R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital mixdown w/o a DAW (masterlink or alternatives?)  (Read 1286 times)

12bit

digital mixdown w/o a DAW (masterlink or alternatives?)
« on: October 22, 2004, 12:17:09 AM »

my apologies if this has been beaten to a pulp already.  looking to purchase a system for mixdown to replace my aging DA-30.  no bells, no whistles, don't want to edit/compress/master/nothing, just mix down to two digital tracks.  

the masterlink seems, on paper, to do the job, but what i did find on prosound suggests there are quality issues with the units.  can anyone confirm or deny this, or suggest a cost effective alternative?  and no, i don't want to buy a computer.  thanks.

judah

Re: digital mixdown w/o a DAW (masterlink or alternatives?)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:02:38 AM »

Hi,
used the Masterlink a couple times for a live gig. Straight from the master out of the board with an RNC in Supernice mode in between to gentle it all out. The converters were pretty good and I had no problem at all. Maybe if you put a great 2 channel converter (Rosetta, Lavry, Mytek) in front of it you can get a solid 2 track machine for mixdown. I never loved DAT machine. Always got problem. Fostex D5, D20, D30, Panasonic SV3700. Always had munched tapes. But maybe it's just me.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

Fig

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 10:29:01 AM »

12bit wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 23:17

the masterlink seems, on paper, to do the job, but what i did find on prosound suggests there are quality issues with the units.  can anyone confirm or deny this, or suggest a cost effective alternative?  and no, i don't want to buy a computer.  thanks.

My studio has been using Masterlink as our primary mixdown destination since it first came out.  My only complaint is no connection for external harddrives (the first edition ML96000s have really small HDs).  I find it to be an excellent recorder and a decent playback device.  We've upgraded to OS2 - recommended.

It has to have been four or five years now, daily use, no issues -- we use the analog and the digital I/Os.

Mostly 16 bit work, but have been dabbling in the 20 and 24 bit realm as of late.

Beats the pants off ANY DAT machine, and far more straight forward than any computer (its an audio device, afterall  Cool ).

I was thinking perhaps the quality issues mentioned in prosound may have to do with roadworthiness?  I certainly would not tour with this thing.

I'm considering a second one for Control Room B (currently has an SV3700).

If your still using a DAT machine, definitely get an ML96000, especially if computers are out of the question.

$.02,

Fig

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 11:36:22 AM »

I'm pretty much with Fig.
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.