R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MySpace  (Read 3578 times)

j.hall

MySpace
« on: October 25, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »

any of you guys using myspace accounts for networking or other reasons?

i started a pure volume account while the theta rhythm website gets built.  but you can't really network there.  so i just started a my space account.

NelsonL

Re: MySpace
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 05:35:24 PM »

We have an account--

http://www.myspace.com/thedyingcalifornian

I don't know too much about it to be honest. Amazing how many people I know on here when I start to poke around-- I'm sure that's not unique.

Seems like it could be a good way to run a band mailing list--

Conner

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:28:54 AM »

Please inform me on myspace.com, I think I know of a few people that use it but not sure exactly what it is.

Thanks.
-Conner

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 09:49:41 AM »

it's a glorified blog site.

check out my band's myspace page and you can get the idea.

http://www.myspace.com/secretclub

spankenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 02:23:52 PM »

weihfool

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 06:56:50 PM »

http://www.myspace.com/witheveryidlehour

We've gotten a few shows from it. Gained some new fans...

For the most part, you have to work it, like any other marketing avenue.

I know one local band that just did a search for all users who had "Taking Back Sunday" in their profile and all 5 guys in the band just started hammering all of these people with add requests.  They might've gotten something like 20 or so angry replies saying that they're assholes for doing what they're doing, but if you check their page, they have something like over 4000 people on their list.  

spankenstein

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »

weihfool wrote on Tue, 26 October 2004 17:56

http://www.myspace.com/witheveryidlehour

We've gotten a few shows from it. Gained some new fans...

For the most part, you have to work it, like any other marketing avenue.

I know one local band that just did a search for all users who had "Taking Back Sunday" in their profile and all 5 guys in the band just started hammering all of these people with add requests.  They might've gotten something like 20 or so angry replies saying that they're assholes for doing what they're doing, but if you check their page, they have something like over 4000 people on their list.  

I know it's like the cool thing to jsut add people so you look more popular but to me it kind of dilutes the purpose of these networkign sites if you just add whoever. It is good for getting shows. We've had a few shows just because we were on MySpace.

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »

well, for my band i'm concentrating on my local town.

it does me little good to get 4k "friends" if we don't tour and they don't even bother listening to our songs....

i figured if i concentrated my efforts on local people i know, and a lot i don't know, i could raise local awareness and possibly get a few folks out to shows who haven't come before.

that's really my only goal for my band's site.

my studio's site i'd like to build a network of fellow engineers, bands i like, and potential clients.....being a mix room only is a rather interesting marketing nightmare.

some bands love the idea, others think you are out of your mind thinking they will send stuff.....

i'm trying most anything i can that i haven't tried in the past.

volthause

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 04:12:11 PM »

I've got a personal myspace account, and my band has a myspace account. It's pretty cool. The band account has helped us get some shows locally, and we've had some offers to gig-swap with bands in other areas.

All in all it's a pretty cool tool, if you look at it for what it's capabilities really are.
--for rent.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 05:47:51 PM »

so do you think it's worth it to get an account. something inside me turns me off to the idea, just get images of emo and highschool bands. not that our band is that amazing i just feel like it seems somewhat unprofessional. networking of course is important i just feel i'd have a better time networking with bands at shows... now while this isn't true with your bands i've noticed most of the bands on these things are either aging metalheads or highschool pop punk or emo bands... not sure how many instrumental americana post-rock bands are out there...
mogwai love you and need you

Conner

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 08:39:56 AM »

I don't see why an independent band wouldn't want any free exposure...maybe it lumps you into a certain category to some but in that stage of a bands "career" networking and self promotion is vital to longevity. Especially with independents when no one even has money to record an album much less promote anything they currently have.
Sounds like a great idea to me. I get pissed at some of my friends bands around here that don't take whats handed to them for fear of "genre placement" by certain individuals. This to me is when I call them out about being "emo" about the whole situation.

my .02

-Conner

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 10:58:49 AM »

i'll take any exposure i can get!!

if my band ends up being teh favorite local highschool band that's fine with me.

i just want to grow the fan base as much as possible.

myspace has raised awareness of my band significantly.  and like i said before, i'm "networking" locally primarily.

Gregg Seibert

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 06:06:58 PM »

Did anyone read the Terms and Conditions agreement?  This is a quote from section 5c.

c. By posting Content on any public area of MySpace.com, you automatically grant as well as  represent and warrant that you have the right to grant to MySpace.com, an  irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use,                                                                                                          copy, perform, display, and distribute such information and content to                                                                                                          MySpace.com and that MySpace.com has the right to prepare derivative works of,  or incorporate into other works, such information and content, and to grant and  authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.

Not to get too paraniod, but doesn't this say they can use your posted pictures and songs however they want?  Maybe this doesn't matter anymore.  It took me a long time to take my own work seriously and consider it valuable, so I guess I think we all should.  Just my own paranoid thoughts.  YMMV.
Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzsche

spankenstein

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 09:41:56 PM »

I think that's pretty standard of any type of online promotional site. I put things up there to be noticed and if they want to use it in ways that would bring more attention then so be it!

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 09:31:32 AM »

i doubt myspace is going to do anything unethical with our music.

they just want to be able to promote and/or advertise anything that's drawing big traffic without waiting for someone to reply granting permision for use of material.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.