R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSU. Which one?  (Read 1450 times)

judah

PSU. Which one?
« on: November 02, 2004, 08:26:03 AM »

Hi,
need an advice. I'm in the middle of restoring my D&R4000, a very simple and good sounding mid'80s board. I'd liek to put get a new PSU but don't know where to start. On the actual PSU frontpanel there are three leds:

1. 18V, 6,3A
2. -18V, 6.3A
3. +48V

Then there's teh power switch.
I'd like to test various opamps too and I know I need a bigger PSU to gor for it. Where do I have to start?

Cheers.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

John Klett

Re: PSU. Which one?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:38:30 AM »

You will want to keep the same voltages

The audio supplies would be two 18 volt linear power supplies having a higher current rating than 6.3 Amps.  The "+" plus and "-" minus polarities are accomplished by wiring the two supplies in series like batteries.  So you would have +18 volts on one end where the free positive terminal is, zero volts would be where the two supplies meet (where the minus of one supply meets the plus of the other supply) and the -18  volts would be at the other end at the free negative terminal.

the +48 volt supply can be 1 or 2 Amps and that is probably overkill.  If, on a 48 input console, you SHORTED all the pins of all the mic inputs (1 to 2 to 3) the drain on the 48 volt supply would  be less than 3/4 amp.

I generally use "Gold Box A series" single output power supplies made by Acopian.  It is always advisable to order them with terminal covers and over voltage protection and, for added protection, one could add a beefy double pole relay in series with the outputs of the plus/minus audio supplies which would be controlled by a circuit that holds the relay closed and passing power only when both supplies are on.  You need a delay in that circuit so both supplies can come up and stabilize first.

You could also use the ajustment pot to drop the voltages down to 17.5 volts.  18 volts is general the maximum rated volatge for IC's used for audio - some are 15 volts so you should always look at the data sheet.

Open frame power supplies from Power One are a a good choice if you can mount them into a chassis where all the dangerous voltages are covered.

an    8, 10 or 12 Amp supply should give you enough though is depends a bit on how many IC you change out and what current they draw as compared to the original parts.

John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

Bo Hansén

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 02:55:27 PM »

Hi Judah,

It is a common problem to buy analog/linear power supply for second hand consoles that can supply around +/- 18 volt 10 amps, the only company that can delivery this type of power supply (with out console) is actually D&R in Holland, (I hope they still do that) I have buy a couple of power supply for the D&R Cinemix console that the D&R named "analog PSU 1400VA" and it have +/-18 volt, and +48 volt and also a +/-12 volt some amps for logic/digital.
The price is around EUR 1500 include 10 meter cable between PSU and console. (Neutrik NL8FC console connector)
This is a very good build PSU with big heat sink and cooling fan and have a durable design with the old workhorse uA723 regulator that have 8 off parallel TIP3055 pass transistors in each +/- 18 volt supply.

I have use this PSU for a couple of large Amek Angela and TAC Magnum consoles with very satisfactory result.

--Bo  

Bo Hansén
Hansén Audio
Gothenburg, Sweden
http://www.hansenaudio.se

pounce

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 02:59:24 PM »

i have this psu. i am having my tech check the rails and condensers and so forth since i bought it (and console) used. however, it should be beefy enough.
cheers,
paul

paper street audio company
www.paperstreetaudio.com

judah

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 04:41:58 AM »

Thanks to all of you.
I'l check with D&R. I think that the PSU just need a check and maybe a little manteinance but I was curios to know if there was somethign else available.

Cheers.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.