not VHF.  On a lot of the rigs that I run I see the Shure stuff a lot (w/ beta 58 capsule).  They work great.  AT stuff is good too.

My suggestion would be to go to your local retailer and go for a test run.  

Nathan
Nathan Rousu

Keyplayer

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:46:12 AM »

Which kind of headset/receiver system do you recommend?

PookyNMR

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 12:23:26 PM »

It's been a while since I've purchased one, but with the ones that I see from running shows, the AKG headset mics sound good and they are affordably priced.  I've also run with some AT sets that were nice too.

So I would look for something by either AKG or AT getting as good of a model as you can afford.  AKG has some nice condenser capsules that they put into some of their models.  For sure go mulit-channel UHF.  VHF sounds bad and seems to pick up more EMF interference.

My local retialer lets me 'loan' several models and test them before I purchase.  Maybe see if yours will do the same.  You might find a few quirks in your testing regardless of the published specs.

Nathan
Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.